Now I am culling BIG TIME

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: Now I am culling BIG TIME

Postby GoogaMooga » 03 May 2019, 10:08

Powehi wrote:
How exactly are you cataloguing your CDs, Googs? It certainly ain't by any alphabet...

I catalog in notebooks that I take with me when shopping. Alphabetically, but by first letter of first name, because that's how they do it in Japan, so it was easier that way back then.

I keep three sets of books:

one set for rock, pop, country, classical, easy, etc.
one set for r&b, soul, blues, reggae, Latin, world, etc.
one set for jazz and jazz vocal

Physically, I keep it simple, to avoid shifting CDs all the time. Storage boxes holding 18, 22, or 30 each. I then store all the white-oriented music together, n.p.o. And all the black-oriented music together, n.p.o. Means I can't really find anything, but there is no other way I can control that amount.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

`

Postby ` » 03 May 2019, 11:25

GoogaMooga wrote:
Powehi wrote:
How exactly are you cataloguing your CDs, Googs? It certainly ain't by any alphabet...

I catalog in notebooks that I take with me when shopping. Alphabetically, but by first letter of first name, because that's how they do it in Japan, so it was easier that way back then.

I keep three sets of books:

one set for rock, pop, country, classical, easy, etc.
one set for r&b, soul, blues, reggae, Latin, world, etc.
one set for jazz and jazz vocal

Physically, I keep it simple, to avoid shifting CDs all the time. Storage boxes holding 18, 22, or 30 each. I then store all the white-oriented music together, n.p.o. And all the black-oriented music together, n.p.o. Means I can't really find anything, but there is no other way I can control that amount.

Serious questions

1) Where do you stand on "The". Do you categorise The Rolling Stones" under "T" or R

2) If you categorise "The" monickered bands under T, what happens when bands change from - say - being "The Pink Floyd" to just plain "Pink Floyd" as indeed did Waters et al in the late 60s

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 03 May 2019, 13:18

Powehi wrote:1) Where do you stand on "The". Do you categorise The Rolling Stones" under "T" or R

2) If you categorise "The" monickered bands under T, what happens when bands change from - say - being "The Pink Floyd" to just plain "Pink Floyd" as indeed did Waters et al in the late 60s

:D Ha ha, to answer both questions, why, I ignore it of course! As any sensible collector would do. Also, "les", "le", and "la", and such things.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

TG

Postby TG » 03 May 2019, 14:51

GoogaMooga wrote:Means I can't really find anything, but there is no other way I can control that amount.

If you can’t find anything then you’re not controlling it at all. If you can’t find it then you can’t play it. If you can’t play it it might as well be a collection of paper clips.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 03 May 2019, 14:52

Okay, I am at 111 CDs now, that is enough for now. I don't expect much in trade. Will probably walk out of Accord with only a small handful of their CDs, which is as it should be. Because it's all about quality. Or at least what I think is quality.

More culled:

Faith Hill
Alan Jackson
Kira and the Kindred Spirits
Lene Marlin
Lloyd Cole and the Commotions
Muse
Katie Melua

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 03 May 2019, 14:55

TG wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Means I can't really find anything, but there is no other way I can control that amount.

If you can’t find anything then you’re not controlling it at all. If you can’t find it then you can’t play it. If you can’t play it it might as well be a collection of paper clips.

Yeah, right, tell that to the guy who plays music eight hours a day, constantly surprised, constantly entertained. If I really need to hear a historic single, I've got instant access via my box sets. I've had to weigh the time spent having complete control and instant retrieval against the time I've got left to live. This way works for me.
Last edited by GoogaMooga on 03 May 2019, 14:58, edited 2 times in total.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 03 May 2019, 14:56

double post

`

Postby ` » 03 May 2019, 15:16

TG wrote:
a collection of paper clips.

Fucking great band, but what label's collection of their hits is the best? Disky? Priapic? Smegma?

TG

Postby TG » 03 May 2019, 15:18

Powehi wrote:
TG wrote:

Fucking great band, but what label's collection of their hits is the best? Disky? Priapic? Smegma?

They are a staple of any well curated collection.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 03 May 2019, 16:32

TG wrote:
Powehi wrote:
TG wrote:

Its true, you can become quite attached to them.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 03 May 2019, 16:38

:D

Paper clips? The possibilities are infinite! Hours of fun bending and twisting into different shapes! And the necklaces and wristlets you can make! Ideal presents!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 03 May 2019, 21:53

Back from the neighbors', where I sold 22 CDs @ 50 p. The money will be earmarked for Accord, so's I know how much I will have gotten in total.

Two surprises:

- They knew who Alan Jackson was, and bought his CDs.
- They passed on the Beach Boys comp and they don't like Beach Boys (!)

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 04 May 2019, 08:18

TG wrote:
Powehi wrote:
TG wrote:

This thread is all about being a staple REMOVER.
"Nothing would count as a fulfilment in a world in which literally nothing is important but self-fulfilment."

- Charles Taylor

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 04 May 2019, 16:45

LMG wrote:
TG wrote:
Powehi wrote:

This thread is all about being a staple REMOVER.

I'm finding it rather tacky. I hope no one finds it it of such note they decide to make it a sticky.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 07 May 2019, 02:08

Faster Pussycat, Cull! Cull!
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 15 May 2019, 19:36

Round 2, more sacrificial lambs:

The Cult
The Nice
The Bluetones
Richard Marx

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 15 May 2019, 20:43

GoogaMooga wrote:Round 2, more sacrificial lambs:

The Cult
The Nice

Now you're starting to piss me off.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 16 May 2019, 02:29

Walk In My Shadow wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Round 2, more sacrificial lambs:

The Cult
The Nice

Now you're starting to piss me off.

I told you, I have to be hard. The Nice is a proggy mess, and The Cult - they may have something with the guitars, but at the end of the day, they are really just a racket.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 18 May 2019, 23:49

More:

Yanni
Fairground Attraction
Amy Grant

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 19 May 2019, 01:23

I might be inclined to keep the Fairground Attraction but knock yourself out on the other two.

Return to “Yakety Yak”