Stormwatch: 40th Anniversary Force 10 Edition

Do talk back
Mike Boom

Stormwatch: 40th Anniversary Force 10 Edition

Postby Mike Boom » 18 Jul 2019, 13:58

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/jethro-tull-stormwatch-40th-anniversary-edition-due-in-october/

JETHRO TULL released "Stormwatch" in September 1979, completing a folk-rock trilogy the band started with "Songs From The Wood" in 1977 and continued the following year with "Heavy Horses". Certified gold in the U.S., "Stormwatch" was also the final album to feature the classic late-1970s JETHRO TULL lineup, which included Ian Anderson, Martin Barre, John Glascock, John Evan, David (now Dee) Palmer and Barriemore Barlow.

To celebrate the album's upcoming anniversary, Rhino will release "Stormwatch: 40th Anniversary Force 10 Edition". This new 4CD/2DVD set will be available on October 11.

Highlights include:

* Original album and associated recordings newly remixed by Steven Wilson
* Full concert from the Netherlands recorded in March 1980
* Original album and 13 associated recordings mixed to 5.1 DTS and AC3 Dolby Digital
* Flat transfer of the original 1979 mix at 96/24 LPCM stereo

* 15 associated recordings mixed to 96/24 LPCM stereo and five original mixes at 96/24 LPCM stereo
* Presented in a case-bound DVD book filled with an extensive history of the album, track-by-track annotations by Anderson and Palmer, rare photographs and more

The recording sessions for "Stormwatch" stretched from August 1978 to July 1979 as the album's ecological and maritime themes slowly came into focus on songs like "North Sea Oil" and "Flying Dutchman". The band recorded several tracks that were left off the album because they didn't fit the theme. Many of those can be found on the second disc of this set, including "Man Of God", "Crossword", "Kelpie" and "The Lyricon Blues". In addition to those outtakes, the disc also features early versions of the album tracks "Dark Ages" and "Dun Ringill".

"Stormwatch: 40th Anniversary Force 10 Edition" also includes a previously unreleased recording of JETHRO TULL's concert at Congreßgebouw in the Netherlands on March 16, 1980. The career-spanning performance mixed then-new "Stormwatch" tracks ("Something's On The Move", "Home" and "Elegy") with older hits, like "Locomotive Breath", "Aqualung", "Thick As A Brick" and "Minstrel In The Gallery".

"Stormwatch: 40th Anniversary Force 10 Edition" concludes with two audio-only DVDs that feature various mixes of the original album along with the associated recordings featured in this set.

"Stormwatch" marked the end of an era for JETHRO TULL. Due to his deteriorating health, bassist John Glascock missed most of the sessions for the album and only appears on three of its songs ("Flying Dutchman", "Orion" and "Elegy"). Tragically, Glascock died shortly after the album was released. The lineup changed even more following the tour to promote the album as Barlow, Evan and Palmer left the group.

"Stormwatch: 40th Anniversary Force 10 Edition" track listing:

Disc One: Steven Wilson Remix of Original Album

01. North Sea Oil
02. Orion
03. Home
04. Dark Ages
05. Warm Sporran
06. Something's On The Move
07. Old Ghosts
08. Dun Ringill
09. Flying Dutchman
10. Elegy

Disc Two: Associated Recordings

01. Crossword
02. Dark Ages (early version) [Previously Unreleased]
03. Kelpie
04. Dun Ringill (early version) [Previously Unreleased On CD]
05. A Stitch In Time
06. A Single Man [Previously Unreleased]
07. Broadford Bazaar
08. King Henry's Madrigal
09. Orion (full version) [Previously Unreleased]
10. Urban Apocalypse [Previously Unreleased]
11. The Lyricon Blues
12. Man Of God [Previously Unreleased]
13. Rock Instrumental (unfinished master) [Previously Unreleased]
14. Prelude To A Storm [Previously Unreleased]
15. Sweet Dream (live)

Disc Three: Live in the Netherlands (March 16. 1980) [Previously Unreleased]

01. Intro
02. Dark Ages
03. Home
04. Orion
05. Dun Ringill
06. Elegy
07. Old Ghosts
08. Something's On The Move
09. Aqualung
10. Peggy's Pub
11. Jack-In-The-Green
12. King Henry's Madrigal / Drum Solo
13. Heavy Horses

Disc Four: Live in the Netherlands (March 16. 1980) [Previously Unreleased]

01. Flute Solo (incl. "Bourée/Soirée/God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/Kelpie")
02. Keyboard Duet (Bach's Prelude in Cm from the "Well-Tempered Clavier 1")
03. Songs From The Wood
04. Hunting Girl
05. Jams O'Donnel's Jigs
06. Thick As A Brick
07. Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young To Die!
08. Cross-Eyed Mary
09. Guitar Solo
10. Minstrel In The Gallery
11. Locomotive Breath
12. Dambusters March

DVD One: Audio Only

* "Stormwatch" mixed to 5.1 DTS and AC3 Dolby Digital
* Flat transfer of the original 1979 mix at 96/24 LPCM stereo

DVD Two: Audio Only

* Contains 13 associated recordings mixed to 5.1 DTS and AC3 Dolby Digital
* 15 associated recordings mixed to 96/24 LPCM stereo
* Five original mixes at 96/24 LPCM stereo

Charlie O.

Re: Stormwatch: 40th Anniversary Force 10 Edition

Postby Charlie O. » 18 Jul 2019, 14:29

Stormwatch was the last Tull album I bought upon release. Being a teenaged fan, I convinced myself that it was better than it is. Though I harbor no such illusions now, I'll buy this. I love these packages, and I'm thinking the live set just might be really good.

C
Robust

Postby C » 18 Jul 2019, 14:32

I'm satisfied with the original CD

I'm only interested in the live CDs - perhaps they'll release those separately….

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 18 Jul 2019, 15:37

As I've got all the other Wilson Tull boxes, I'll get this one. But no, it's not one their better '70s efforts. Unfortunately, it's not like they made a better album after this either.

C
Robust

Postby C » 18 Jul 2019, 17:14

Matt Wilson wrote:As I've got all the other Wilson Tull boxes, I'll get this one. But no, it's not one their better '70s efforts. Unfortunately, it's not like they made a better album after this either.

I like it but to be honest, although I have all the other Tull boxes, I don't play them [the boxes that is]

No better album after Stormwatch - an interesting one...

Broadsword and Crest of I love, but more than Stormwatch…?

Perhaps - I certainly listen to them more

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 18 Jul 2019, 22:17

I'm a latecomer to these Tull deluxe editions. Really enjoyed Songs from the wood and Heavy Horses, Don't own/havent heard this one and the fact they dont come cheap means ill need to jump on a cheap copy of the original first to sample.

Carlisle Wheeling

Postby Carlisle Wheeling » 29 Jul 2019, 16:28

Like Matt, I’ve got all the SW boxes and I’m looking forward to this one. To my ears ALL of the SW remixes sound better than the original CDs and most of the vinyl. I think I’ve played Too Old more times since the box was released than I had in the previous 40 years. The bonus tracks have also been well worth the investment.

I’d like to see the series continued, certainly to include Broadsword (SW rumoured to be onboard), A and Under Wraps.

But we’ll see.

HotRats

Postby HotRats » 30 Jul 2019, 17:58

I hope nothing ever happens to Steven Wilson, otherwise the prog Remixing business would collapse overnight.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 30 Jul 2019, 18:12

Carlisle Wheeling wrote:Like Matt, I’ve got all the SW boxes and I’m looking forward to this one. To my ears ALL of the SW remixes sound better than the original CDs and most of the vinyl. I think I’ve played Too Old more times since the box was released than I had in the previous 40 years. The bonus tracks have also been well worth the investment.

I’d like to see the series continued, certainly to include Broadsword (SW rumoured to be onboard), A and Under Wraps.

But we’ll see.

I played the first five Wilson/Tull boxes the other night, so they're fresh in my mind. I quick overview:

This Was - I love it. I know a lot of Tull fans think it's too bluesy, not enough Ian, etc. I don't care. The band never sounded like this again.
Stand Up - An early highlight. Better songwriting for one thing. Close to perfection even if the last three songs don't really do it for me.
Benefit - Not quite as good as Stand Up, but the production is better. About as good, quality-wise, as This Was.
Aqualung - The best album they ever made, song-for-song. Not a wasted moment.
Thick as a Brick - If Aqualung isn't their best, certainly this is. Ian's songwriting was growing by leaps and bounds at this stage in his career. He pulls off the one-song-over-an-LP-side as well as can be expected. Side two isn't as full of ideas as side one, but maybe it doesn't need to be.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 30 Jul 2019, 21:44

Carlisle Wheeling wrote:Like Matt, I’ve got all the SW boxes and I’m looking forward to this one. To my ears ALL of the SW remixes sound better than the original CDs and most of the vinyl. I think I’ve played Too Old more times since the box was released than I had in the previous 40 years. The bonus tracks have also been well worth the investment.

But we’ll see.

This, in a nutshell :roll:
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 30 Jul 2019, 22:10

Matt Wilson wrote:
I played the first five Wilson/Tull boxes the other night, so they're fresh in my mind. I quick overview:

This Was - I love it. I know a lot of Tull fans think it's too bluesy, not enough Ian, etc. I don't care. The band never sounded like this again.
Stand Up - An early highlight. Better songwriting for one thing. Close to perfection even if the last three songs don't really do it for me.
Benefit - Not quite as good as Stand Up, but the production is better. About as good, quality-wise, as This Was.
Aqualung - The best album they ever made, song-for-song. Not a wasted moment.
Thick as a Brick - If Aqualung isn't their best, certainly this is. Ian's songwriting was growing by leaps and bounds at this stage in his career. He pulls off the one-song-over-an-LP-side as well as can be expected. Side two isn't as full of ideas as side one, but maybe it doesn't need to be.

Indeed, that is an amazing run of albums, easily the match of Zeppelins or anyone else's first five.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 09 Oct 2019, 21:21

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8532463/ian-anderson-jethro-tull-dun-ringill

Write up here at billboard includes a nice early version of Dun Ringill

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 09 Oct 2019, 21:41

I have a soft spot for Stormwatch - not a classic, but more than passeable.

Awful cover though.

C
Robust

Postby C » 10 Oct 2019, 11:28

Carlisle Wheeling wrote:To my ears ALL of the SW remixes sound better than the original CDs

For me that's not the case with Benefit. I prefer the slightly 'muddy' sound of, in particular, Son, A Time for Everything and Inside

I was quite shocked when I heard the 'tidied up' SW versions of those tracks

Sacrilege!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 10 Oct 2019, 12:52

C wrote:
Carlisle Wheeling wrote:To my ears ALL of the SW remixes sound better than the original CDs

For me that's not the case with Benefit. I prefer the slightly 'muddy' sound of, in particular, Son, A Time for Everything and Inside

Sacrilege!

I actually agree with C here (and kinda feel the same about Stand Up and Aqualung.). I also hated that he fixed the "wrong" note (which I never knew was a wrong note) at the very end of "Son", even though he almost certainly did so at Anderson's behest.

Otherwise I've generally been happy enough with the remixes... but the only one that has firmly supplanted the original for me is A Passion Play. (And, moving beyond Tull, Close To The Edge.)

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 Oct 2019, 16:12

Charlie O. wrote:.. but the only one that has firmly supplanted the original for me is A Passion Play.

That really is a nice set, isn't it? Not only superlative sound, but all of the Chateau Distaster tapes are presented without the '80s overdubs. And yes, I do think that would've made for a more listener-friendly album.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 10 Oct 2019, 16:23

Matt Wilson wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:.. but the only one that has firmly supplanted the original for me is A Passion Play.

That really is a nice set, isn't it? Not only superlative sound, but all of the Chateau Distaster tapes are presented without the '80s overdubs. And yes, I do think that would've made for a more listener-friendly album.

It was the extra verse in the "Foot Of Our Stairs" section that clinched it for me. Not a great lyric, but it improves it structurally.

As I don't think anyone else has mentioned it here, the books in these sets are fantastic - really interesting, really entertaining. Even if the audio content was a disaster, the sets might be worth it just for the books!

`

Postby ` » 10 Oct 2019, 16:33

Went off Tull after Heavy Horses and only recently started to get back into them again. Even went to see them a while back. Sadly, the years have not treated IA's voice "well" at all. If he'd only asked me, I'd advised him to steer well clear of the waist coated pot belly stage duds he now sports. The best thing that came out of it is that I rediscovered what a stunning album Aqualung is when I gave my old vinyl album a spin and coughed up for the SW remix/remaster.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 18 Oct 2019, 17:48

Charlie O. wrote:
C wrote:

Sacrilege!

I actually agree with C here (and kinda feel the same about Stand Up and Aqualung.). I also hated that he fixed the "wrong" note (which I never knew was a wrong note) at the very end of "Son", even though he almost certainly did so at Anderson's behest.

Benefit is the only SW Tull album I've heard, and it's been great to hear "into" the album in a different way. It'll never supplant the original, but now I know a bit more about the music.

I was wondering about the last note of "Son" as well. We assume that every detail is pored over, but sometimes, things like muting the overhanging guitar get forgotten about. OR it was "oh I had forgotten that guitar note, let's keep that in just to be different." Have either SW or IA commented on it? Was it a mistake on the original?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 18 Oct 2019, 17:50

The only problem with being SW and getting a chance to remix and remaster great albums like Stand Up and Aqualung is that eventually you'll have to do Stormwatch.

:mrgreen:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Return to “Yakety Yak”