I rather like him
32%
Other
11%

Total votes: 19

Powehi

Re: Danny Baker - Massive Wanker?

Postby Powehi » 10 May 2019, 12:35

"In attempting to lampoon privilege and the news cycle I went to a file of goofy pictures and saw the chimp dressed as a Lord and thought, 'That's the one!' Had I kept searching I might have chosen General Tom Thumb or even a a baby in a crown. But I didn't. God knows I wish had.

Yesterday, he was claiming this was his "go to" picture for such occasions.

Now he's saying he had to search it out - no doubt using the time he saves on listening to, reading or watching the news to do so

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 10 May 2019, 18:22

He is a national treasure.

Tomahawk Kid

Postby Tomahawk Kid » 10 May 2019, 22:21

Powehi wrote:
As does his claim of not even owning a mobile phone - This from a man who's made something like a gadzillion tweets

Well I was sat behind him and screenwriter Jeff Pope on a train to London a few years back and he was definitely using a mobile on that day.

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 11 May 2019, 09:11

Not only has DB lied pretty much non-stop about his tweet, it seems he's got
previous in the "white supremacy" stakes

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 11 May 2019, 10:54

Oh do fuck off.

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 11 May 2019, 11:00

Lord Rother wrote:Oh do fuck off.

It was a joke.

Get a sense of humour you tiresome saddo.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 11 May 2019, 11:10

Still Baron wrote:NYT Headline: BBC Fires Radio Host Over Racist Royal Baby Tweet

When you take away whatever feelings you may have about the radio host and the royals, that’s the bottom line. It’s a no brainer. British Royal Family gets first multiracial baby (and potential heir to crown) in living history. High profile BBC personality posts photo of a chimp, saying “royal baby leaves hospital.” Game over. You’re toast.

I sort of agree with Rorschach’s misgivings about the broader culture. And I understand people wanting to defend him. But whether Danny Baker is actually a racist or had racist intent is almost totally irrelevant in this circumstance.

I don't think for a second he is a racist - that was sort of his downfall. He posted something he thought was irreverent without any thought to how it might be interpreted differently. The intent wasn't racist but the effect certainly could be seen as such. Silly lad.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 11 May 2019, 13:28

Powehi wrote:

It was a joke.

It’s the bit about lying non-stop about the tweet I was referring to.

I have listened to this guy for the last 30+ years and there isn’t a racist bone / thought in his body. It sickens me that an unfortunate MISTAKE seems to have wiped out a whole life’s “work” in some people’s minds.

A sad indictment of society.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 11 May 2019, 14:32

I'm rather gladdened to see that people I think of as a bit smarter than the rest 'get it'.

Speaking as the offspring of a mixed marriage myself I am very glad to have my honour vicariously defended by outraged whitefolk
The Complete Roxy Music Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 11 May 2019, 15:11

The Slider wrote:I'm rather gladdened to see that people I think of as a bit smarter than the rest 'get it'.

Speaking as the offspring of a mixed marriage myself I am very glad to have my honour vicariously defended by outraged whitefolk

What do they ‘get’?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 11 May 2019, 16:04

That he is guilty of a lack of forethought

and possibly a display of a modicum of contrition, if he'd wanted to try to appease
The Complete Roxy Music Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 11 May 2019, 16:42

There are plenty of people who can imagine that he didn't think it through and still understand that a sacking was inevitable. I'm probably somewhere in that camp. The news has been full recently of the BBC warning its presenters of the contents of their twitter accounts. People in the public eye are bound to have their posts widely read and spread, unlike most.

In terms of intent, how would people have reacted if Tommy Robinson posted that tweet. I can smell the fallout even from here, even though he didn't. Well -he's a racist, some would say - not surprising. Why? Because the trope is as old as time. What if though, the tweet was from an anonymous person nobody knew, and got picked up by someone Twitter surfing? Oof, looks a bit racist that, some people might think. The reason some might think that is that those racist overtones are so deeply embedded in our culture that it is something you can't imagine anyone not knowing or "forgetting." Danny has been going to the football for a long, long time. I've read most of his books. This isn't something he didn't know, which makes his "diseased minds" comments a bit difficult to swallow. People are not snowflakes for having that at the forefront of their minds when he did not.

I don't believe for a nanosecond that he is a racist. I am very fond of him just on the nature of his books alone. However, the BBC would have sacked ANYONE for what he did, and more to the point, they would have sacked employees for making that tweet about any mixed race baby. There are plenty of jobs people have that would have got them fired for that. I couldn't have posted that in my last job. Baron would be out the door. This isn't about genuflecting to royalty. It makes no difference if right wing politicians are on QT while Danny gets sacked.Those people are not BBC employees. Anyone working for the BBC understands how shit goes down. Danny has had a long and glorious career in radio and contrary to what has been written above, his life work is not "forgotten" - he just won't be working for the BBC. He's done very well in his life. He will go on to get another great job, probably write another book. Good. I like him.

Most people I know who like Danny Baker have not recoiled in horror and turned their backs on him forever in a display of pitchfork madness. They have quietly said oh, dear- that was stupid, and that they understood why the BBC sacked him. I would add much as I also loathe what seems to be a society that is inching towards a state of no-rehabilitation and no forgiveness, people worldwide have commented on this - people not from the UK and not familiar with Danny Baker - who were appalled at the tweet. The reason I mention this is that if people aross the globe of all ages and countries identify what is potentially "iffy" about this tweet then it increases how much it beggars belief that Baker didn't think before he posted.

But then,his spontaneity is one of the things that people love about him. He has done well out of this for a long time, and will do again.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 11 May 2019, 16:50

Largely.

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 11 May 2019, 17:12

Lord Rother wrote:
Powehi wrote:

It was a joke.

It’s the bit about lying non-stop about the tweet I was referring to.

I have listened to this guy for the last 30+ years and there isn’t a racist bone / thought in his body. It sickens me that an unfortunate MISTAKE seems to have wiped out a whole life’s “work” in some people’s minds.

A sad indictment of society.

You obviously didn’t read my earlier post where I clearly said I didn’t think he was a racist and didn’t think he should’ve been sacked

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 11 May 2019, 18:17

Ok then, sorry about that. Not sure how I misinterpreted what you posted but there you go.