Am I missing some Dylan?

Do talk back
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Re: Am I missing some Dylan?

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 04 Jun 2019, 18:26

Pool Hall Richard wrote:Got halfway through the NPR stream yesterday, loved the rehearsals. Will listen to the rest end of the week. Very much looking forward to this.

Agreed. But, once again, it's a whole lot to digest.

What I'd like is a decent John Wesley Harding with some outtakes.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 04 Jun 2019, 22:32

Walk In My Shadow wrote:
Pool Hall Richard wrote:Got halfway through the NPR stream yesterday, loved the rehearsals. Will listen to the rest end of the week. Very much looking forward to this.

Latest suggestion is a 67-70 Bootleg series in November.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 06 Jun 2019, 18:41

Pool Hall Richard wrote:
Walk In My Shadow wrote:

Latest suggestion is a 67-70 Bootleg series in November.

Sounds good!
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Jun 2019, 16:59

Apparently, this was released days ago. But when I checked my order it hasn't even shipped.
Serves me right for ordering from Bobdylan.com.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 11 Jun 2019, 23:03

I'm upto cd 5, works better than bootleg series 5 which i never really loved. Perhaps as that was best tracks thrown together, the concerts here flow better as they are full shows. Shall be viewing netflix tomorrow.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 12 Jun 2019, 22:16

Watched the film today, great stuff. Nice and 70's grainy like an episode of The Sweeney, actually not that many modern talking heads to be honest. Good to see Joni later in the film. Clearly some of the Renaldo and Clara footage used, the part between Bob and Joan. Well worth 2 hours and 20 minutes of your time. If you're a Bob fan of course.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 14 Jun 2019, 17:52

I am and it was. I have my gripes but I always do. I'd say at least two thirds of the footage that's right in Bob's face is worth watching again.
I wasn't expecting Joni so that was an outstanding surprise. seeing her singing that song that year with that company was pretty exciting all by itself.

My main problem with the film is the way they decided to incorporate artifice into the documentary footage. I've read some reviews and it seems like lots of people think this aspect of the film is brilliant. I do not think it's brilliant but it is what it is. I don't see how fake memories that are obviously fake add to the appreciation of the doc. footage.

I TRY to understand. I remember hearing stories from surviving Monkees. Nez and Dolenz have claimed that their out grossing the Beatles and Manson being considered for the Monkees were things they said out of mischief and boredom to see if the claims would pass unchecked. they did and to this day. maybe instead of correcting the record it's more fun to screw with it. It wasn't fun for me - this was my least favorite aspect of the project.

next to the best footage of Bob my favorite aspect of it is having the late 70's America I lived through come crashing back to me in well selected footage and images. while it sounds pretty hackneyed, I think these images really promote the "looking for America" angle. maybe they were and maybe they weren't but I'm so glad this footage has been fashioned into something I can watch. Bob is frequently on FIRE as far as I'm concerned.
uggy poopy doody.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 14 Jun 2019, 22:17

On my second viewing. Clearly understanding now that much of it is quite fun and not a straight documentary, a lot of taking the piss (see the reports of what is true and what isnt.) certainly its nothing like No Direction Home.

Scarlet Rivera is striking on violin. Dylan is superb.

One more coffee is stuck in my head at present. Think Desire will be getting a play very soon.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 15 Jun 2019, 00:31

I don't think hardly any of it is true. Fake director, fake Sharon Stone story, fake Michael Murphy character, fake memories/stories of tour, etc. Just enjoy the 'joke' I guess for what it is, and watch the tour footage.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 15 Jun 2019, 05:11

Sneelock wrote:I TRY to understand. I remember hearing stories from surviving Monkees. Nez and Dolenz have claimed that their out grossing the Beatles and Manson being considered for the Monkees were things they said out of mischief and boredom to see if the claims would pass unchecked. they did and to this day. maybe instead of correcting the record it's more fun to screw with it. It wasn't fun for me - this was my least favorite aspect of the project.

I understand perfectly. What a surprise is it for Dylan to fuck with his backstory!
Haven't seen the show yet; probably this weekend. I may or may not enjoy the fictionalization, but I sure won't be surprised by it.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 16 Jun 2019, 01:24

The only performance footage I actively dislike is Bob & McGuinn doing “knockin’ on heaven’s door” right near the end.
What a fuckin’ root canal THAT thing is!
uggy poopy doody.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 16 Jun 2019, 01:26

It did behoove me to spin “Pat Garrett & Billy the kid” so something good came of it.
uggy poopy doody.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 16 Jun 2019, 05:15

Really enjoyed the film. Get the complaint about the false stuff but the live performances were excellent. Love Joni, Joan & Bob and Scarlet Rivera's violin

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 17 Jun 2019, 00:56

Just saw it. The nature of the filn was given away at the very beginning, both with the magician and the title cards. And you'd never guess that something was up just because Dylan was wearing whiteface while onstge.

That said, I don't know that I'd have spotted the deception (hey -- Sharon Stone could have happened!, and I'd not seen "Tanner") had I not read some reviews by knowledgeable people. The great value is in the performances, anyway.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Return to “Yakety Yak”