Roxy Music to play RRHOF

Do talk back
Mike Boom

Roxy Music to play RRHOF

Postby Mike Boom » 27 Mar 2019, 22:30

https://pitchfork.com/news/roxy-music-to-perform-but-not-fully-reunite-at-rock-hall-2019-induction-ceremony/

This Friday, March 29, Roxy Music will be among the acts inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Now, frontman Bryan Ferry has confirmed that he will perform with original band members Andy Mackay and Phil Manzanera at the ceremony. According to a press release, former Roxy Music members Brian Eno and drummer Paul Thompson will not be attending “due to other commitments.”

In 2001, Bryan Ferry, Phil Manzanera, Andy Mackay, and Paul Thompson reunited as Roxy Music in honor of the band’s 30th anniversary. They performed together until 2011 and broke up in 2014. Manzera said at the time, “I think our job is done.” Earlier this year, Ferry announced a tour to celebrate Avalon, Roxy Music’s final album, released in 1982.

I have my tickets to the Dallas stop of the Ferry "Avalon tour" and looking forward to it very much. Last saw Ferry with Roxy in Auckland in 75.
Anyone else going ?

Hightea

Re: Roxy Music to play RRHOF

Postby Hightea » 28 Mar 2019, 13:39

I'm going to see Ferry's Avalon tour this summer in NY. Looking forward to it. Had a chance to actually go to the R& R Hall of Fame but passed on it.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 28 Mar 2019, 19:04

I'll probably go to the Avalon show. I think it is their best album after 1974.

HOF Roxy appearance should be enjoyable to watch but, too bad Paul Thompson is not available. I love his playing. I'm not surprised or disappointed Eno won't perform - it would be out of character. Although, wouldn't it it be cool if he went out there in an outrageous green jumpsuit and made diabolical faces while twiddling knobs!
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 28 Mar 2019, 19:48

I'd just love to see somebody on the stage of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame doing an ear splitting electronic rock n roll solo.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. He and BF buried the hatchet, no?
uggy poopy doody.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 28 Mar 2019, 19:58

Sneelock wrote:I'd just love to see somebody on the stage of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame doing an ear splitting electronic rock n roll solo.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. He and BF buried the hatchet, no?

They did, each has appeared on the other's solo albums in the last 20 years or so. But per the article I saw, Eno has "other commitments" on the night and will not perform.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Mar 2019, 20:25

I had no idea there was an Avalon tour. Is there an a Austin stop?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 28 Mar 2019, 20:42

bobzilla77 wrote:Although, wouldn't it it be cool if he went out there in an outrageous green jumpsuit and made diabolical faces while twiddling knobs!

An outrageous green jumpsuit with feathers!

bobzilla77 wrote:HOF Roxy appearance should be enjoyable to watch but, too bad Paul Thompson is not available. I love his playing

The clearest memory I have of seeing them in 74 is how brilliant Thompson was, especially on In Every Dream Home ... outstanding drummer.

Minnie the Minx wrote:I had no idea there was an Avalon tour. Is there an a Austin stop?

Sure is !

July 30 – Toronto, ON @ Sony Centre
Aug. 1 – Chicago, IL @ Chicago Theatre
Aug. 3 – Detroit, MI @ Fox Theatre
Aug. 5 – Boston, MA @ Boston Opera House
Aug. 7 – Port Chester, NY @ Capitol Theater
Aug. 9 – New York, NY @ United Palace Theater
Aug. 11 – Philadelphia, PA @ The Met
Aug. 13 – Washington DC @ The Anthem
Aug. 15 – Atlanta, GA @ Tabernacle
Aug. 17 – Nashville, TN @ Ryman Auditorium
Aug. 21 – Dallas, TX @ Majestic Theatre
Aug. 23 – Austin, TX @ ACL Live at the Moody Theater
Aug. 25 – Denver, CO @ Paramount Theatre
Aug. 27 – San Diego, CA @ Copley Symphony Hall
Aug. 29 – Los Angeles, CA @ Greek Theatre
Aug. 31 – Oakland, CA @ Fox Theatre
Sept. 3 – Seattle, WA @ Moore Theatre
Sept. 5 – Vancouver, BC @ Queen Elizabeth Theatre

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Mar 2019, 20:54

Aw, sweet!!!!!

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Six String

Postby Six String » 28 Mar 2019, 21:52

OT but a few weeks ago I heard a Ferry album of Roxy songs played/arranged in a style circa 1927. What an interesting concept and some of the songs were unrecognizable from the originals.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 28 Mar 2019, 21:54

pretty neat. really sounds vintage in places.
uggy poopy doody.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 03 Apr 2019, 00:30

Opening with "In Every Dream Home a Heartache"!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 03 Apr 2019, 01:40

Quaco wrote:Opening with "In Every Dream Home a Heartache"!

That just made my evening! Thanks!

Dr Markus wrote:

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 03 Apr 2019, 01:59

Nice set. How it's supposed to be.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 03 Apr 2019, 02:10

Yes!
I am very tempted to go and see Ferry in Austin.
All these cunts will be dead soon(ish).

Dr Markus wrote:

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 03 Apr 2019, 02:14

They were great when I saw them in 2001 or whatever. Again, great set list. They closed with "For Your Pleasure". Stunning stuff.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 03 Apr 2019, 05:14

A friend of mine recently saw Ferry. Her verdict from what I could tell was great but not quite the level of "must see".
king of the divan

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 03 Apr 2019, 07:31

Sneelock wrote:Image
pretty neat. really sounds vintage in places.

That one's instrumental. There's a new one with eight vocal tracks and he's got a real beautiful world-weary voice:

Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Milarepa

Postby Milarepa » 03 Apr 2019, 14:49

I’ve been going through another Roxy Music phase lately. They really were sui generis, especially the first 3-4 albums they just turned “rock music” on its head. The first is ridiculous in its mix of influences, yet somehow it hangs together as a Work. Like the transition between country to “progressive” in If There is Something...nobody else had the balls to do this.

Exactly what is Ferry’s genius? I’ve seen and listened to interviews and he doesn’t seem like an exceptional person, a little thick actually, but somehow he channels this very distinctive and revolutionary approach. It’s not just him, the band operates as a skilled and intelligent unit.

Milarepa

Postby Milarepa » 03 Apr 2019, 14:49

I’ve been going through another Roxy Music phase lately. They really were sui generis, especially the first 3-4 albums they just turned “rock music” on its head. The first is ridiculous in its mix of influences, yet somehow it hangs together as a Work. Like the transition between country to “progressive” in If There is Something...nobody else had the balls to do this.

Exactly what is Ferry’s genius? I’ve seen and listened to interviews and he doesn’t seem like an exceptional person, a little thick actually, but somehow he channels this very distinctive and revolutionary approach. It’s not just him, the band operates as a skilled and intelligent unit.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 03 Apr 2019, 17:06

Milarepa wrote:I’ve been going through another Roxy Music phase lately. They really were sui generis, especially the first 3-4 albums they just turned “rock music” on its head. The first is ridiculous in its mix of influences, yet somehow it hangs together as a Work. Like the transition between country to “progressive” in If There is Something...nobody else had the balls to do this.

He doesn't seem particularly verbal. I just watched a recent interview with him, and I don't know that I would say he seemed thick, but he did seem a bit amused by the world around him? I think he's more visual and knows something's right when he sees it. I'd be interested to know what his songwriting process is/was. The lyrics especially are really so great.

Recent interview with Mackay and Manzanera shed light on the early years. They didn't have the ability to really experiment and work on everything in the studio, so the first album was just a disparate group of players all basically playing the arrangements that Ferry had put together. Later they were all able to contribute more musically. But it was such a diverse group of people -- maybe more important, instruments (oboe, VCS3, electric piano) -- that the results were unique.

Interesting viewing:

Return to “Yakety Yak”