Tiger, Tiger, burning bright

Postby Brickyard Jack » 14 Apr 2019, 22:53

Brilliant.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: Tiger, Tiger, burning bright

Postby Lord Rother » 15 Apr 2019, 07:19

Absolutely brilliant.

Thing is, he looked like a different man this week. Gone are the fist pumping celebrations after every birdie which I’ve always thought must change both physiology and psychology. He just stayed in the zone and didn’t let anything get in the way of doing the job.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 15 Apr 2019, 11:27

I was never a Tiger fan - I fully appreciated the skills, but found it impossible to warm to the person.

However - I've greatly admired his fortitude in the 'comeback years' since 2013 or so. He appeared to have finally put his woes (many self inflicted) behind him in the past couple of years and had emerged as a more humble individual, who had paid his dues and just wanted to get back to some semblance of his former greatness.

Last season the signs were all there finally - the performances in the Open and PGA were very encouraging. But it was the win in the Players Championship that convinced me that he could actually 'do the impossible' and win another Major.

That being the case, I felt the Masters was always the most likely. He knows the course like the back of his hand and had nothing to fear there - he'd won it four times previously and understood all the subtle nuances and potential pitfalls, in all conditions and any circumstances. It was the course he could put that experience to the greatest advantage.

And so it proved. Whilst others pushed when they should have waited, and became tentative when they should have gone for it, Tiger just played the course as it presented itself on the final day and stayed patient until the time to pounce on others mistakes presented itself. Which it did after the 12th hole - and Tiger then went three under over four holes and went for his opponents jugulars and ripped out that valuable two shot lead to get him through the final two holes.

An astonishing comeback. I always thought Muhammad Ali coming back after three years out of the ring was the greatest sporting comeback I'd see - but Tiger maybe superseded that yesterday.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 15 Apr 2019, 20:32

And I had him at 25s :lol:

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Apr 2019, 03:39

Jumper K wrote:And I had him at 25s :lol:

I took 16's the morning before he beat Rory in the Matchplay. Nice price for you!
Cocaine

`

Postby ` » 16 Apr 2019, 09:11

Diamond Dog wrote:
An astonishing comeback. I always thought Muhammad Ali coming back after three years out of the ring was the greatest sporting comeback I'd see - but Tiger maybe superseded that yesterday.

Nicki Lauda would have to be up there, too.

Never really liked TW that much, but fair play to the man for coming back against all the odds. It's not actually that long ago he wasn't even ranked in the top 1,000 players worldwide

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Apr 2019, 09:18

Yeah Lauda is a good shout too.
Cocaine

Return to “Sporting Life”