Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Do talk back
Hightea

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby Hightea » 12 Feb 2019, 04:01

Yo La Tengo with Steve Wynn @ Bowery Ballroom 12/9/18 -eight day of Hanukkah
Great Last NIght of Hanukkah

Hiss Golden Messenger @ MHOW 12/18/18
Really enjoyed the set - always entertaining with guest players and good vibes.

Sharon Van Etten @ Bowery Ballroom 2/9/19
Sharon continues to grow, she mostly played her new album which will be a favorite of 2019.
Nice cover of Sinead O’Connor’s Black Boys on Mopeds

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 16 Feb 2019, 16:28

A couple of weeks ago we went to see Robyn Hitchcock in Austin, the same place we saw him last year, and the next night drove to San Antonio to watch him at Tobin Hall. The second night, Emma Swift joined him for some of the set and it was, as usual, dazzling.
I still feel quite stupid that I ignored his charms for years, but am making up for it now. From the minute he starts to play till the minute he leaves, I can't keep my eyes and ears off him. I would fly to another State to watch him open a tin of beans, to be honest.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 18 Feb 2019, 04:18

Great to see The Realistiscs reform for a show at Mercury Lounge on Friday.

Another great new album from Beirut.
After playing two larger venue shows earlier this week we caught Beirut front row thanks to a young couple who offered me room to lean on stage.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 06 Apr 2019, 15:13

We saw Bob Mould in Austin on Wednesday night, playing with two fellas from Superchunk. Smallish venue, outdoor and packed. We were up front and even Baron shoved earphones in. A line of people along the front, who I can only think had not seen Bob in his various formats before, did not have ear protection and the roadie bent down to each one and told them they had to, and gave them all plugs. A good sign!
Baron has seen Bob Mould a couple of times in the past couple of decades so knew what to expect. I hadn't seen him since just before Husker Du split and didn't know what was coming. Well, noise was coming - glorious noise. He rampaged through a rapid set with no downtime, and was bubbly, happy and full of so much energy I found it hard to believe he wasn't getting younger instead of older. The sound was great, the rock and roll solid and for the penultimate song, just he played a quiet version of "I'm Never Talking to You Again", a poignant nod to Grant that caused a few sniffs.
Spectacular. I won't leave it another 32 years till I see him again.
The new album is ace too.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 12 Apr 2019, 04:08

Procol Harum - Gary Brooker's voice sounds great. They have a few new songs but they mostly did old stuff.
by the way the bass player is Matt Pegg - son of Dave Pegg from Fairport and Tull!

Jon Anderson - Jon had an interesting band with him including a violinist and two brass guys with Reggae drummer and percussionist. Made for a nice mix of sound esp. with "All good people" with a Reggae tilt.

Deep Banana Blackout with Michael Hampton of Parliament Funkadelic
After a great set by Kung Fu - a jazz jam band mix with some interesting bass lines and sax grooves.

Deep Banana mix funk and jazz fusion and liked their interplay. Guest guitarist MIchael Hampton played on a few songs.

On a last minute wim we went to see Keren Ann and was glad we did. Hadn't seen Keren in ages and she has matured into a great singer/songwriter and had a great accompining string quartet. While she mostly sings in French she does a few in english. always liked this one
"Not going anywhere "

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 12 Apr 2019, 04:08

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 22 Apr 2019, 17:12

Suede in Bristol last night. New album interspersed with the classics. Pretty freakin great. A near hometown gig for Mr Anderson as he apparently lives in my village now. For the past 2 years. I heard something I’m never likely to hear ever again. Brett in a how are you all section says ‘anyone here from Chilcompton?’ Mrs JKB went nuts. :D

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 22 Apr 2019, 17:35

Jumper K wrote:Suede in Bristol last night. New album interspersed with the classics. Pretty freakin great. A near hometown gig for Mr Anderson as he apparently lives in my village now. For the past 2 years. I heard something I’m never likely to hear ever again. Brett in a how are you all section says ‘anyone here from Chilcompton?’ Mrs JKB went nuts. :D

:P

Dr Markus wrote:

Nuts

Postby Nuts » 24 Apr 2019, 11:05

Saw Suede in Brighton last night - storming as usual
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best…

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 24 Apr 2019, 21:07

Nuts wrote:Saw Suede in Brighton last night - storming as usual

I thought the tracks from the latest album were really good. Perhaps not quite as stellar as some reviews would have you but pretty powerful none the less.

Nuts

Postby Nuts » 25 Apr 2019, 11:11

Definitely, brave to finish on a new track too.
Saw them at Hammersmith last year and I don't think they did as much new stuff.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best…

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 25 Apr 2019, 12:18

If anybody fancies getting the live album by the Unthanks when it's released in the Autumn... yes that is me snoring at the back.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Apr 2019, 12:24

The Prof wrote:If anybody fancies getting the live album by the Unthanks when it's released in the Autumn... yes that is me snoring at the back.

I can’t see you being into them! Why did you go?

Dr Markus wrote:

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 25 Apr 2019, 12:33

I was promised it would be a rocking night out. I didn't mean to fall asleep.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 30 Apr 2019, 10:23

I've had a few really good gigs under my belt in the last few weeks
- Idles @ Electric Ballroom
Probably the hottest tickets in town, their Camden shows sold out in seconds, and a great venue to see them at. It's a pretty slick machine - they are tight, their choruses are catchy, very political, and they rock hard. They are at the peak of their powers right now it feels and I had a storming night fuelled by whiskey. Great band that I'd recommend anyone/everyone to see if you can.
- Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs @ Bullingdon
They also sold out their London show, but managed to get tickets to see them in Oxford. Their tour is also sold out, and it's another great, exciting band. MUCH rawer and scruffier than Idles, and really enjoyed everything about them - their Northern humour, their genuine amazement at getting such large crowds, and a heavy, driving sound.
- Test Pressing @ all-around-Hackney
Great little festival that I think started last year. Pretty eclectic mix of bands across a few venues within 10 minutes walk of each other. Three bands really stood out - Mike Krol who has a really good garage rock sound, Warmduscher, who have a Bad Seeds vibe about them and a mental following, and Bo Ningen, who I've seen before but as an opening act, and it was great to see them in their own right - and they were incredible. Again I'd recommend anyone to catch them - very charismatic, psychedelic guitar gods.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 09 May 2019, 10:10

The Prof wrote:If anybody fancies getting the live album by the Unthanks when it's released in the Autumn... yes that is me snoring at the back.

It was the lullaby medley that they sang that did the trick wasn't it?

Thought they were smashing last night in Liverpool.
Roll on Durham week after next.
Give a shit or be a shit.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 09 May 2019, 14:32

Tom Waits For No One wrote:

It was the lullaby medley that they sang that did the trick wasn't it?

Goodness knows. There weren't any instruments - just vocals.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 08 Jul 2019, 05:40

Went to my favorite small festival again Solid Sound Festival at MASS Moca

Great set from Courtney Barnett - Courtney continues to improve

Then a small set by Wilco before they did a bad idea and had Wilco Karaoke for 10 songs bringing up teen singers before ending it with Courtney Barnett

Day Two had the Minus 5 with Buck and Mills from REM. A mix of the monkees meets REM

The Minus 5

Great set from Tortoise

Caught Wand at a POP show in the doll room.

Then later on Nel's Cline Cup with his wife Yuka Honda.

Plus Some Cool exhibits

Christie Hynde self portrait

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 08 Jul 2019, 07:11

A few lately. Stray Cats in Birmingham, the set was fabulous, playing exemplary, getting into the venue trying in the extreme. Stand out for me was Blast Off! I'd not seen it live before, and an extended Fishnet Stockings. The new stuff off 40 was really enjoyable.The Damned in Bath, MGE in its (almost) entireity and a career bunch of highlights. I loved Nasty, Ignite, a curtailed Curtain Call and Antipope. King Khan and the Shrines in Bristol - an absolute riot.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Oct 2019, 23:10

I went with a pal to see Stiff Little Fingers last night. My pal is the same age as me, American, discovered punk and played the first three SLF to death but had already seen them about a decade ago. It was my first time. My pal was particularly excited to see The Avengers who were supporting, who she had never seen, so we were both stage right, with earplugged ears up to the speaker and swapped places after The Avengers had been on. Fuck, The Avengers were good - don't look as if they've dropped a step in decades and clearly still loving what they do.

The tour was billed as "Inflammable Material in its entirety" which I took to mean, er, Inflammable Material in its entirety (minus Closed Groove) and then random selected material at the end. Instead, they played a selection of songs before IM which sort of took the drama out of the opening song when they eventually got round to it. This, coupled with the fact that Jake gave a commentary on what each of the songs was about before he played them really did give the set a slight "SLF cruise liner" feel. I mean, I was still thrilled to see them and everything but it seemed to me that IM really is an album that you don't need to punctuate with explanations. It's not like the album is two hours long, after all.

After IM they played some newer songs and then saved stuff like "At The Edge" and "Tin Soldier" for encores. I managed to get a small mosh in but it was a sort of strange crowd, I couldn't quite get the feel of them - a mix of much older folk, youngsters, the curious and the frankly violent. I don't want to say that there was a right wing presence there, but there was certainly a very small group who were - um - I dunno, just made everyone a bit uneasy and enjoyed that.

I was talking to my friend afterwards about what on earth it was in the show that somehow didn't touch me the way that other acts from that era have done. Both Killing Joke and PiL have done the rounds recently and been genuinely electrifying and had me going home feeling as though I had gone through some magical portal. She felt that some of the older, more "radical" lyrics may lose their impact and not translate too well years later but I didn't think it was that - I can't explain it really. I expected to feel "a certain way" afterwards and didn't and they don't owe me a fucking thing and I'm sure it's an issue with my expectation rather than their delivery.

Anyway, The Avengers!

Dr Markus wrote:

Return to “Yakety Yak”