Who was your favourite musician to have worked and learnt under the great John Mayall and why...?

Do talk back
C
Robust

Re: Who was your favourite musician to have worked and learnt under the great John Mayall and why...?

Postby C » 05 Feb 2019, 16:11

Still Baron wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:I wouldn't say his albums are dull; he is, after all, Godfather of British Blues

You’ll have to choose one, I’m afraid.

Blues from Laurel Canyon
The Turning Point
Bare Wires

That's three for a start

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Quaco
F R double E

Re: Who was your favourite musician to have worked and learnt under the great John Mayall and why...?

Postby Quaco » 05 Feb 2019, 16:14

:D
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 05 Feb 2019, 18:58

C wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:
C wrote:Not forgetting Don Sugarcane Harris but he was schooled by Zappa first

:!: :shock:

Quite the other way 'round if anything, Sir C!

I need to check the dates Chas but Zappa paroled Sugarcane from prison and he played with Zappa on Hot Rats, Burnt Weeny and Weasels Ripped and toured in 1970.

I'm taking issue with your "schooled by Zappa" line. Why did the famously anti-drug Frank parole him? Because Sugarcane was one of his heroes. I love his playing on those Zappa records, but he always sounded like Sugarcane Harris no matter who he played with, and FZ was smart/respectful enough to give him room to do that.
Last edited by Charlie O. on 05 Feb 2019, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 05 Feb 2019, 21:10

Charlie O. wrote:
C wrote:
Charlie O. wrote: :!: :shock:

I need to check the dates Chas but Zappa paroled Sugarcane from prison and he played with Zappa on Hot Rats, Burnt Weeny and Weasels Ripped and toured in 1970.

I'm taking issue with your "schooled by Zappa" line. Why did the famously anti-drug Frank parole him? Because Sugarcane was one of his heroes. I love his playing on those Zappa records, but he always sounded like Sugarcane Harris no matter who he played with, and FZ was smart/respectful enough to give him room do that.

You mean I posted all those Don & Dewey clips for nothing? (not you, Charlie; it supports what you''re saying. Similarly, God knows how many times Phil Spector bailed Ike Turner out of jail for pretty much the same reason).
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 06 Feb 2019, 21:42

Clapton for the Beano album, also the singles he did with Mayall. I'm Your Witchdoctor and On Top of the world, That les paul, his playing, superb.

Big fan of Green too, McVie's bass playing too although his bass sound was better later when in Fleetwood Mac.

Clapton wins.

C
Robust

Postby C » 07 Feb 2019, 11:45

Charlie O. wrote:
C wrote:
Charlie O. wrote: :!: :shock:

I'm taking issue with your "schooled by Zappa" line. Why did the famously anti-drug Frank parole him? Because Sugarcane was one of his heroes. I love his playing on those Zappa records, but he always sounded like Sugarcane Harris no matter who he played with, and FZ was smart/respectful enough to give him room to do that.

Ok, fair point Chas

Yes, fair point

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 07 Feb 2019, 14:48

Probably would have to say Mick Taylor for what he accomplished after, but Peter Green for what he did with the Bluesbreakers.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 08 Feb 2019, 17:21

Buddy Whittington never makes these lists, but he is an astonishing guitar player.
And I saw him in the Bluesbreakers on the same night I saw Peter Green play.
Bless the weather.......Image

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 10 Feb 2019, 09:28

Listened to Primal Solos tonight. What an album! If you ever want to be reminded why Clapton was God, one need only listen to side one.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The North Yorks Moors

Postby The North Yorks Moors » 10 Feb 2019, 10:33

andymacandy wrote:Buddy Whittington never makes these lists, but he is an astonishing guitar player.
And I saw him in the Bluesbreakers on the same night I saw Peter Green play.

I think I saw the same tour. Mayall was really good I thought.

Return to “Yakety Yak”