REAP CORNER

Do talk back
never/ever

Re: PROG CORNER

Postby never/ever » 04 Mar 2019, 21:38

Former lead singer of Bad Dreams, Gabriel Agudo is now involved with Dave Kerzner's new project In Continuum- itself a follow-on from Sound Of Contact.
Just released a solo-single and busy with a solo-album featuring Steve Rothery and many others.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 05 Mar 2019, 07:07

I didn’t know any of that. Thanks.

robertff

Postby robertff » 06 Mar 2019, 17:23

W.P.

Image Image

Just about fits in under the broad church banner - Bohemia is superb.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 09 Mar 2019, 11:15

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/nuc ... l-box-set/

NEW REMASTERED 6 CD DISC CLAMSHELL BOXED SET FEATURING EVERY TRACK RELEASED BY NUCLEUS AND IAN CARR FOR THE LEGENDARY VERTIGO LABEL

FEATURING EVERY TRACK FROM THE ALBUMS “ELASTIC ROCK”, “WE’LL TALK ABOUT IT LATER”, “SOLAR PLEXUS”, “BELLADONNA”, “LABYRINTH”, “ROOTS”, “UNDER THE SUN”, “SNAKEHIPS ETCETERA” & “ALLEYCAT”

NEWLY RE-MASTERED FROM THE ORIGINAL VERTIGO RECORDS MASTER TAPES

WITH AN ILLUSTRATED BOOKLET FEATURING AN ESSAY BY SID SMITH

Esoteric Recordings are proud to announce the release of a newly re-mastered 6CD clamshell boxed set anthology featuring all the recordings released by Vertigo Records by the legendary jazz-rock group Nucleus and their founder Ian Carr.
“Torrid Zone – The Vertigo Recordings 1970 – 1975” features every track from the highly celebrated albums “Elastic Rock”, “We’ll Talk About It Later”, “Solar Plexus”, “Belladonna”, “Labyrinth”, “Roots”, “Under The Sun”, “Snakehips Etcetera” & “Alleycat”, all newly re-mastered from the original Vertigo master tapes.

The trumpeter and flugelhorn player Ian Carr was one of the most respected musicians of his era, a true pioneer who saw the potential in fusing the worlds of jazz with some of rock music’s sensibilities. Tiring of the current forms in British jazz, Carr formed Nucleus in 1969, around the same time as Tony Williams was pursuing new paths with his band Lifetime and Miles Davis was experimenting on the album In a Silent Way. With saxophonist and keyboard player Karl Jenkins, drummer John Marshall, saxophonist Brian Smith, bassist Jeff Clyne and guitarist Chris Spedding, the first line-up of Nucleus signed to Vertigo records in late 1969 and recorded the ground-breaking album “Elastic Rock” in January 1970. The original album liner note stated the aims of the band thus; ‘Nucleus is just what the word implies – a small, tightly knit group of musicians. We’re all closely involved with each other musically, and some of us have played together in different contexts before, but this is the first time we’ve met to try and realise our common musical ideals. We see music as a continuous process and have tried to express this on the album. We mean continuous not simply in the physical sense of non-stop sets, but in the general sense that we don’t recognise rigid boundaries, but try to use our total musical experience, whatever it may be’.

“Elastic Rock” received praise from both jazz and rock critics and was followed early the following year by the equally innovative album “We’ll Talk About It Later”. The album “Solar Plexus” (also issued in 1971) was credited to Ian Carr & Nucleus and was the last album to feature the original band members. Karl Jenkins and John Marshall would soon join Soft Machine, another innovative group. Following the solo album “Belladonna” (1972), which featured contributions from guitarist Allan Holdsworth, Ian Carr formed a new line up of Nucleus (including among others bassist Roy Babbington, drummer Clive Thacker, keyboard player Dave MacRae and saxophonist Brian Smith who had appeared on “Belladonna”) to record the impressive “Labyrinth” in 1973.

Over the next two years and on the albums “Roots”, “Under the Sun”, “Snakehips Etcetera” and “Alleycat” the line-up of Nucleus would fluctuate, but Carr would continue to guide a group of innovative and skilled musicians, creating albums that took jazz to new levels of creativity.

This re-mastered 6 CD clamshell box set celebrates the vision and genius of Ian Carr and all the musicians associated with Nucleus During the period the band recorded its most influential work. “Torrid Zone” features an illustrated booklet with an essay by writer Sid Smith and is a fine tribute an innovative force in British jazz.

Let’s (elastic) rock!
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Purgatory Brite

Postby Purgatory Brite » 09 Mar 2019, 12:54

C
Robust

Postby C » 09 Mar 2019, 19:17

clive gash wrote:https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/nucleus-ian-carr-torrid-zone-the-vertigo-recordings-1970-1975-6cd-remastered-clamshell-box-set/

NEW REMASTERED 6 CD DISC CLAMSHELL BOXED SET FEATURING EVERY TRACK RELEASED BY NUCLEUS AND IAN CARR FOR THE LEGENDARY VERTIGO LABEL

FEATURING EVERY TRACK FROM THE ALBUMS “ELASTIC ROCK”, “WE’LL TALK ABOUT IT LATER”, “SOLAR PLEXUS”, “BELLADONNA”, “LABYRINTH”, “ROOTS”, “UNDER THE SUN”, “SNAKEHIPS ETCETERA” & “ALLEYCAT”

NEWLY RE-MASTERED FROM THE ORIGINAL VERTIGO RECORDS MASTER TAPES

WITH AN ILLUSTRATED BOOKLET FEATURING AN ESSAY BY SID SMITH

Esoteric Recordings are proud to announce the release of a newly re-mastered 6CD clamshell boxed set anthology featuring all the recordings released by Vertigo Records by the legendary jazz-rock group Nucleus and their founder Ian Carr.
“Torrid Zone – The Vertigo Recordings 1970 – 1975” features every track from the highly celebrated albums “Elastic Rock”, “We’ll Talk About It Later”, “Solar Plexus”, “Belladonna”, “Labyrinth”, “Roots”, “Under The Sun”, “Snakehips Etcetera” & “Alleycat”, all newly re-mastered from the original Vertigo master tapes.

The trumpeter and flugelhorn player Ian Carr was one of the most respected musicians of his era, a true pioneer who saw the potential in fusing the worlds of jazz with some of rock music’s sensibilities. Tiring of the current forms in British jazz, Carr formed Nucleus in 1969, around the same time as Tony Williams was pursuing new paths with his band Lifetime and Miles Davis was experimenting on the album In a Silent Way. With saxophonist and keyboard player Karl Jenkins, drummer John Marshall, saxophonist Brian Smith, bassist Jeff Clyne and guitarist Chris Spedding, the first line-up of Nucleus signed to Vertigo records in late 1969 and recorded the ground-breaking album “Elastic Rock” in January 1970. The original album liner note stated the aims of the band thus; ‘Nucleus is just what the word implies – a small, tightly knit group of musicians. We’re all closely involved with each other musically, and some of us have played together in different contexts before, but this is the first time we’ve met to try and realise our common musical ideals. We see music as a continuous process and have tried to express this on the album. We mean continuous not simply in the physical sense of non-stop sets, but in the general sense that we don’t recognise rigid boundaries, but try to use our total musical experience, whatever it may be’.

“Elastic Rock” received praise from both jazz and rock critics and was followed early the following year by the equally innovative album “We’ll Talk About It Later”. The album “Solar Plexus” (also issued in 1971) was credited to Ian Carr & Nucleus and was the last album to feature the original band members. Karl Jenkins and John Marshall would soon join Soft Machine, another innovative group. Following the solo album “Belladonna” (1972), which featured contributions from guitarist Allan Holdsworth, Ian Carr formed a new line up of Nucleus (including among others bassist Roy Babbington, drummer Clive Thacker, keyboard player Dave MacRae and saxophonist Brian Smith who had appeared on “Belladonna”) to record the impressive “Labyrinth” in 1973.

Over the next two years and on the albums “Roots”, “Under the Sun”, “Snakehips Etcetera” and “Alleycat” the line-up of Nucleus would fluctuate, but Carr would continue to guide a group of innovative and skilled musicians, creating albums that took jazz to new levels of creativity.

This re-mastered 6 CD clamshell box set celebrates the vision and genius of Ian Carr and all the musicians associated with Nucleus During the period the band recorded its most influential work. “Torrid Zone” features an illustrated booklet with an essay by writer Sid Smith and is a fine tribute an innovative force in British jazz.

Let’s (elastic) rock!

Not 'arf!

Great news

Replete with Karl Jenkins and one of the great tub thumpers John Marshall

oooof!

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

C
Robust

Postby C » 11 Mar 2019, 14:21

I'm off to see Atomic Rooster in a couple of weeks

https://www.facebook.com/landmarqtheban ... =3&theater

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

C
Robust

Postby C » 12 Mar 2019, 17:44

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 15 Mar 2019, 06:38

Tangerine Dream live at the Barbican last week.... Warms the cockles of my heart when I hear this classic!
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 15 Mar 2019, 23:00

Moonrise- The Lights of a Distant Bay

Polish prog band’s debut album from 2008. From the IQ, Pendragon and Marillion corner of the prog spectrum (if spectrums can have corners).

For me this is most enjoyable.

As is this, their 2nd album. (Unfortunately they seem to have stopped at 3, the latest dating back to 2012.)

Soul’s Inner Pendulum

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 16 Mar 2019, 11:18

Seen this name knocking around over the last few years but haven’t listened (daftly, put off by the name somewhat) but listening now and it’s very good.

Aaron Clift is the main man (of course) - he has a very appealing voice and writes some damn fine tunes.

Impressed.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 16 Mar 2019, 13:46

Quintessentially English neo / symphonic prog band formed in the mid 80s

Galahad - In a Moment Of Complete Madness

This is a re-release of an early cassette release (In a Moment Of Madness) with 3 extra live tracks thrown in.

Not bad at all (the live tracks recorded some 5 years after the original release are the strongest). Promise of better things to come.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 16 Mar 2019, 19:30

Ugly Custard. Early 70s instrumental psych art rock band. Great stuff.

C
Robust

Postby C » 16 Mar 2019, 20:22

Lord Rother wrote:Ugly Custard. Early 70s instrumental psych art rock band. Great stuff.

Yes - very nice.

Formed by three members of Blue Mink I recall

Herbie Flowers on bass

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 16 Mar 2019, 20:38

Canadian hard rock psych band from the early 70s who released just the one album.

It’s ok, nothing more. The limited range of the gravel voiced singer is a bit relentless.

Ellison - s/t

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 16 Mar 2019, 20:50

More heavy psych rock this time from 1969.

Thunder and Roses - King of the Black Sunrise. (Again, just the one album from them.)

Better, but similar to the Ellison one. Of its time maybe but the fact it transports you back in time suggests it has an impact. Might have a smoke later....

C
Robust

Postby C » 16 Mar 2019, 22:18

Lord Rother wrote:
Might have a smoke later....

ooooof!

C
Robust

Postby C » 17 Mar 2019, 13:59

A corker of an album

oooof!

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 18 Mar 2019, 21:55

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 19 Mar 2019, 21:02

Quite impressive, but they’ve always been very Floydish.

Return to “Yakety Yak”