MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Minnie the Minx » 16 Jul 2019, 10:33

I think when back in States I might see if I can find someone Estonian to just talk to, which seems like the best way to keep learning.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

savoirefaire
Location: formerly pore of sin...ga!, way of nor and currently pan of Ja!

Postby savoirefaire » 16 Jul 2019, 10:38

Minnie the Minx wrote:I think when back in States I might see if I can find someone Estonian to just talk to, which seems like the best way to keep learning.

It is! I suspect I only know as much as I do only because I live here. I really should get into anime or something. I prefer going to the pub :lol:
Kid P wrote:*Deleted*
Should have quoted SF

Sneelock wrote:I'm never bored. I'm boring. I think of it as a lifestyle choice!

[img]//upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Fundraising_2009-horizontal-thanks-en.png[/img]

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 16 Jul 2019, 10:42

savoirefaire wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:I think when back in States I might see if I can find someone Estonian to just talk to, which seems like the best way to keep learning.

It is! I suspect I only know as much as I do only because I live here. I really should get into anime or something. I prefer going to the pub :lol:

Don’t we all!

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 18 Jul 2019, 00:14

As we've bored you with on Facebook, we've just had two weeks in Estonia. We went to Laulupidu, which is this:

As amazing as the video is, it doesn't do the enormity of the involvement of the population justice. It feels like half of Estonia is there, with at least a third of them in national dress. I wore my Mum's national costume which she had never worn in free Estonia and I met up with siblings from mum's first marriage, which was cathartic and important and genuinely life changing for me for details that I won't bore you much with.

I had practiced my Estonian hard before I went, but even then it is such a difficult language to master. The trip has made me determined to continue to learn and practice. The trip also made me determined to apply for my citizenship. For all the times I have visited, this time something clicked deep in my innards and I felt an Estonian ET style finger reaching out to mine.

One of the best parts of the trip was the visit to the south of Estonia to visit the grave of my grandfather who I never met. He is buried in the most dazzling, dank, dark, green cemetery covered with tree canopies. Finding it was half adventure, half panic - I had only ever seen a picture of the gravestone and we looked round the area that he was reputed to be in for what seemed like ages until we turned a corner and there he was, with, to my surprise, my great aunt and uncle and cousin, who I also never met. They were buried in the same plot. My cousin had what looked like a very old candle, so someone had been, but not recently. I know I have relatives all over Estonia, and I was holding on to a hope that someone would rock up and look at me and wonder what I was doing there and we'd both then draw a family tree to explain who we were.

We tidied up the plot, and were faced with the question - how do you clean old graves? I had no idea what you should use on them, and we were looking up "how to clean a grave" with increasing worry that we might damage things. In the end, we just wiped the fronts down with water and a soft cloth, and peeled some moss from the inside of the lettering. We pulled grass off the names that were covering my other relatives then weeded around the strangely large piles of fox shit. We finished off with some cornflowers, and then lit some candles and opened the champagne and sat and hung with my folks. It was a lovely, sunny day and we could have cheerfully put out deckchairs and nodded off under the bobbing branches.

Can't wait to go back.

Dr Markus wrote:

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 18 Jul 2019, 11:30

Hello, S x
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

savoirefaire

Postby savoirefaire » 18 Jul 2019, 13:21

Belle Lettre wrote:Hello, S x

Hallo there! Hope your trip is going well xx
Should have quoted SF

Sneelock wrote:I'm never bored. I'm boring. I think of it as a lifestyle choice!

[img]//upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Fundraising_2009-horizontal-thanks-en.png[/img]

savoirefaire

Postby savoirefaire » 18 Jul 2019, 13:21

--
Last edited by savoirefaire on 18 Jul 2019, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.
Should have quoted SF

savoirefaire

Postby savoirefaire » 18 Jul 2019, 13:22

Minnie the Minx wrote:As we've bored you with on Facebook, we've just had two weeks in Estonia. We went to Laulupidu, which is this:

As amazing as the video is, it doesn't do the enormity of the involvement of the population justice. It feels like half of Estonia is there, with at least a third of them in national dress. I wore my Mum's national costume which she had never worn in free Estonia and I met up with siblings from mum's first marriage, which was cathartic and important and genuinely life changing for me for details that I won't bore you much with.

I had practiced my Estonian hard before I went, but even then it is such a difficult language to master. The trip has made me determined to continue to learn and practice. The trip also made me determined to apply for my citizenship. For all the times I have visited, this time something clicked deep in my innards and I felt an Estonian ET style finger reaching out to mine.

One of the best parts of the trip was the visit to the south of Estonia to visit the grave of my grandfather who I never met. He is buried in the most dazzling, dank, dark, green cemetery covered with tree canopies. Finding it was half adventure, half panic - I had only ever seen a picture of the gravestone and we looked round the area that he was reputed to be in for what seemed like ages until we turned a corner and there he was, with, to my surprise, my great aunt and uncle and cousin, who I also never met. They were buried in the same plot. My cousin had what looked like a very old candle, so someone had been, but not recently. I know I have relatives all over Estonia, and I was holding on to a hope that someone would rock up and look at me and wonder what I was doing there and we'd both then draw a family tree to explain who we were.

We tidied up the plot, and were faced with the question - how do you clean old graves? I had no idea what you should use on them, and we were looking up "how to clean a grave" with increasing worry that we might damage things. In the end, we just wiped the fronts down with water and a soft cloth, and peeled some moss from the inside of the lettering. We pulled grass off the names that were covering my other relatives then weeded around the strangely large piles of fox shit. We finished off with some cornflowers, and then lit some candles and opened the champagne and sat and hung with my folks. It was a lovely, sunny day and we could have cheerfully put out deckchairs and nodded off under the bobbing branches.

Can't wait to go back.

This is just a sublime read! xx
Should have quoted SF

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 20 Jul 2019, 01:27

Tonight I met up with old workmates many of whom I haven't seen in over 15 years. Had a fuckin ball. Half cut and I am going to sleep. Night night.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 23 Jul 2019, 01:47

Today's BCB birthday list is impressive!

Dr Markus wrote:

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 23 Jul 2019, 12:02

I certainly miss crgpussy. One of the greats.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 23 Jul 2019, 14:50

Lets hear it for the Dior quads and the pussy sextuplets.

1980 quite some some year for multiple birth post-punk baby boomers.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Six String

Postby Six String » 28 Jul 2019, 20:38

Last night I was heading out the door for a cider and I heard an accordion a few houses down. A neighbor was playing on his porch with a guitarist and it sounded really good. So I stood there for a while listening and then he waved me over so I went back in the house and got a guitar and went over and joined them. They handed me a beer and we ended up playing Mexican folk music for an hour and a half. I had only met the women of the house once before when I took them some of their mail that had been delivered at my house. So I didn't know Jorge and didn't know he played an instrument. This could turn into a regular thing I think.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Jul 2019, 21:43

Six String wrote:Last night I was heading out the door for a cider and I heard an accordion a few houses down. A neighbor was playing on his porch with a guitarist and it sounded really good. So I stood there for a while listening and then he waved me over so I went back in the house and got a guitar and went over and joined them. They handed me a beer and we ended up playing Mexican folk music for an hour and a half. I had only met the women of the house once before when I took them some of their mail that had been delivered at my house. So I didn't know Jorge and didn't know he played an instrument. This could turn into a regular thing I think.

Excellent!!

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 07 Aug 2019, 07:52

I dj'd at the cider tasting room and they were making woodfired pizzas in the outdoor oven so after I was done I got to make my own pizza to take home. The dough was made so it was just rolling it out and addng ingredients for the top. Turned out pretty respectable. My first time so it was fun.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 07 Aug 2019, 21:15

This afternoon I met up with The Wee Guy and Madame for a few hours. I had a lovely time and so did they.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 Aug 2019, 13:55

I cycled to work today and caught the sunrise. It was astonishing. Like a fuzzy pink blanket on the land.

Dr Markus wrote:

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 14 Aug 2019, 14:10

Soaking in the hot bath (41 degrees) at my gym is an important part of healing my leg. I go every day. Tonight, however, the bath water was tepid (35 degrees). Pissed off I made a mental note to complain at the front desk. On my way out I told a clerk and he apologized and said they'd look into the matter right away. I asked if anyone else complained. Knowing the Japanese character I was pretty sure no one had and sure as shit I was the first complainer. :x
Question authority.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 17 Aug 2019, 22:54

Dun with the cracklin'. Lost another chip off a molar today. Cola and cigarette smoke really make your teeth brittle. And then my fridge broke down. And on a Saturday night! Oh well, there must be billions who live without a fridge, so can I, for now...
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Six String

Postby Six String » 19 Aug 2019, 17:36

In a NYT article on hiccups, one of the ways listed to treat it is a digital rectal massage. :o
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Return to “Nextdoorland”