That Bruce, eh?

Do talk back
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

That Bruce, eh?

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 07 May 2019, 18:17

Not counting the Seeger sessions and the live album that followed, Bruce has by now made 8 albums in a row that were all below par. Far below.

Now he wants us to believe he'll recreate that summery sound from the 60's and 70's on his new one.

Don't get me wrong. Because I was such a fan up to the Lucky Town/Human Touch ones I have all the bad ones too. Just never bought them at full price.

It's just that he's gonna have to do a whole lot better with Western Stars. I have my doubts.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

The Fish
Beer Battered

Re: That Bruce, eh?

Postby The Fish » 07 May 2019, 18:32

I actually have high hopes (no pun intended) for Western Stars which sounds like a return to the run pre Seeger sessions. I think you're wrong to include those in the run of OK/average (The title track of Devils and Dust is truly magnificent) but I'd largely agree on the "band" albums that followed.
We're way past rhubarb

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 07 May 2019, 19:06

Didn't say every song was below par.

But I certainly was not a fan of his doing-the-Dylan-thing (Tom Joad and Devil's and Dust). Or Nebraska.

Correction: later band versions of some Nebraska songs were far better. Atlantic City being the best example.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 07 May 2019, 19:19

Really? The Rising, Magic, and working on a dream are surely really good. High hopes was pretty ordinary though.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 07 May 2019, 20:44

Positive Passion wrote:Really? The Rising, Magic, and working on a dream are surely really good. High hopes was pretty ordinary though.

Compared to his first 5 the ones you mention could've been made by any half decent band.

Nickelback springs to mind.

Yours,

A disappointed fan

Geoff
Abba Fan

Postby Geoff » 07 May 2019, 20:49

The Fish wrote:I actually have high hopes (no pun intended) for Western Stars which sounds like a return to the run pre Seeger sessions. I think you're wrong to include those in the run of OK/average (The title track of Devils and Dust is truly magnificent) but I'd largely agree on the "band" albums that followed.
I'm with you for the new one.
megeoff.blogspot.ca

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 May 2019, 08:18

Maybe he should let Little Stevie take on the songwriting and all will be fine.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 08 May 2019, 09:41

Diamond Dog wrote:Maybe he should let Little Stevie take on the songwriting and all will be fine.

Good point. Well made.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 08 May 2019, 23:26

Geoff wrote:
The Fish wrote:I actually have high hopes (no pun intended) for Western Stars which sounds like a return to the run pre Seeger sessions. I think you're wrong to include those in the run of OK/average (The title track of Devils and Dust is truly magnificent) but I'd largely agree on the "band" albums that followed.
I'm with you for the new one.

From some bloke on superdeluxeditions

Folks, this is an old album. Nine years old in fact. It was supposed to be released in 2011 after “The Promise,” and it was to be his first album of new material since 2009’s “Working On A Dream.” However, as with many Springsteen projects, he dumped this record and proceeded to work on “Wrecking Ball.” Before the “Broadway” residency, during the “Broadway” residency and after it Bruce indicated that his next studio album would be a solo project that had been recorded some time ago, so this release should come as no surprise to Springsteen fans. He has been wanting to get this album released for ages. I expect this album to probably be followed by a short “Devils & Dust” type tour of theaters.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 09 May 2019, 19:54

Heard the new single today.

Is this for the pre-selections of The Voice:Nashville edition?

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 15 May 2019, 20:04

In positive Bruce news, he just released the full video of his performance at the 2006 New Orleans Jazz Fest. It was the first Jazz Fest after Katrina, and that show still remains one of the greatest live performances I've ever experienced - it was just so CATHARTIC.

It's all up on his Youtube channel; here's the first video:

Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 15 May 2019, 20:35

Nolamike wrote:In positive Bruce news, he just released the full video of his performance at the 2006 New Orleans Jazz Fest. It was the first Jazz Fest after Katrina, and that show still remains one of the greatest live performances I've ever experienced - it was just so CATHARTIC.

It's all up on his Youtube channel; here's the first video:

Now THAT is good news.

Return to “Yakety Yak”