YES!
No votes
Are you kidding me?
100%

Total votes: 5

Sneelock

Controversial Gillette Ad

Postby Sneelock » 16 Jan 2019, 23:10

I heard about this controversial commercial that had people up in arms about it being "Anti-Man"
then I watched it...

Anti-Man? What do YOU think?
uggy poopy doody.

Robert

Re: Controversial Gillette Ad

Postby Robert » 16 Jan 2019, 23:21

Marketing guys hoping to be ahead of time

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 16 Jan 2019, 23:27

I can see eyes rolling all over America. If's a different kind of ad, I'll give you that, more overtly political than any I'd ever seen. Did you spot Anna Kasparian from TYT? That should make Davey a Shick man.
Question authority.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 16 Jan 2019, 23:28

I don't follow the debate, but have heard of this "toxic man" thing, perhaps this ad is a riposte to that. It's hard to tell, but I don't see it being anti-man.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 16 Jan 2019, 23:34

The men who object to this ad are the same ones who start sentences with "I'm not racist, but..."
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 17 Jan 2019, 00:24

I hate all television advertisements. Gillette can fuck off along with whoever is annoyed at Gillette for making an advertisement.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 17 Jan 2019, 01:07

You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 17 Jan 2019, 08:27

It's an advert. if they didn't think they would sell more products they wouldn't make it.

But, hey, that woke market is a big Market, yesiree!

How about you just show some cunt having a shave and a kid riding around on a bike outside and stop trying to shoehorn some "message" into the damn thing.

Thanks in advance.

Yours, angry conservative.

Arkansas
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

`

Postby ` » 17 Jan 2019, 11:24

Not bad for a company that used to (and maybe still does) sell pink ladies' razors at a mark up over the blue equivalents they market to men.

Gillette won't give a shit about any controversy, as the ad has generated them worldwide publicity worth millions of dollars.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 17 Jan 2019, 13:42

It's a horrorshow of condescending bullshit. Mansplaining to men. Would have been better to have Harvey Weinstein opening his veins, and zooming in on the blade logo.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 17 Jan 2019, 14:08

I have no problem with the message, or that it's ostensibly an ad for razors and I think people that get upset at this type of stuff give far too much importance to their place in the world. Personally, I don't use any Gillette products - not out of any sort of stance but because safety razors are a buck a blade, and you can't beat that!
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 17 Jan 2019, 14:25

Stopped shaving long ago, a quick trim every two-three weeks is enough. Saves me a lot of time, and mercifully, no nicks or cuts.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 17 Jan 2019, 14:35

But guys, Proctor & Gamble is "woke" now, so don't worry about their history of union-busting and price-fixing!
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 17 Jan 2019, 17:06

yeah, this "woke" advertising is lame but I don't get how it insults men. it shows men being DICKS. it insults DICKS. it's trying to sell razors to men who don't want to be DICKS.

it amazes me that Piers Morgan and other well known gasbags feel like they need to stand up for their right to be DICKS.
uggy poopy doody.

algroth

Postby algroth » 17 Jan 2019, 17:22

Not surprised some people see it as "anti-men", likely the same people who cry white genocide at the casting of non-white actors in Star Wars or something. There's nothing remotely "anti-men" here, it's merely challenging attitudes that are pervasive in certain sectors and which are pretty demonstrably toxic, to men themselves even. That said I pretty much agree with the rest here, it's very skin-deep and ostentatious social critique serving the function of selling more razors, fairly obnoxious even if I suppose it's a few steps above the utter mess that the likes of Pepsi have done in the past. For what it's worth it at least takes a side instead of using the trappings and iconography of social movements and revolution for no clear purpose beyond its brand.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 17 Jan 2019, 18:50

I don't object to the message or support the people complaining "don't you tell me what to do, stupid razor libs!"

But this kind of woke ad campaign is somewhat bothersome for other reasons. I figure mist corporations act like Republicans where policy making is concerned. They want to remove consumer protection and employee protection and make a lot of money doing so. Is that a guy you want to have a beer with?
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Return to “Nextdoorland”