Great box sets with that one inexplicable duffer

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Great box sets with that one inexplicable duffer

Postby GoogaMooga » 11 Feb 2019, 15:08

I am playing the heck out of the 1994 Tina Turner box from Capitol, with superb remastering by Larry Walsh. It is so much better than a single or double disc comp, yes, it's all here, Ike and Tina, The Wilderness Years, the solo triumphs on Capitol, even the soundtrack work, and the odd stray to lure the fans who have it all, or need it all. The musical journey experience that a well produced box set can provide, you won't get that sort of thing on Spotify. Anyway, it would be top marks for this bang up job, if it hadn't been for the strange and quite inexplicable inclusion of the "spoken word" track, "A Letter From Tina". Why, oh why? Such a waste. Did she have a hand in writing this song, credited to Ike?

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Re: Great box sets with that one inexplicable duffer

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 11 Feb 2019, 17:08

Three full discs of La Turner and you complain about ONE song?

:o :shock: :?
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 11 Feb 2019, 17:28

I am not so down on her 80s output any more (she was always good in the 60s), in fact, quite the opposite. But, a throwaway is a throwaway, not much better than "Funky Chicken". Even if it's an Ike Turner "song".
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 11 Feb 2019, 18:25

Speaking of ...
Tony Joe White was inactive through much of the '80s, but worked with Tina Turner on her 1989 Foreign Affair album, writing four songs and playing guitar and harmonica.
Question authority.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 11 Feb 2019, 18:32

I would say that a great box set with only one duff track is little short of a miracle.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 11 Feb 2019, 19:05

Jimbo wrote:Speaking of ...
Tony Joe White was inactive through much of the '80s, but worked with Tina Turner on her 1989 Foreign Affair album, writing four songs and playing guitar and harmonica.

Very true. It also ressurected his own career starting with the fabulous Closer to the truth(incl. Steamy windows and Undercover agent for the blues.

The only thing he did in the 80's that I'm aware of was Dangerous and that was not really a swamp thang.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 11 Feb 2019, 20:00

Charlie O. wrote:I would say that a great box set with only one duff track is little short of a miracle.

Ha ha, there are of course degrees of duffness. Some stuff on the 3CD set is a bit heavy-handed, Thunderdome and that sort of thing, but it works within the confines of heavy-handedness, if I may say so. If you are going to be heavy-handed, make it good heavy-handed.

Return to “Yakety Yak”