Glastonbury 2019 and BCB's long, slow slide into obsolesence

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Samoan

Re: Glastonbury 2019 and BCB's long, slow slide into obsolesence

Postby Samoan » 02 Jul 2019, 12:05

Lord Rother wrote:It’s a shame but this is what happens when there is long-term weak admin of a board.

I'm not sure that's accurate or entirely fair. A lot of work is done by the admins behind the scenes. Prospective new members, and there are a lot of them, have their first 4 or 5 posts screened to eliminate spammers, bots., trolls and vendors.
Warnings can be issued - some are heeded, unfortunately some are disregarded. That's my understanding of it anyway. I've only been here since 2008.
There are a few bannings - Slitsnot, Yellowjacket and the Spanish Sushi lad for example.

We don't have entire threads disappear or a run of posts vanish because an admin simply doesn't like or want them on their thread or a plethora of bannings.
Last edited by Samoan on 02 Jul 2019, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.
soundchaser wrote: The actual song was pretty good, if you overlook the singing.

St Jeemo the Humourless

Postby St Jeemo the Humourless » 02 Jul 2019, 12:10

Blanche Hunt wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:It’s a shame but this is what happens when there is long-term weak admin of a board.

I'm not sure that's accurate or entirely fair. A lot of work is done by the admins behind the scenes. Prospective new members, and there are a lot of them, have their first 4 or 5 posts screened to eliminate spammers, bots., trolls and vendors.
Warnings can be issued - some are heeded, unfortunately some are disregarded. That's my understanding of it anyway.
There are a few bannings - Slitsnot, Yellowjacket and the Spanish Sushi lad for example.

True, they are admins not moderators.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 02 Jul 2019, 16:41

Darkness_Fish wrote:I'm no expert, but I reckon shepherding is still an ongoing relevant business.

I was thinking more about the sour part, as in what happens to milk that's kept out too long.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 02 Jul 2019, 19:42

Minnie the Minx wrote:I was there!!!
Did you see me?

Towards the back by the dumpster ? :D

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 02 Jul 2019, 22:18

Blanche Hunt wrote:

Warnings can be issued - some are heeded, unfortunately some are disregarded. That's my understanding of it anyway. I've only been here since 2008.

We don't have entire threads disappear or a run of posts vanish because an admin simply doesn't like or want them on their thread or a plethora of bannings.

Oh yes, they’re very good at sitting back and watching.

A few people behaved like playground bullies day after day, week after week, year after year and were allowed to get away with it. The admin probably don’t have banning powers so it’s not their fault, it’s the site owner and he can do what he likes with his site. But it’s a shame because the lack of action is the reason we are where we are now.

People just got bored with the repetitive bickering and gradually got out of the habit of visiting because there are better things to do with leisure time. In the end the numbers dwindled because of the constant unpleasantness and then the only ones left were those who couldn’t be bullied and the ringleader’s sycophants. Fun over for the latter so off they go to a new board.

I stay around because of the prog threads and sport but even those are fading.

Oh well, it ain’t exactly end of the world stuff but it needn’t have come to this. Just a bit sad really.

Why do you think it’s come to this?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 02 Jul 2019, 23:33

It's come to this because the board failed to regenerate and attract new members when the first drift away happened around 09/10 and we've been losing members ever since. All boards lose members, especially since the growth of social media, but the ones who have survived and thrived have done so through having a large, fluctuating membership. BCB tried to survive on a small membership, but there were too many conflicts and the tedious bickering came to be the main characteristic of the site. Our weakness was our insularity, it's why we couldn't attract new members in any significant numbers. We should have found ways of doing this, but we were a little too complacent in our own little world. C'est la vie.
The new board was started as an attempt to get back to lively music chat, something, sadly, YY can no longer provide. It's been reasonably successful in that, although we could do with more regular posters. Still at least the posting is fun, typified by easy humour and a mutual respect and liking..all of which are in short supply here.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 02 Jul 2019, 23:39

Lord Rother wrote:Why do you think it’s come to this?

I know some members held back because of the expected negative reactions. I stuck my neck out and got a lot of negativity myself. It should be so easy to ignore posts on subjects you don't like, but a few people felt compelled to attack ,"new low", and all that. It's certainly a lot quieter now, too quiet, but personally I prefer that to the endless bickering.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 03 Jul 2019, 01:25

Lord Rother wrote:I stay around because of the prog threads and sport but even those are fading.

Well, that's great for you but what about me.

I'm not really a traditional "prog" fan, although i do like progressive music, and while i'm a big sports fan i don't really come to BCB for the Sports threads.

I came to BCB for the music conversation, and YY has slowly been dying in some ways over the past few years. The "bullying and fighting" concepts for me are a bit of a scapegoat, easy things to point at and say "Aha, that's the reason!"

People being happier using Facebook is one reason; busy "real" lives and having other things to do; trying to waste less time on the internet at home and work; being annoyed by one/a couple of posters and thinking "it's not worth the hassle"; not having a musical "itch" they feel the need to scratch any more; feeling like there aren't many 'like-minded' people here to keep going or to join up - these are just a couple of very valid reasons, i believe, why BCB seems to be waning.

I have been annoyed by the backbiting at times like everyone else, but that's not the single reason why some people have left and haven't come back, why new people don't join, and why the people left here aren't talking much about broad ranges of music. That's why this whole thing about bullying and taking sides and sycophants and such not simply isn't the whole picture at all.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 03 Jul 2019, 07:17

The Modernist wrote:It's come to this because the board failed to regenerate and attract new members when the first drift away happened around 09/10 and we've been losing members ever since. All boards lose members, especially since the growth of social media, but the ones who have survived and thrived have done so through having a large, fluctuating membership. BCB tried to survive on a small membership, but there were too many conflicts and the tedious bickering came to be the main characteristic of the site. Our weakness was our insularity, it's why we couldn't attract new members in any significant numbers. We should have found ways of doing this, but we were a little too complacent in our own little world. C'est la vie.
The new board was started as an attempt to get back to lively music chat, something, sadly, YY can no longer provide. It's been reasonably successful in that, although we could do with more regular posters. Still at least the posting is fun, typified by easy humour and a mutual respect and liking..all of which are in short supply here.

I have invited several people to join as new members over the years. None did. Not one.

I can’t remember them all, but 2 effectively said it didn’t seem a place they’d feel comfortable in because of the hostile atmosphere. (My summary of their words but that says it all.)

New members could have joined and kept the place shifting and vibrant with new opinions, new music, new slants but were put off by the shit we are talking about.

The scandalous way that Googa was treated for so long and eventually driven off the board is something that the site owner admin / and most certainly the perpetrators should be utterly ashamed of themselves for. That was harassment and persecution, and was sickening to witness.

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 03 Jul 2019, 09:40

The Modernist wrote:
BCB tried to survive on a small membership, but there were too many conflicts and the tedious bickering came to be the main characteristic of the site.

Agreed. And who was responsible for much of "the needless bickering"?

Answers on a postcard, please, to "John Coan Competition, BCB, The Internet"

The Modernist wrote:
The new board... is fun, typified by easy humour and a mutual respect and liking..."

Have Coan and Skope left, then? They certainly seemed to be there when I visited on Sunday.

Also, if it' such good "fun", why do you feel the need to keep coming back here for the sole purpose of telling the rest of us what we're apparently missing?

Wait, I think you answered your own question a couple of a little earlier on in your post...

The Modernist wrote:
...we could do with more regular posters...

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 03 Jul 2019, 09:46

I for one appreciate G stopping by. It's a shame that all the goodness described couldn't be found here.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 03 Jul 2019, 10:03

It’s heartbreaking to think of what we’ve missed out on with Lord Bother’s mates deciding not to join.

Talk about a Sliding Doors moment! This place could be rivalling Tik Tok in the popularity stakes.

Perhaps Fuery could activate all four of his accounts to fill the chasm?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 03 Jul 2019, 15:07

As someone who was once very active here (just shy of 14,000 posts :shock: ), but who rarely visits anymore, I guess my reasons for drifting away are several.

First, generally speaking, Yakety Yak became more and more dominated by discussions in which I had little to no interest, which were increasingly being started by a small handful of posters whose tastes are very different than my own (e.g., on the first page of Yakety Yak right now, nearly 40% of all threads were started by the same two board members). Loads of conversations involving prog (I don't mind some prog now and then, though I'm not much of a fan), numerous threads where people just post pictures of albums without discussion, a ton of threads about stuff that's just not where I am musically (and which aren't exposing me to anything new)... it's a very different forum, in terms of the music that dominates the discussion, than the one I joined nearly fifteen years ago. Which is fine - people like what they like, and boards change over time - I'm just in a different place now.

Next, while Yakety Yak was the main reason for coming here, Nextdoorland helped reinforce the sense of community that I found on BCB. But with nearly everyone being on Facebook, Nextdoorland started to feel a bit redundant, and wasn't enough to keep me coming back as Yakety Yak declined.

Finally, yes, a lot of the bickering between posters became tedious. It got tiring trying to figure out who was mad at whom, and why, and having threads that could have been interesting get derailed by that bickering. But that was always part of BCB, and wasn't a problem when YY was a more vibrant place.

I *have* been on the new board quite a bit - while it's a small community at this point, the music discussions remind me of what I liked about BCB in the first place, and are far more aligned with my tastes than the current state of YY.
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 03 Jul 2019, 16:16

What Mike describes above is pretty much word for word how I feel.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 03 Jul 2019, 16:21

Moddie, you mentioned "mutual respect" upthread, which is all very well, if you happen to be one of Coan's cohorts or your taste in music aligns with his.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 03 Jul 2019, 19:23

Boom.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 03 Jul 2019, 19:28

I never went to big festivals. Too hot, too wet, too muddy, too windy, the sound being shit, the acts being out of their gourd, etc.

Although I went to school with the inventor of Werchter and we were good friends, I didn't even go to his first edition.

Perhaps I should've put my lot in with his I would now be earning a cool 20 mill a year.

But I prefer CD's.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 03 Jul 2019, 19:58

Lord Rother wrote:Boom.

What ?

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 03 Jul 2019, 20:01

How can you have any pudding if you don’t eat your meat?

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 03 Jul 2019, 20:03

Lord Rother wrote:How can you have any pudding if you don’t eat your meat?

:lol: