Flowers - "Icehouse"

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Flowers - "Icehouse"

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Jun 2019, 18:06

Today's chancer is Flowers - "Icehouse", a 2002 remaster, Australian import. This is the one to get, with three bonus tracks. For a long time the album was unavailable, but then came this remaster, which I picked up for 50 p in thrift today. I went for the name Icehouse, which I vaguely recall from back in the 80s, and this is their rare debut from 1980. I didn't know they were Australian, and also, I did not know that the name Icehouse was chosen after this debut. But it says Flowers upper left and Icehouse upper right, and wiki confirms that they were indeed known as Flowers to begin with. Icehouse sounds so much better, befitting for a synthpop band as good as this one. The album is all good stuff, superior new wave from a vintage year.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Jimbly

Re: Flowers - "Icehouse"

Postby Jimbly » 28 Jun 2019, 18:12

They had to change their name as there was already a group called The Flowers from Scotland.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Jun 2019, 18:15

Jeemo wrote:They had to change their name as there was already a group called The Flowers from Scotland.

I see - interesting. Makes me wonder how the American Nirvana got away with their name, knowing there was a UK Nirvana before.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 28 Jun 2019, 18:26

GoogaMooga wrote:
Jeemo wrote:They had to change their name as there was already a group called The Flowers from Scotland.

I see - interesting. Makes me wonder how the American Nirvana got away with their name, knowing there was a UK Nirvana before.

UK Nirvana weren't an active group at that time, iirc. The Flowers were.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 29 Jun 2019, 00:41

Iva Davies is such an underrated songwriter. He writes terrific melodies and even though he is being regarded here as a legend I think he still deserves more merit.
Flowers is a little post-punky gem and love the edgy sound of it. Davies certainly smoothed over the surfaces to a more American 80s-styled sound later on but maintained a high quality throughout.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 02 Jul 2019, 03:14

I don't know how many other Icehouse albums you'll find in Scandinavian thrift stores, Googs, but if you see the Icehouse White Heat compilation, grab it.

For the general music fan it's really got all you need, but there are a lot of good songs on there. One of the best Oz singles groups of the 80s, and Iva Davies was a very good pop songwriter in his day.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 02 Jul 2019, 06:38

Icehouse don't normally appear in thrift - like, never.

Return to “Yakety Yak”