Grant Lee Philips/ Grant Lee Buffalo

Do talk back
`

Grant Lee Philips/ Grant Lee Buffalo

Postby ` » 21 Jun 2019, 11:14

Saw GLP play an acoustic double header with Josh Rouse at a tiny club a couple of months ago. While knew a bit about JR, knew next to nothing about GLP. Came away well impressed with both and have now started buying up quite a lot of his and his old band's usuaully excellent records.

Can't recall his name ever receiving a mention here. Any other fans?

backwards7

Re: Grant Lee Philips/ Grant Lee Buffalo

Postby backwards7 » 21 Jun 2019, 16:51

All four Grant Lee Buffalo albums are good. My favourite is Copperopolis. I've dipped in and out of his solo records, but have liked what I have heard. He is one of those consistent artists who are easy to take for granted.

His crowning achievement was his recurring guest role as town troubadour in Gilmore Girls, which exposed his music to a generation of younger fans. Of particular note was the episode where he temporarily departs the fictional town of Stars Hollow for a Neil Young gig, only for an influx of wandering troubadours, played by members of Sparks and Sonic Youth, among others, to muscle-in on his territory in his absence.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 21 Jun 2019, 18:01

Very underrated as a band and solo artist. Made a great covers album as well..."Nineteeneighties" ....covers such as Wave of mutilation and Killing Moon

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 24 Jun 2019, 21:05

Again on of those should-be-bigger-than-they-are.

Took a good start with Buffalo then made a host of excellent solo albums.

Neigemont and myself have a long standing discussing about his best solo album.

Mine still is Virginia Creeper.

Neige will soon come along to rectify that.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

`

Postby ` » 25 Jun 2019, 09:03

Loving all of what I've heard so far. Mobilize, Virginia Creeper and the most recent one, Widdershins, (which he kindly autographed for me after I bought it off him at the gig I saw) are all excellent. Also liking what little (still too busy digging into his solo catalogue) I've heard of his old band

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 25 Jun 2019, 15:38

Pretty much everything he's done that Ive heard is pretty great. Band wise "Mighty Joe Moon" is a personal fave. I saw them live in a small venue in Auckland with Crowded House and they pretty much blew the roof off - it ended in a hail of feedback from his acoustic and Grant Lee with his head stuffed into the bass drum. :lol:

Return to “Yakety Yak”