RIP Hal Blaine

Do talk back
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

RIP Hal Blaine

Postby Count Machuki » 11 Mar 2019, 22:22

or so social media would have me believe.

Wow!

:cry:

obit. from Variety
Last edited by Count Machuki on 11 Mar 2019, 23:03, edited 3 times in total.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Charlie O.

Re: RIP Hal Blaine?!

Postby Charlie O. » 11 Mar 2019, 22:25

:shock:

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 11 Mar 2019, 22:28

Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 11 Mar 2019, 22:33

It's on Wiki, too.

90 years old.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Re: RIP Hal Blaine

Postby Muskrat » 11 Mar 2019, 23:20

It’s on his Facebook page, too.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 12 Mar 2019, 00:04

RIP Hal, and thank you. :( What a life of music.

Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 12 Mar 2019, 00:09

https://www.musicradar.com/news/drums/t ... ime-450846

The Wrecking Crew's Hal Blaine: "My 11 greatest recordings of all time."
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 12 Mar 2019, 00:22

Ah, that hurts, that really makes me very sad, even if 90 is a long life. Hal drummed on more gold records than any other drummer in history. The Beach Boys owe him a lot. I am going to find out if Brian has come forward with a statement. I even have some solo Blaine on CD, but I must confess I sold one of them, after a listen. Contained very lttle music, just Blaine telling some of his favorite jokes. Nothing wrong with a record like that, but it's the kind of thing I am only likely to play once. If there is a heaven, Hal is sure to be there now, telling his jokes, interspersed with some neat drum fills. RIP to a master, Hal Blaine.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 12 Mar 2019, 00:40

A god. I met him once at a Beach Boys convention in San Diego in the early '90s. Bought his book and he signed it. What googa said is true, he played on more top ten hits that any other drummer. I once won something (I forget what it was) from Rhino Records when I stumped Dr. Rhino by asking him how many top ten songs Hal played on. I just counted them all up (they're listed in the book) and offered the answer. Don't even know if the number I gave him was accurate or not.

Muskrat
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 12 Mar 2019, 02:14

Muskrat

Postby Muskrat » 12 Mar 2019, 03:28

GoogaMooga wrote: I am going to find out if Brian has come forward with a statement.

I’m so sad, I don’t know what to say. Hal Blaine was such a great musician and friend that I can’t put it into words. Hal taught me a lot, and he had so much to do with our success - he was the greatest drummer ever. We also laughed an awful lot. Hal, we love you and our memories will last forever. Love, Brian

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 12 Mar 2019, 08:14

And Ronnie Spector:

25 Months ago Hal Blaine and I made music for the last time together at the NAMM Convention. Today I regrettably have to say goodbye to Hal, and thank him for the magic he put on all our Ronettes recordings... and so many others throughout his incredible career. Thank you Hal. Love forever, Ronnie xxx
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 12 Mar 2019, 09:44

What a drummer,what a legacy,and,from what I've seen from interviews, what a gentleman. Thank you, Hal, for playing on some of the greatest music ever made.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 12 Mar 2019, 10:29

I am still to watch the Wrecking Crew-doco, going to make that a priority this weekend

RIP
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

50 Shades Of Blue

Postby 50 Shades Of Blue » 12 Mar 2019, 13:40

Another of the pillars of my music collection knocked out.
A life well lived.
Some mother's talking 'bout Guns' n 'Roses
As if i give a fuck
At best i think they suck

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 12 Mar 2019, 17:25

Everyone here should already know what I think of Hal, the people he played with and for, and the records he played on. (Incidentally, his record of playing on 40 US number ones was eclipsed in the UK charts by Clem Cattini, who drummed on 41.) Even if he had only done the intro to Be My Baby, he would be up with the immortals (he later confessed that he originally intended to smack the 2 and 4, but dropped one of his sticks)

What some of you may not know, though, is that his life could easily have ended in 1944, when he was caught up in this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartford_circus_fire . so thanks to whoever for the extra 75 years.
RIP Mr Belsky
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 12 Mar 2019, 17:32

An absolute Titan. I watched Steve White’s drumming documentary and Hal was obviously featured. What a man! What stories! A life magnificently lived. I salute you.

50 Shades Of Blue

Postby 50 Shades Of Blue » 12 Mar 2019, 19:44

Rayge wrote:Everyone here should already know what I think of Hal, the people he played with and for, and the records he played on. (Incidentally, his record of playing on 40 US number ones was eclipsed in the UK charts by Clem Cattini, who drummed on 41.) Even if he had only done the intro to Be My Baby, he would be up with the immortals (he later confessed that he originally intended to smack the 2 and 4, but dropped one of his sticks)

What some of you may not know, though, is that his life could easily have ended in 1944, when he was caught up in this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartford_circus_fire . so thanks to whoever for the extra 75 years.
RIP Mr Belsky

Great factoid on the fire
Some mother's talking 'bout Guns' n 'Roses

As if i give a fuck

At best i think they suck

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 13 Mar 2019, 15:12

He was a fantastic player and a true gent. I used to see him at a coffee shop in Northridge CA that I frequented, and introduced myself one day. He was lovely.

A friend of mine posted a nice story about him. My friend had to give a speech at his father's funeral when he was fairly young, I think early 20s. Hal was the first person to come up to him and say "hey, I don't know you and didn't know your dad, I'm here with a friend of mine. But I could tell from your speech how much you loved him and he would be proud of you for giving him such a nice sendoff." That made me choke up a little.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Return to “Yakety Yak”