King Rocker - Robert Lloyd

Do talk back
Deebank
Resonator

King Rocker - Robert Lloyd

Postby Deebank » 06 Jan 2019, 14:13

This looks interesting:

http://kingrockerfilm.com

I can't say that Robert or any of his projects has ever impinged on my life at all - and I don't recall ever hearing any of their Peel sessions - despite them having recorded the most (more that The Fall!?) but as a big fan of another Brummie outsider and 'failed' pop star this looks like it might be a lot of fun, especially given those involved in its creation.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Rayge

Re: King Rocker - Robert Lloyd

Postby Rayge » 06 Jan 2019, 15:46

Deebank wrote:I can't say that Robert or any of his projects has ever impinged on my life at all.

Give this one a go - one of the great singles of the 1980s (presumably in an edited version, as I don't think you could fit nine minutes on a 7" without losing dynamic rancge – and there's plenty of that in this joyous song)

In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Graham Murakami

Postby Graham Murakami » 06 Jan 2019, 15:52

I only knew about him and the Nightingales through his links with Ted Chippington: will Ted be in the film?

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 06 Jan 2019, 16:48

Rayge wrote:
Deebank wrote:I can't say that Robert or any of his projects has ever impinged on my life at all.

Give this one a go - one of the great singles of the 1980s (presumably in an edited version, as I don't think you could fit nine minutes on a 7" without losing dynamic rancge – and there's plenty of that in this joyous song)

Cheers Ray. I will bend an ear when I’m not on my phone.
He sounded garagey and bit bit Beefheartish on the preview thing I thought.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 06 Jan 2019, 16:50

Graham Murakami wrote:I only knew about him and the Nightingales through his links with Ted Chippington: will Ted be in the film?

Was Chippington mentioned on the film page?
I don’t recall seeing him. You’d think Lee would jump at any opportunity to engage with his hero.

Perhaps he’s one of the ‘and many more’.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 07 Jan 2019, 09:57

Rayge wrote:

:? Kind of reminded me of this a bit:

Not at all what I was expecting from the film :lol: I'm not a fan of that horrible brass sound!

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 07 Jan 2019, 10:26

Rayge wrote:

The short version is great, as are Funeral Stomp and Nothing Matters from around the same era.

The Nightingales did a pretty good single with Vic Godard last year. Hopefully seeing them both again in a few months.

Return to “Yakety Yak”