Post something you've learnt today

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Diamond Dog » 30 Jul 2019, 19:11

Tom Waits For No One wrote:Do tell

She lives about 7 miles from me (she has a house in Devon too, but she lives the vast majority of her time in leafy South Oxfordshire).

Her postie (Chris) has got to know her really well (he gets a nice tip from her at xmas and a card etc) and we managed to find a way for me to 'accompany' him to her house today..... as his manager, I was out on a 'how we do the job' reporting thing. Chris rang her door - Danny answered. He was very talkative, gave me the third degree about when I decided to 'go to the dark side' and become a manager and gave me the talk about Sir Giles Gilbert Scott etc, which I wasn't aware of... and then I confessed that I was a huge fan of hers and Chris told how I'd actually got a ticket for the Hammersmith shows... he was genuinely interested in what I thought of it (he said he went to quite a few of them but not all) and said how much she was absolutely bowled over by the fans reactions. Chris actually said he was hoping to give Kate her birthday cards in person and he said "Should I go and get her?"..... and then said "I don't think so...". The dream accomplished and sunk in two sentences! We chatted for about twenty minutes and then had to go. Lovely guy - very funny and down to earth (and he thinks Brexit is going to be, in his words, 'a fucking disaster' so kudos for that too).

Top day. As close as I'm ever likely to get to her but, hey, we shouldn't be greedy should we?
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 30 Jul 2019, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 30 Jul 2019, 21:00

Wow

:mrgreen:
Give a shit or be a shit.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 31 Jul 2019, 08:01

I learned there’s a house just gone up for sale in South Oxfordshire.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 31 Jul 2019, 15:32

Hugh wrote:I learned there’s a house just gone up for sale in South Oxfordshire.

:lol:
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 05 Aug 2019, 19:38

The restaurant La Tour d'Argent in Paris has a wine cellar which contains more than 450,000 bottles whose value was estimated in 2009 at 25 million euros (£22.5 million). Some 15,000 wines are offered to diners on a 400-page, 7.5kilo wine list.
Cocaine

Six String

Postby Six String » 05 Aug 2019, 20:07

Diamond Dog wrote:The restaurant La Tour d'Argent in Paris has a wine cellar which contains more than 450,000 bottles whose value was estimated in 2009 at 25 million euros (£22.5 million). Some 15,000 wines are offered to diners on a 400-page, 7.5kilo wine list.

That would be Mecca in my world except for the financial part of it. I think the biggest list I've experienced was 25-30 pages.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 05 Aug 2019, 20:33

Six String wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:The restaurant La Tour d'Argent in Paris has a wine cellar which contains more than 450,000 bottles whose value was estimated in 2009 at 25 million euros (£22.5 million). Some 15,000 wines are offered to diners on a 400-page, 7.5kilo wine list.

That would be Mecca in my world except for the financial part of it. I think the biggest list I've experienced was 25-30 pages.

There are some vintages available for as little as £60 a bottle, Les.

But not too many, I'd hazard a guess!
Cocaine

Six String

Postby Six String » 05 Aug 2019, 21:28

Diamond Dog wrote:
Six String wrote:

There are some vintages available for as little as £60 a bottle, Les.

But not too many, I'd hazard a guess!

I'm sure there are some bargains if you know what to look for. I'd be up for a challenge.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 08 Aug 2019, 13:46

I took a trip through nutbar FB last night and learned that Texit is the latest hope of the right wing lunatic fringe here in Texas.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Six String

Postby Six String » 08 Aug 2019, 16:23

Still Baron wrote:I took a trip through nutbar FB last night and learned that Texit is the latest hope of the right wing lunatic fringe here in Texas.

That has been going on since I was old enough to pay attention to such things, maybe longer. Same types want to split California between north and south and leave the U.S.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 08 Aug 2019, 17:16

Six String wrote:
Still Baron wrote:I took a trip through nutbar FB last night and learned that Texit is the latest hope of the right wing lunatic fringe here in Texas.

That has been going on since I was old enough to pay attention to such things, maybe longer. Same types want to split California between north and south and leave the U.S.

Yeah but now there’s social media where people can gather and egg each other on. And they have a manifesto and an “expert,” it seems. The people talking about this on the internet are totally up for bloodshed.

http://tnm.me/
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Aug 2019, 17:33

Red Lupin have clearly decided to have an away day in BCB.
Cocaine

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 11 Aug 2019, 01:00

In parts of India, people who ran elephant fights used to feed the elephants balls of human ear wax, which had the effect of sending them bananas and making them aggressive. Barbers would collect the ear wax from customers and sell it for this purpose.
I sort of wish I had never found this out to be honest.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 11 Aug 2019, 14:49

Minnie the Minx wrote:In parts of India, people who ran elephant fights used to feed the elephants balls of human ear wax, which had the effect of sending them bananas and making them aggressive. Barbers would collect the ear wax from customers and sell it for this purpose.

I want to know how and why and by whom it was discovered that human ear wax drove elephants bonkers.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 11 Aug 2019, 16:46

harvey k-tel wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:In parts of India, people who ran elephant fights used to feed the elephants balls of human ear wax, which had the effect of sending them bananas and making them aggressive. Barbers would collect the ear wax from customers and sell it for this purpose.

I want to know how and why and by whom it was discovered that human ear wax drove elephants bonkers.

The elephants don't know that it's human wax. They just think that one of their fellow elephants has been given special treatment (getting its ears cleaned), and not only are they not being offered the same consideration, they're being fed the other elephant's wax. You can see how such disrespect would rile them up.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 11 Aug 2019, 20:27

harvey k-tel wrote:

I know! That's EXACTLY what we said. How the hell did that happen!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String

Postby Six String » 11 Aug 2019, 20:34

How much earwax does it take to do the job? How long does it take a barber to collect it? How much does it cost?
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 12 Aug 2019, 10:44

This is a "mimi-kaki" or ear scraper. You can scrape wax out by yourself but there is a kind of Japanese tradition where one places their head on a loved one's lap - ear up - while the loved one - a wife and husband, father and daughter, mother and child - scrapes wax out of the ear. Nothing feels better, especially the dusting with the mimi-kaki's feathered ball when you're all scraped out. My wife did it for me when we were dating and that's when I knew I had to marry the girl.
Question authority.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 12 Aug 2019, 19:04

Jimbo wrote:Image
My wife did it for me when we were dating and that's when I knew I had to marry the girl.

So what did you actually learn 'today'?
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 18 Aug 2019, 11:00

Ohio had the second highest opioids death count in the U.S., 4,293.
https://wemeantwell.com/blog/2019/08/03 ... s-in-2020/
Question authority.

Return to “Nextdoorland”