The most compressed CD I have ever heard

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

The most compressed CD I have ever heard

Postby GoogaMooga » 20 Jul 2019, 22:38

Bought the 2CD slimline Oasis comp, "Stop the Clocks", today at a flea market. Now, I had already been warned that this particular set had "issues", shall we say, but I was not quite prepared for what I heard. At 30 pence, and having got everything else by them, I thought I'd give it a chance. It is ear-bleedingly compressed, completely brickwalled. I couldn't play the first track to the end. Such a shame. Will there ever be as comprehensive a comp by them on CD? I doubt it. This was their big chance, but they blew it. Since then, we've had a single CD comp, which has much better sound, lots of dynamic range. Of course, I got that one too.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Tom Waits For No One

Re: The most compressed CD I have ever heard

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 21 Jul 2019, 01:24

You could try

Or

Give a shit or be a shit.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 21 Jul 2019, 06:25

Yes, that's the one. Much better sound.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Jul 2019, 19:00

The most painful album I've ever listened to, because of the abysmal mastering etc.

And I fucking love Bruce!
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 21 Jul 2019, 19:18

In a way, I can understand that old dudes like Bruce and as an exemple Peter Hammill (who butchered his back catalogue and VdGGs, when he himself remastered them) as they are old and been playing music all their lifes, and as a result they suffers from hearing loss. But fuckwits like the Oasis brothers, they should at least have some frequencies left in their hearing ability....not that I care for the stupid ones, but its tragic when artist themself dont care for how their music is presented.....
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 21 Jul 2019, 22:19

Have you confused this with the Hoffman board?
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 23 Jul 2019, 15:26

Vapor Trails by Rush was appallingly brickwalled, fortunately they realized the issue and reissued a complete remix of the album with a different cover so as not to confuse the two versions

Kinkhurt

Postby Kinkhurt » 23 Jul 2019, 16:04

trans-chigley express wrote:Vapor Trails by Rush was appallingly brickwalled, fortunately they realized the issue and reissued a complete remix of the album with a different cover so as not to confuse the two versions

That one is an interesting case - I think the original version of that CD is a better listen than the remaster, there is a brutal aspect to the original sound that I like which has been removed with the sonic cleansing - Ceiling Unlimited, Ghost Rider, Vapor Trail all suffer and sound more subdued. And the real star of the show 'Earthshine' really benefits from the original saturated mix, Alex's guitar has some real stones, the layered guitar lines buried in the mix give it that 'Archilles Last Stand' vibe, not so much on the new version. They sounded like an alt rock band on that album in parts it has a Tool vibe, it worked - I think.
angering the feeble

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 25 Jul 2019, 05:53

Kinkhurt wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:Vapor Trails by Rush was appallingly brickwalled, fortunately they realized the issue and reissued a complete remix of the album with a different cover so as not to confuse the two versions

That one is an interesting case - I think the original version of that CD is a better listen than the remaster, there is a brutal aspect to the original sound that I like which has been removed with the sonic cleansing - Ceiling Unlimited, Ghost Rider, Vapor Trail all suffer and sound more subdued. And the real star of the show 'Earthshine' really benefits from the original saturated mix, Alex's guitar has some real stones, the layered guitar lines buried in the mix give it that 'Archilles Last Stand' vibe, not so much on the new version. They sounded like an alt rock band on that album in parts it has a Tool vibe, it worked - I think.

It was an album I dipped into and enjoyed but found listening to the whole lot too tiring on the ears. I haven't heard the remix to be honest although I do have it as it was included in a latter-day studio albums box set. I should listen to it.

Return to “Yakety Yak”