Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Matt Wilson » 06 May 2019, 17:23

Doh!

Six String

Postby Six String » 06 May 2019, 21:20

We had baby bunnies at 2 Rivers Cider's tasting room yesterday. One of the women who helps the owner's wife when she cooks her Honduran cuisine had a rabbit give birth to 13 babies so she brought a few to see if she could give them away. I think three of the five or six found new homes. Darling little creatures with such soft fur. We fed them cabbage and carrots while drinking ciders and delighted in their uber cuteness.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 06 May 2019, 21:31

Six String wrote:We had baby bunnies at 2 Rivers Cider's tasting room yesterday. One of the women who helps the owner's wife when she cooks her Honduran cuisine had a rabbit give birth to 13 babies so she brought a few to see if she could give them away. I think three of the five or six found new homes. Darling little creatures with such soft fur. We fed them cabbage and carrots while drinking ciders and delighted in their uber cuteness.

Awww!!
I’ve just finished reading a book about a woman who kept a hawk - the tales of rabbit annihilation were a bit grim.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 07 May 2019, 14:14

Baby bunnies at a tasting room? I thought there was a rabbit recipe coming along there.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 07 May 2019, 14:23

The Prof wrote:Baby bunnies at a tasting room? I thought there was a rabbit recipe coming along there.

:x

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 07 May 2019, 14:24

We were having a drink in a friend’s garden last night and two skunks were spraying all over the garden. They are beautiful little things but my god they stink.

Dr Markus wrote:

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 07 May 2019, 21:09

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Six String wrote:We had baby bunnies at 2 Rivers Cider's tasting room yesterday. One of the women who helps the owner's wife when she cooks her Honduran cuisine had a rabbit give birth to 13 babies so she brought a few to see if she could give them away. I think three of the five or six found new homes. Darling little creatures with such soft fur. We fed them cabbage and carrots while drinking ciders and delighted in their uber cuteness.

Awww!!
I’ve just finished reading a book about a woman who kept a hawk - the tales of rabbit annihilation were a bit grim.

"H is for Hawk"? I read that a couple years ago because I've always been keen on birds of prey. I never realized how much maintenance they require to stay healthy, though! Good book.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 08 May 2019, 02:41

harvey k-tel wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:

Awww!!

"H is for Hawk"? I read that a couple years ago because I've always been keen on birds of prey. I never realized how much maintenance they require to stay healthy, though! Good book.

Yes, H for Hawk. I enjoyed the language, and the very involved and intricate descriptions of the countryside, but about halfway through if not before it just dawned on me how the whole process doesn't sit well with me at all. The hawk has to be cajoled, bullied, isolated, continually exposed to frustration to make it obey. At the same time, I really loved the descriptions of domesticity - them both in the TV room in the evening with her watching telly while the hawk sat nodding. But, you always sensed there was no connection, not like human and a dog, or whatever. I read the line about her running after the rabbit and shoving a knife into its head with some alarm.

There's something glorious about having that connection with something so wild- that website I have sent you as an example of our pals and their relationship with raccoons, foxes etc. But at the same time, it's difficult for an animal lover who enjoys pretending nature isn't as it actually is (me) as invariably you have to watch nature as it literally eats itself. We take animals up to a local wildlife rescue place at least a few times a year. Pigeons, squirrels, tiny possum babies (wriggling pink sausages taken in a box on their dead mother's body) and most recently, a rat that I found with it's head caught in a trap. They nursed it back to health, and yet at the same time the staff at the rehab center have to be able to tempt injured birds of prey with tiny rodents to make sure they can fly before they are released. I don't know how people can do it. I'm glad they do, I'm just glad it isn't me.

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 May 2019, 17:45

We spent Mother's Day weekend in San Antonio. Mother of Baron wanted to have dinner at her local kosher place, and the menu looked lovely. We all got gussied up and when we got there, the place was deserted and they told us they stopped doing dinners and breakfasts some time ago. Wine and beer was advertised, but they didn't do that any more either. So we ate falafel from paper plates. Having said that, it was delicious. On Sunday we had a lazy stroll round a local natural history museum, with more taxidermy than you could shake a stick at. I don't know how you manage to stuff a bee, but they bloody did it.

Dr Markus wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 16 May 2019, 02:50

It's my Zo's 16th birthday today. Wish i was there to celebrate it with her.

Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 16 May 2019, 09:45

Meanwhile, I bought this book written by our erstwhile Parisian BCBer. It's cool.

I miss him, and all the other MIA posters, for that matter.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Six String

Postby Six String » 18 May 2019, 19:33

I drove by a church yesterday that was dog friendly. They had a big sign that said "bring your dog to church."
:shock:
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 18 May 2019, 23:03

fange wrote:It's my Zo's 16th birthday today. Wish i was there to celebrate it with her.

Congrats Ange! Hope you'll be there for the next one.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 19 May 2019, 02:02

Thanks Maarts, sure hope so too, and I should be! My plan is to head back to Brissy and join the fam. when my contract here in HK ends in early August, so the countdown has begun.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 23 May 2019, 18:00

Very happy for you fange!

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 23 May 2019, 18:01

Our cat got in a fight with a skunk in our garden last night. He has a scratched nose but is otherwise very pleased with himself as miraculously didn’t get sprayed. The garden smells dreadful though.

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 26 May 2019, 20:01

I was talking to one of my favorite growers at the market today about the hail damage he sustained last week. He grows stone fruits, citrus, apples, cherries, blueberries and pears and it is some of the best that vomes out of the foothills just east of town.
He said he had one of his largest crops ever and in twenty minutes most of it was damaged. People won't buy "ugly" fruit so he's not sure what he's going to do. :(
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 26 May 2019, 22:49

Six String wrote:I was talking to one of my favorite growers at the market today about the hail damage he sustained last week. He grows stone fruits, citrus, apples, cherries, blueberries and pears and it is some of the best that vomes out of the foothills just east of town.
He said he had one of his largest crops ever and in twenty minutes most of it was damaged. People won't buy "ugly" fruit so he's not sure what he's going to do. :(

If it were me, and depending on the scale of his operations, I would juice and freeze, or cook down and preserve, depending on the fruit. But I'm a one or two trees of each kind of guy.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 27 May 2019, 16:52

The husband is working for a bit today and I'm in the back garden trying to tidy everything that has been neglected for ages. I can't believe the many species of things that are living in the greenhouse. I've tried to clean around them, and relocate them, but there are spiders, snails and pillbugs everywhere. I've shoved my hands in the nine month old compost which finally smells like compost and not the bottom of the kitchen bin. I need to try and decant it into another bin so that we can start a new compost bin. We churn out more vegetable detritus than most.

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 27 May 2019, 17:23

Rayge wrote:
Six String wrote:I was talking to one of my favorite growers at the market today about the hail damage he sustained last week. He grows stone fruits, citrus, apples, cherries, blueberries and pears and it is some of the best that vomes out of the foothills just east of town.

If it were me, and depending on the scale of his operations, I would juice and freeze, or cook down and preserve, depending on the fruit. But I'm a one or two trees of each kind of guy.

I'm sure those are options for him but the price for that will be much less than the fresh fruit and he has large orchards based on the fact that he sells stone fruit all summer and into early fall. I didn't ask if it damaged his citrus crop which won't be ready until late November.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Return to “Nextdoorland”