Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Snarfyguy » 04 Mar 2019, 20:44

caramba wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:So I finally streamed Bohemian Rhapsody last night. It was about as good as I thought it would be. It was fine, no better than Oliver Stone's The Doors from eons ago. Both films play with the facts to suit their director's visions yet this one seems to have received mostly kudos while The Doors was panned if memory serves. Also, I didn't find Academy Award-winning actor Rami Malek to be any better as Freddie than non-nominated Val Kilmer was as Morrison in the previous film.

Don't know about the US, but BH got eviscerated by most of the more respected reviewers in the quality press in the UK. It was the same with Hugh Jackman's The Showman, which also went on to make megabucks.

The Greatest Showman. I took my kid to see that. Astonishingly, insultingly bad.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 05 Mar 2019, 17:11

Streamed A Star is Born last night. Much like last week's Bohemian Rhapsody, it was fine - but no better than I remember the Streisand version to be, and I haven't seen that one in decades. Bradley Cooper clearly took the Babs film as a template for this one, as he even looks a bit like Kristofferson with his long hair and beard. And Gaga is just an updated Barbara complete with references to her big nose. Modern day Hollywood clearly isn't capable of coming up with too many original ideas anymore as this no-more-than-average effort wouldn't have been nearly so big a deal had it been released in the '90s, say - when there were far more quality films to choose from than there are now.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 10 Mar 2019, 14:46

Saw Green Book a couple of nights ago. Think Oscar and (black) Felix go on a road trip to the deep south of the early 1960s. It was watchable but the badly done artifice to recreate the times was distracting.

Oh, I also saw a really good Japanese film called something like Night of the One Take Zombie. (There seem to be various English titles.) One reason it was a hit here was because of its shoestring budget and went on to make big money and stars of the unknown actors. But it was a very clever, brilliant is many ways, and funny, too, the premise being how these near-amateurs made a 30 minute zombie movie with no cuts in the filming. The movie starts with the really cheesy but kind of scary zombie film then goes back and tells the story of how it was made. It's not a documentary but a comedy. I'd love to tell you the plot but you should see it for yourselves.
Question authority.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 12 Mar 2019, 19:15

You're probably better off coming to this documentary knowing as little about it as possible. Recommended.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 20 Mar 2019, 16:16

The person who wrote the essay on this for the Criterion Collection feels it's very important for you know that this movie is NOT a progenitor of Bonnie and Clyde or any other doomed-lovers-on-a-spree movie. Okay?

Nicholas Ray hits the ground running on his first picture, with the great Farley Granger. Not quite a noir, but not a romance either, though there are elements of both. Wonderful supporting cast and photography. A must-see for anyone interested in midcentury American film.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 20 Mar 2019, 17:02

I don't know why you wouldn't call that a noir, Chris.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 21 Mar 2019, 14:10

Snarfyguy wrote:Image

You're probably better off coming to this documentary knowing as little about it as possible. Recommended.

Yes enjoyed it too. Had no idea about any of it.
With the initial shot of fame, you could tell after a while that the story was beginning to wear thin about how they all wrestled in school, liked the same kind of women, smoked the same cigarettes etc, and it starts falling apart.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 21 Mar 2019, 16:38

Matt Wilson wrote:I don't know why you wouldn't call that a noir, Chris.

Because the guy who wrote the Criterion essay come over and might beat me up for thinking about the film the wrong way.

It's pretty noir-y. I don't know what that guy's problem is.

I'm pretty sure you would like it, if you haven't seen it already.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 Mar 2019, 18:37

Yeah, I've got that Criterion disc. I love couples-on-the-lam movies: They Live by Night, Gun Crazy, Bonnie & Clyde, Badlands, even Natural Born Killers.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 21 Mar 2019, 19:13

Yeah, I like all those too.

Meanwhile,

Fun, stylish black comedy/suspense thing with lots of twists and turns.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 22 Mar 2019, 20:08

Beautiful People is a 1999 British satirical comedy written and directed by Jasmin Dizdar. The film won an award for the best film in Un Certain Regard category at the Cannes Film Festival.
It's set in London during the time of the Bosnian War and the World Cup qualifiers.
A beaut of a film.

Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 26 Mar 2019, 15:03

Character study/making-of-a-serial-killer thing that manages to humanize its subject while leaving the viewer profoundly uneasy.

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 28 Mar 2019, 17:48

Not now viewing, now reading, but I don’t want to start another thread. Bogdanovic with no fucks left to give. In several ways.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/03/peter-bogdanovich-in-conversation.html

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 08 Apr 2019, 20:12

Warning: quirky and endearing

I forget what happens at the end; I think I fell asleep.

Hope this helps!

I also saw this:

Kind of a Tarantino-esque neo noir. B+

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 11 Apr 2019, 17:41

Good period family drama/coming of age/crime saga (based on a true stary). Solid cast.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 20 Apr 2019, 01:53

This is a pretty dried-out genre, so I was surprised and impressed to see a rich and satisfying treatment of it. Top cast, dialogue, look, themes, the whole package.

I'm barely aware of this director, except for his (frankly weird) name. :oops:

algroth

Postby algroth » 20 Apr 2019, 14:58

Snarfyguy wrote:Image

This is a pretty dried-out genre, so I was surprised and impressed to see a rich and satisfying treatment of it. Top cast, dialogue, look, themes, the whole package.

I'm barely aware of this director, except for his (frankly weird) name. :oops:

It's great, I loved it. Steve McQueen is for me one of the most interesting filmmakers working today, really liked all of his work up to this point.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 20 Apr 2019, 15:46

Soulboy (2010) for the *phenomenal Northern Soul soundtrack and the dance - glorious stuff in all.
Him off the current BBC1 TV Line Of Duty stars in it which took me by surprise and I can say he dances better than he detects.

* https://www.amazon.co.uk/SoulBoy-Origin ... way&sr=8-1
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 21 Apr 2019, 15:38

Samoan wrote:Soulboy (2010) for the *phenomenal Northern Soul soundtrack and the dance - glorious stuff in all.
Him off the current BBC1 TV Line Of Duty stars in it which took me by surprise and I can say he dances better than he detects.

* https://www.amazon.co.uk/SoulBoy-Origin ... way&sr=8-1

:D
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 06 May 2019, 17:24

We watched ‘The Conversation’ last night.
What an extraordinary performance Hackman puts in.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Return to “Screenadelica”