Ib Glindemann RIP

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Ib Glindemann RIP

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 Apr 2019, 22:15

Big band leader Ib Glindemann, Denmark's "Mr. Swing King", has died, aged 84. Americans had Benny Goodman and we had Ib Glindemannn, who remained active well into this century. As late as 2012 he received the Leo Mathiesen Award, for lifetime achievement and for keeping the music from the Golden Age of Jazz alive. He also enjoyed a late resurgence and became a cult figure with the young. Not bad for a guy who performed at Denmark's first rock'n'roll concert in K.B. Hallen on the 4th of October, 1956! It was at that same historic venue, back in 1949, that a very young Ib Glindemann stood close to the stage and was blown away by the King of Jazz, Louis Armstrong. Glindemann, who up to that point had been more interested in building model airplanes and short wave radios, knew what he wanted to do for the rest of his life, play jazz! His achievements are many, not least having Stan Getz play in his orchestra on many occasions in the 1960s. And how about 182 LP's for the US market? He did it all, and he did it well. RIP Ib Glindemann

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

TG

Re: Ib Glindemann RIP

Postby TG » 07 Apr 2019, 00:11

Dick Dale, Scott Walker, Nipsey Hustle and now Ib? This year can’t end soon enough.

BTW, who the fuck is Ib Glindeman? I’ll grant you that being the Swing King of Denmark is quite an accomplishment. I mean, Denmark swings like a pendulum do. Now I feel bad that I didn’t write up an obit for Neil and Bob Glandbottom - the identical twin “Yodeling Kings of Burbank”. Sorry for your loss.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 07 Apr 2019, 00:53

TG wrote:Dick Dale, Scott Walker, Nipsey Hustle and now Ib? This year can’t end soon enough.

BTW, who the fuck is Ib Glindeman? I’ll grant you that being the Swing King of Denmark is quite an accomplishment. I mean, Denmark swings like a pendulum do. Now I feel bad that I didn’t write up an obit for Neil and Bob Glandbottom - the identical twin “Yodeling Kings of Burbank”. Sorry for your loss.

:lol:
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Apr 2019, 02:59

Ah, the old cultural bias. Yeah, tell that to Stan Getz. Tell that to all those countrymen of yours who went out and bought the 182 albums he had released in your country. Ha!
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Apr 2019, 03:02

TG

Postby TG » 07 Apr 2019, 03:27

GoogaMooga wrote:Ah, the old cultural bias. Yeah, tell that to Stan Getz. Tell that to all those countrymen of yours who went out and bought the 182 albums he had released in your country. Ha!

Cultural bias? Which one of us brought old Ib here to BCB?

And where do you see that he released 182 albums in the U.S.? I have likely spent more time in record stores, swap meets, flea markets and thrift stores than even you for the last 45 years or so and I’ve never seen one. I do see Bent Fabric occasionally but Ib, like the Yeti, remains hidden. And I will tell the very first of my countrymen that I meet who has ever heard of Ib. Don’t hold your breath.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 07 Apr 2019, 04:21

I'm surprised that you haven't written an obit for Caravelli yet.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 07 Apr 2019, 04:47

TG wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Ah, the old cultural bias. Yeah, tell that to Stan Getz. Tell that to all those countrymen of yours who went out and bought the 182 albums he had released in your country. Ha!

And where do you see that he released 182 albums in the U.S.? I have likely spent more time in record stores, swap meets, flea markets and thrift stores than even you for the last 45 years or so and I’ve never seen one. I do see Bent Fabric occasionally but Ib, like the Yeti, remains hidden. And I will tell the very first of my countrymen that I meet who has ever heard of Ib. Don’t hold your breath.

TELL THAT TO STAN GETZ
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Apr 2019, 04:50

Here is Ib Glindemann and Stan Kenton, a great American orchestra leader who WASN'T parochial. But do let's pretend Denmark doesn't exist. We Danes will just bang a few rocks together.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Apr 2019, 05:40

Look, I love America. It's a great country in so many ways and easily the greatest country for music. With all the adulation and recognition that America has got, what I don't understand is this reaction when I post about Denmark, that it can't be allowed even a tiny bit of recognition. For its size, Denmark has done rather well in jazz. In Europe, Copenhagen used to be second only to Paris for live jazz. We had several American jazz musicians living here: Ben Webster (who is buried here), Dexter Gordon, Kenny Drew, Stan Getz, Ed Thigpen, Horace Parlan, and so on. NHØP was universally recognized as a top bass player, part of the Oscar Peterson trio for decades. Palle Mikkelborg and Marilyn Mazur played with Miles Davis. But I'll try not to post about Danish music any more.

TG

Postby TG » 07 Apr 2019, 06:18

GoogaMooga wrote:Look, I love America. It's a great country in so many ways and easily the greatest country for music. With all the adulation and recognition that America has got, what I don't understand is this reaction when I post about Denmark, that it can't be allowed even a tiny bit of recognition. For its size, Denmark has done rather well in jazz. In Europe, Copenhagen used to be second only to Paris for live jazz. We had several American jazz musicians living here: Ben Webster (who is buried here), Dexter Gordon, Kenny Drew, Stan Getz, Ed Thigpen, Horace Parlan, and so on. NHØP was universally recognized as a top bass player, part of the Oscar Peterson trio for decades. Palle Mikkelborg and Marilyn Mazur played with Miles Davis. But I'll try not to post about Danish music any more.

Post away about anything you like. But don’t expect to post at will about any obscure corner of any dark room (or cold country) that you can think of and never be called on it. And what did I do? Poke fun at the obscurity of your late Swing King? Question your claims of his many hundreds of U.S. releases? Wonder how someone who “did it all” could remain a total mystery to most music fans? You really couldn’t have thought that post would be taken 100% seriously. Could you?

TG

Postby TG » 07 Apr 2019, 06:19

Still Baron wrote:
TG wrote:

TELL THAT TO STAN GETZ

I knew someone would call me on that. Drat.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Apr 2019, 07:15

TG wrote:Post away about anything you like. But don’t expect to post at will about any obscure corner of any dark room (or cold country) that you can think of and never be called on it. And what did I do? Poke fun at the obscurity of your late Swing King? Question your claims of his many hundreds of U.S. releases? Wonder how someone who “did it all” could remain a total mystery to most music fans? You really couldn’t have thought that post would be taken 100% seriously. Could you?

You know very well that jazz has been niche genre for over half a century, even in its homeland. With many artists appearing on small labels, in small press runs. And that jazz artists from more remote areas will be even more obscure to most music fans. You probably won't have heard of Jesper Thilo, Alex Riel, Finn Ziegler, Papa Bue's Viking Jazz Band, the Doky Brothers, and Cecilie Nørby, either. Or Kai Winding, of the famous trombone duo. And yes, I probably only know them all because I am Danish, and a jazz fan. But that doesn't mean they aren't there, on the musical map. Or that serious foreign jazz fans won't know them. Or that Denmark "swings" like a pendulum. I am not objecting to poking fun, but does it have to be a total dismissal of Denmark, and for an obit, yet?

There has been a pattern of systematic rejection and trashing of Denmark whenever I post about its music. I was surprised the Naja Rosa thread didn't get a trashing. So to keep the peace, I'll try not to post about Danish music, however tempting it may be.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 07 Apr 2019, 07:53

Why?

Ignore the twats.

You might not get much / any response to posts about Danish jazz but who cares? I had never heard of this guy, and am extremely unlikely to listen to his music, but now I have heard of him which is surely job part done.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Apr 2019, 08:06

Lord Rother wrote:Why?

Ignore the twats.

You might not get much / any response to posts about Danish jazz but who cares? I had never heard of this guy, and am extremely unlikely to listen to his music, but now I have heard of him which is surely job part done.

Thanks, but I have a history of spats with John Coan and I don't really want to get dragged further into that. I am glad my posts are being read, but I think I prefer no response to a response that ridicules Denmark. I may be oversensitive, I don't know, but I like to think there is good music to be found in unlikely places, outside of the main countries that we all agree on.

TG

Postby TG » 07 Apr 2019, 09:07

GoogaMooga wrote:
TG wrote:Post away about anything you like. But don’t expect to post at will about any obscure corner of any dark room (or cold country) that you can think of and never be called on it. And what did I do? Poke fun at the obscurity of your late Swing King? Question your claims of his many hundreds of U.S. releases? Wonder how someone who “did it all” could remain a total mystery to most music fans? You really couldn’t have thought that post would be taken 100% seriously. Could you?

You know very well that jazz has been niche genre for over half a century, even in its homeland. With many artists appearing on small labels, in small press runs. And that jazz artists from more remote areas will be even more obscure to most music fans. You probably won't have heard of Jesper Thilo, Alex Riel, Finn Ziegler, Papa Bue's Viking Jazz Band, the Doky Brothers, and Cecilie Nørby, either. Or Kai Winding, of the famous trombone duo. And yes, I probably only know them all because I am Danish, and a jazz fan. But that doesn't mean they aren't there, on the musical map. Or that serious foreign jazz fans won't know them. Or that Denmark "swings" like a pendulum. I am not objecting to poking fun, but does it have to be a total dismissal of Denmark, and for an obit, yet?

There has been a pattern of systematic rejection and trashing of Denmark whenever I post about its music. I was surprised the Naja Rosa thread didn't get a trashing. So to keep the peace, I'll try not to post about Danish music, however tempting it may be.

Most of the music I listen to is of little or no interest to people here. That’s why I don’t start threads. But if I did start threads about Othar Turner or James Booker or Deep Banana Blackout (3 acts I listened to today) I would expect them to be roundly ignored. If I started threads on all of them AND Corey Glover AND the Jelly Beans AND the Black Angels AND the KanDells AND the Bedlam Four (5 other acts I listened to today) and I wanted all of them to be taken as seriously as the Beatles and Prog are around these parts I’d expect someone to take the piss. But then I don’t have to get validation here to feel good about myself and neither should anyone else. It’s a music fan’s site full of smart asses who tend to take the piss occasionally.

Again, post anything you like. Demand that everyone take every single thread seriously and afford each of them the reverence you demand and you probably won’t get your wish.

And I wasn’t trashing Denmark. I was trashing the notion that Denmark has its own King of Swing. Does every country have its own King of Swing? The tiny Republic of Togo? Is there a Prince of Polka for every country? A Czar of Zydeco for every nation? Lighten up. And Ib is a funny name.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Apr 2019, 09:28

Okay, cool. :) And yes, Ib is a funny name.

algroth

Postby algroth » 07 Apr 2019, 15:45

Lord Rother wrote:You might not get much / any response to posts about Danish jazz but who cares? I had never heard of this guy, and am extremely unlikely to listen to his music, but now I have heard of him which is surely job part done.

I agree with this. For what it's worth I now know who Ib Glindemann is, and whilst he may not be an act I'm particularly interested in hearing out it's a better shoutout than another BCB 130 artist thread. Forums like these should be about sharing music to some extent or other and sometimes an obituary's a good enough excuse to bring that late artist to light. Likewise I'm more interested in learning about music from all over the world than I am from sticking to the same handful of anglophone countries, and I can surely be accused of plugging Argentinian acts pretty frequently as well.

Anyhow, R.I.P.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Apr 2019, 17:13

algroth wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:You might not get much / any response to posts about Danish jazz but who cares? I had never heard of this guy, and am extremely unlikely to listen to his music, but now I have heard of him which is surely job part done.

I agree with this. For what it's worth I now know who Ib Glindemann is, and whilst he may not be an act I'm particularly interested in hearing out it's a better shoutout than another BCB 130 artist thread. Forums like these should be about sharing music to some extent or other and sometimes an obituary's a good enough excuse to bring that late artist to light. Likewise I'm more interested in learning about music from all over the world than I am from sticking to the same handful of anglophone countries, and I can surely be accused of plugging Argentinian acts pretty frequently as well.

Anyhow, R.I.P.

Speaking of which, algroth, I just picked up a CD of tangos by the great Juan D'arienzo. Now I can finally put a name and a title on that tango number that I have heard so many times in different contexts, "La Cumparsita". Great stuff.

algroth

Postby algroth » 09 Apr 2019, 17:49

GoogaMooga wrote:
algroth wrote:

Anyhow, R.I.P.

Speaking of which, algroth, I just picked up a CD of tangos by the great Juan D'arienzo. Now I can finally put a name and a title on that tango number that I have heard so many times in different contexts, "La Cumparsita". Great stuff.

That's cool! :) When it comes to tango I tend to prefer more tango nuevo stuff myself - Piazzolla, Rodolfo Mederos, that sort of stuff. but I admit I tend to also know that side of tango a lot better than I do the more traditional sort. Anyhow, hope you enjoy!

Return to “Yakety Yak”