The most overproduced album in the world

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

The most overproduced album in the world

Postby GoogaMooga » 31 Mar 2019, 00:57

Normally I quite like BIG production, everything and the kitchen sink thrown in, but playing Babs Streisand's 1985 longplayer, "The Broadway Album" - christ, is it bad. Imagine all the bits you may have found slightly annoying about OTT Broadway show tunes, then magnify it by several factors, and you can only begin to understand the hell I am going through with this straight-to-Accord bad purchase. A friend of mine who has worked in the entertainment industry once said, "After the Broadway Album, no other album will seem overproduced." And was he right. This is one of the worst albums I have ever heard, at least of the sort with anything even remotely like talent involved. Send in the clowns, indeed.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Re: The most overproduced album in the world

Postby The Red Heifer » 31 Mar 2019, 06:17

Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 31 Mar 2019, 07:45

Overproduced or over-arranged?
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 31 Mar 2019, 10:42

Both, really.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 31 Mar 2019, 15:02

XTC - Oranges And Lemons

Probably not the world's worst but at first I loved this album but then for some reason its hyper-vivid supersonic brilliance started to get on my nerves and now it is just about unlistenable.
Question authority.

backwards7

Postby backwards7 » 31 Mar 2019, 20:58

Jimbo wrote:
XTC - Oranges And Lemons

Probably not the world's worst but at first I loved this album but then for some reason its hyper-vivid supersonic brilliance started to get on my nerves and now it is just about unlistenable.

I know what you mean. The music feels like it's advanced a little too far into your personal space, to the point where it becomes overwhelming if you are not in the right mood.

Paul Fox was relatively untested as a producer at the time though he did go on to do some good records. A friend of mine was briefly married to one of his daughters. I read somewhere recently that he has Alzheimer's.

frimley_greener

Postby frimley_greener » 01 Apr 2019, 04:23

Joint golds awarded to "Aja" and "The Nightfly". Lauded by audiophiles for their sonic wonderment,but both in reality packed with lack lustre and frankly boring twaddle.
You wanna be a big cop in a small town? Fuck off up the model village.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 01 Apr 2019, 05:46

Around its release I had thought the Bill Syzmynxch's (sic) production of the Eagles' One Of These Nights was a revelation, a breakthrough in how clear and brilliant sounding a record could be. It sounds dowdy and dull by what came after. And today, my god, how hyper-clear are these records by Justin Timberlake and other shit the kids are into. I'm just thinking, George Martin and The Beatles had the levels set just about perfectly.
Question authority.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 01 Apr 2019, 09:33

This is the sort of thread that Patrick Bateman would have killed for :)

Graham Murakami

Postby Graham Murakami » 03 Apr 2019, 20:57

frimley_greener wrote:Joint golds awarded to "Aja" and "The Nightfly". Lauded by audiophiles for their sonic wonderment,but both in reality packed with lack lustre and frankly boring twaddle.

Madness. Play it again. Play it twice more. The songs are there and the production doesn't interfere.

From a man who can cope with the microtunes of the Joni Mitchell jazz stuff, I am quite surprised.

frimley_greener

Postby frimley_greener » 04 Apr 2019, 04:37

The production does not interfere? Insisting on a "left handed bass player" as opposed to a right handed one on certain tracks? Over a thousand takes in some instances? Yoiu are of course right:)
You wanna be a big cop in a small town? Fuck off up the model village.

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 04 Apr 2019, 20:18

Graham Murakami wrote:
frimley_greener wrote:Joint golds awarded to "Aja" and "The Nightfly". Lauded by audiophiles for their sonic wonderment,but both in reality packed with lack lustre and frankly boring twaddle.

Madness. Play it again. Play it twice more. The songs are there and the production doesn't interfere.

From a man who can cope with the microtunes of the Joni Mitchell jazz stuff, I am quite surprised.

I'm with Mr Greener, had to hear this album many times as a friend in the record store we worked in played it a lot, I found the sound of it incredibly dull. I agree with you that there are reasonable songs but find the production too horribly smooth for any pleasure to be given.

Return to “Yakety Yak”