BCB 130 - queen

Do talk back
Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Re: BCB 130 - queen

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 02 Oct 2014, 12:44

So Kath: How was that Blu Ray?
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 02 Oct 2014, 12:48

Phenomenal Cat wrote:So Kath: How was that Blu Ray?

it was fucquin phenomenal. reap and i watched it twice, back to back. mwhahahaha. maybe i can get him to come in here and review it, if he ever decides to wake up in the next three days. a big if, mind.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 03 Oct 2014, 00:35

kath wrote:
Phenomenal Cat wrote:Oh, but there's two very good reasons to get that earlier show:

"Great King Rat"
"The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke"

What a Dirty Laddio!

ohhhh, i do know.

i am consoling myself in short-term fashion, see.

this will be sorted. soon. reap is, as they say, a great king rabid completist.

Ooh. It's gooood.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 20 Dec 2016, 16:50

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 03 Nov 2018, 00:18

Bump, in the interest of the movie hype and also the upcoming BCB list.

I think people here make some very interesting arguments both for and against.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 03 Nov 2018, 01:58

I (under fairly random "Why the fuck not?" circumstances) joined a Queen tribute band last minute (couple days before a gig) about 3.5 years ago. And I stayed on. It's the sort of enterprise where we're selling the music and arrangements and the sort of "je ne sais quoi " of those songs - as opposed to "that blonde fella with the vacuum cleaner plays drums, and there's our Freddie over there with the mustache and buck teeth, and see the man with the curly perm and the fireplace mantel?". To wit, it's a seven piece, and I'm the only male in the band (three dedicated vocalists and a four piece group - all of whom also sing).

The only thing that the experience has taught me is that people (certainly within 100 square miles of my house, at any rate) really want to hear these songs at this moment in time. No matter where we show up, there's something about walking onstage with this material that automatically generates an enormous amount of good will. The music is an absolute joy to play, and the audiences seem positively starved for it (I'm sure there's a hundred touring companies doing these songs).

To that end, I'd say that the movie (whatever its merits/failings) probably couldn't come at a better time.

If I and/or other people are missing out on some valuable baggage that could potentially ruin the music for us, that may just be our own grave misfortune. As you can imagine, for maybe 20 years, I've heard a fairly rote, reliable and rabid recitation of "The Queen Hater's Greatest Hits" (it's like the old joke about the guy who hates the Beatles - Q: "How can you tell when someone doesn't like the Beatles?" A: "They'll tell you.").

I wouldn't, not in a million years, ever dream of forcing them on anyone. Nor could I imagine being tasked with the unenviable burden of trying to convince a fan that they WEREN'T utterly fantastic.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 03 Nov 2018, 15:36

The older I get I actually appreciate them more. Even some of the 80s stuff sounds better these days. They were pros, songwriters, studio wizards, crowd pleasers.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 05 Nov 2018, 03:55

Bent Fabric wrote: Simple Minds got up on stage (as comparable to "your postman" as we're likely to get) and nothing happened.

Man, FUCK YOU.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 05 Nov 2018, 17:08

My mom actually asked me to make her a Queen comp over the weekend - so I did, obviously. I stuck with the US hits which I thought she'd recognize, plus a couple of deep cuts. It wasn't in chronological order (started with "Bohemian Rhapsody" of course). The earliest cut was "Keep Yourself Alive" and the latest was "Under Pressure." I listened to a lot of the band to decide on what to use and came to the conclusion that I like the hits more than the deep cuts. Any guitar-driven song would've put her off. So no "Tie Your Mother Down," "Ogre Battle," "Sheer Heart Attack," or even "Seven Seas of Rhye" - all of which should've been on a good Queen comp. But she wouldn't have known those songs anyway.

I never was a big fan, but their best stuff is probably on par with anyone's best from the seventies. I have no interest in their LPs after The Game, but then I haven't heard too many after that so maybe I'm missing out.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 06 Mar 2019, 01:04

Some insane fucker has created a blog with his thoughts on EVERY SINGLE SONG ON EVERY QUEEN ALBUM!

The most insane thing about it is I really like the writing:

https://explodedqueen.wordpress.com/
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Return to “Yakety Yak”