Danny Boyle's Yesterday

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: Danny Boyle's Yesterday

Postby GoogaMooga » 13 Aug 2019, 00:49

The Modernist wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:I think that with the Beatles, the Brits are well aware on what magnitude of scale that band represents British culture. More than Bond, Rolls, Earl Grey tea, more than all the rest.

Don't believe it, most Brits under 40 are clueless about popular culture. They know they were famous, but most would struggle to name more than four songs.

The last big splash was in 95-96, when those Brits would have been 15 or younger. You've got a point there. But that is one fast fade! :o
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 13 Aug 2019, 12:29

It was a vaguely amusing trailer.
I doubt I’d even bother watching it on a plane.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 13 Aug 2019, 12:41

The Modernist wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:I think that with the Beatles, the Brits are well aware on what magnitude of scale that band represents British culture. More than Bond, Rolls, Earl Grey tea, more than all the rest.

Don't believe it, most Brits under 40 are clueless about popular culture. They know they were famous, but most would struggle to name more than four songs.

A sad indictment but I suspect most Brits under 40 wouldn’t know who Winston Churchill was.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 13 Aug 2019, 15:08

Lord Rother wrote:
The Modernist wrote:

A sad indictment but I suspect most Brits under 40 wouldn’t know who Winston Churchill was.

Then they wouldn't know about Clement Attlee either. I can't speak for Danish youth, I have very little contact with them, but I suspect it might be the same. In our youth, we had a fairly good grip on the whole 20th century. Perhaps it's because society is changing so fast, they are too busy just keeping up. And of course, over-reliance on google is not good for general knowledge.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 13 Aug 2019, 16:16

:lol: :roll:
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 13 Aug 2019, 17:12

Roll all you want, there have been studies made about the impact of google on general knowledge. It's a bit like pocket calculators, they also had an adverse effect on people's ability to make calculations in the head.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 13 Aug 2019, 18:18

GoogaMooga wrote:Roll all you want

Thanks! Don’t mind if I do!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 13 Aug 2019, 18:24

Still Baron wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Roll all you want

Thanks! Don’t mind if I do!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Well done! :lol:

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 13 Aug 2019, 21:48

Lord Rother wrote:
The Modernist wrote:

Given the hero worship he is given and a recent Oscar winning performance (undeserved in my mind) by Gary Oldman, I would respectfully disagree.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 14 Aug 2019, 00:53

Yeah I was rolling my eyes at that too. Complete nonsense.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 14 Aug 2019, 01:36

Still Baron wrote:Yeah I was rolling my eyes at that too. Complete nonsense.

Baron, I probably can't convince you otherwise, but think about it - how can deep study, book reading, total immersion not contribute more to a person's general knowledge than random quick fixes on google?

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 14 Aug 2019, 16:22

I may have exaggerated a little..... :D

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... years.html

Oh and :roll:

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 14 Aug 2019, 16:57

Lord Rother wrote:

I may have exaggerated a little..... :D

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... years.html

Oh and :roll:

Oh and........ an article from 9 years ago is 7 years before the film that put Winnie right back in the public eye. :roll: ;)
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 14 Aug 2019, 17:11

and, of course, he's been on the £5 note since 2016

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 14 Aug 2019, 17:50

Double post. Sorry.
Last edited by Muskrat on 14 Aug 2019, 17:53, edited 2 times in total.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Muskrat
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 14 Aug 2019, 17:51

Jeemo wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:

Given the hero worship he is given and a recent Oscar winning performance (undeserved in my mind) by Gary Oldman, I would respectfully disagree.

Yeah - “Darkest Hour” was the teen date night movie of the year, and even the pre-teens ate up David Schofield’s Clement Atlee!

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 14 Aug 2019, 18:59

Muskrat wrote:
Jeemo wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:

Yeah - “Darkest Hour” was the teen date night movie of the year, and even the pre-teens ate up David Schofield’s Clement Atlee!

:roll:

I was making the point that Churchill's profile would've been raised by the film and Oscar for Oldman.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Muskrat

Postby Muskrat » 14 Aug 2019, 19:39

Jeemo wrote: :roll:

I was making the point that Churchill's profile would've been raised by the film and Oscar for Oldman.

And I was attempting to make the point that anybody with the slightest interest in the film would already be aware of Churchill. And those who'd inadvertently stumbled in, or were dragged along by their parents, wouldn't have anything to grab hold of and take home with them. Except maybe a lobby standup of Kristen Scott Thomas in her "Clementine" outfit.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 14 Aug 2019, 20:45

Muskrat wrote:
Jeemo wrote: :roll:

And I was attempting to make the point that anybody with the slightest interest in the film would already be aware of Churchill. And those who'd inadvertently stumbled in, or were dragged along by their parents, wouldn't have anything to grab hold of and take home with them. Except maybe a lobby standup of Kristen Scott Thomas in her "Clementine" outfit.

I wasn't meaning that the film would've been seen by these "youths" but at the time of its release and success in the UK, it was everywhere. Every bus shelter in my area had a poster for it.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 14 Aug 2019, 22:30

Although I may have been over-egging it a little (by saying “most Brits”) I’m not sure you realise just how dumb the majority of Brits actually are.

Return to “Yakety Yak”