"Crazy Rich Asians" (2018)

..and why not?
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

"Crazy Rich Asians" (2018)

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 May 2019, 17:17

JUST WATCHED: the Blu of the recent romantic comedy smash hit, "Crazy Rich Asians", which is based on a global bestseller. I am not a big fan of the modern "rom-coms", as they are called, and normally just pass on them. However, "Crazy Rich Asians" has an interesting angle, with its all-Asian cast and its Singapore setting. Visually, it's a real treat, with all the glittery opulence, outrageous wealth, and general razzle dazzle of spoiled rich kids partying hard in palatial grandeur. It has deservedly become the highest grossing romantic comedy of the past decade, as it manages to send up the bourgeois elite while providing a framework for a modern day Cinderella story. Rachel teaches economics at NYU, and dates playboy Nick, who unbeknownst to her, is out of one of Singapore's richest families. When Nick takes her to Singapore to meet his family, we get the expected fish out of water story of Rachel not meeting the family's expectations. Family ties are as strong and hierarchical as ever. Will Nick break the bonds and follow his heart? Will Rachel get over the gold-digger taunts and patronizing socialites and come to terms with something so far removed from her New York lifestyle? As an economics professor, she is not exactly poor, but when she is exposed to such staggering wealth, the audience will tend to side with her and reject it all. Wealthy or not, all the characters are surprisingly realistic and the film does a good job of showing diversity and human foibles. The "shop till you drop" ethos of the girls, in particular, should raise a chuckle. For rich kids love freebies, and these girls are no exception.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Re: "Crazy Rich Asians" (2018)

Postby Jimbo » 27 May 2019, 11:27

Sounds like a fun movie but it also makes me wonder why the Japanese crank out such crap. They make tons of films, sentimental, romantic, dramatic, samurai but nary a one is a hit beyond Japan.
Question authority.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 30 May 2019, 05:15

Jimbo wrote:Sounds like a fun movie but it also makes me wonder why the Japanese crank out such crap. They make tons of films, sentimental, romantic, dramatic, samurai but nary a one is a hit beyond Japan.

They do good horror. I watched a non-horror Japanese movie the other week at the recommendation of my wife. I forget the title but it was good.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 31 May 2019, 14:20

I watched it on an airplane.
It was perfectly suited to that purpose.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Return to “Screenadelica”