Dad rock vs lad rock - any overlaps?

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 02 Jun 2019, 19:00

Or is there a very clearly defined line of demarcation? Say, 1994?
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: Dad rock vs lad rock - any overlaps?

Postby GoogaMooga » 02 Jun 2019, 19:02

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 02 Jun 2019, 20:27

What are you talking about?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 02 Jun 2019, 21:23

Minnie the Minx wrote:What are you talking about?

:lol:

Well, are there any examples of a band being both dad rock and lad rock. Or is it that lad rock looked to dad rock as the main source of inspiration?

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 02 Jun 2019, 21:38

Thats why Bonehead left Oasis apparently. When Noel called them into the band meeting around 94 and laid out his plan to make the big switch from "Lad Rock" to "Dad Rock" a lot of the band weren't happy and wanted to go in another more "Indie Rock" direction, and it caused a lot of dissension within the group, some of whom wanted to move to a more "Shmindie Rock" sound , and then a few years later when Liam decided they needed to go from "Dad Rock" to just plain "Bad Rock" with "Be Here Now" Noel objected and countered with the idea of leaving their "Brit Pop" sound for more of a "Shit Pop" direction.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 02 Jun 2019, 21:47

Mike Boom wrote:Thats why Bonehead left Oasis apparently. When Noel called them into the band meeting around 94 and laid out his plan to make the big switch from "Lad Rock" to "Dad Rock" a lot of the band weren't happy and wanted to go in another more "Indie Rock" direction, and it caused a lot of dissension within the group, some of whom wanted to move to a more "Shmindie Rock" sound , and then a few years later when Liam decided they needed to go from "Dad Rock" to just plain "Bad Rock" with "Be Here Now" Noel objected and countered with the idea of leaving their "Brit Pop" sound for more of a "Shit Pop" direction.

:lol:

Nice one!

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 03 Jun 2019, 20:39

The Macc Lads come to mind... Lad Rock from 40 years ago.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Return to “Yakety Yak”