Zappa's 200 MOTELS to be reissued on DVD and CD

Do talk back
Charlie O.

Zappa's 200 MOTELS to be reissued on DVD and CD

Postby Charlie O. » 03 Jan 2019, 22:32

And the choreography was devised by Gillian Lynne, who went on to ‘invent’ the Lloyd-Webber musical Cats. She always said that 200 Motels was the inspiration for much that she later incorporated into Cats.

:shock:

Anyhoo - available for pre-order in various configurations (no blu ray option, surprisingly) at various price points. I think it's due in May.

https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/frank-zappa-tony-palmer-200-motels?utm_campaign=newsletter_20190103&utm_medium=email&utm_source=pledgemusic&utm_content=promoted&referrer=newsletter

Sneelock

Re: Zappa's 200 MOTELS to be reissued on DVD and CD

Postby Sneelock » 03 Jan 2019, 22:56

a hundred dollars????
it seems to me that the very least they could have done is include the (very good) documentary about making it.

all that technical mumbo jumbo would lead you to believe that you are seeing something state of the art. well, I probably like "200 Motels" better than most and the very idea of presenting it under optimum conditions seems pretty hilarious to me. I mean, the thing was shot on the most prehistoric Video tape known to man in, what, two days? three?

I'm a Zappa fan but clearly the film was a "best we could do under the circumstances" sort of thing. I know us fans fork over for this sort of thing but I think it's pretty sleazy making it sound like you're getting a state of the art version of a something that was made under such strict and stingy conditions.

I got a kick out of the comment that Jeff Simmons was fired for "insubordination". Zappa really was the Grand Wazoo in a lot of ways.
uggy poopy doody.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 03 Jan 2019, 23:05

Sneelock wrote:it seems to me that the very least they could have done is include the (very good) documentary about making it.

That would have been a nice touch, for sure. I assume that the ZFT controls that. And that maybe there's some kinda bad blood between them and Tony Palmer? (I'm totally guessing.)

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 03 Jan 2019, 23:18

Yeah, this Pledge thing looks like it’s all about Tony Palmer, and HIS product, rather than a ZFT project.

It’s a poor film, really. No matter how much affection I have for FZ. Not as bad as Uncle Meat though....
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 03 Jan 2019, 23:25

I'm a little surprised that Palmer is so eager to claim credit for it!

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 04 Jan 2019, 00:03

Fonz wrote:Yeah, this Pledge thing looks like it’s all about Tony Palmer, and HIS product, rather than a ZFT project.

It’s a poor film, really. No matter how much affection I have for FZ. Not as bad as Uncle Meat though....

:lol: Hell, even the "making of" couldn't save that one. I might have the desire to watch it again if somebody had tied Don Preston to an anthill before it ended.

200 Motels can give me a headache (especially in a movie theater) but I have my favorite bits.
"Centerville", some of the concert stuff (especially with Jimmy Carl Black), the pleated gazelle stuff, some of Theodore Bikel's stuff - he's the only real actor in the film and you have to give him an E for Effort.

it's one for the time capsule certainly. in Los Angeles California, in 1971, MGM plastered billboards all over town promoting it. many of those billboards remained long after the movie had left the circuit. they hung split and tattered for months. A nice metaphor for the project as a whole.
uggy poopy doody.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 04 Jan 2019, 00:23

Not sure if I need to upgrade it from the version that came out a few years back... a Blu-ray would be nice but I don't think the quality of the original master is up to scratch to do that.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 04 Jan 2019, 00:28

Don't even like the album.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 04 Jan 2019, 00:29

The poster might be the best thing about it, when you get right down to it.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 04 Jan 2019, 00:31

Seriously, that's the only Zappa album from that era that I have no time for.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 04 Jan 2019, 01:17

you ain't alone. I had a friend who bought it and hated it. He asked me if I wanted to buy it for 5 bucks. I told him that I saw it in a thrift store for one dollar. He took out a dollar and dramatically paid me a dollar to take it off his hands. LOL. he was a fun guy. I'll tell you, I'm glad I didn't pay for it but I do have something nice to say about it.

I think "200 Motels" is to Zappas orchestra music what "Hot Rats" was to his jazz. he's really getting his orchestral chops on that one. now, part of the reason I say this is because I guess "Lumpy Gravy" wasn't put out the way he wanted but still... I like his orchestra music and I think it's a big jump forward.

I also like "Lonesome Cowboy Burt"
uggy poopy doody.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 04 Jan 2019, 02:53

I don't think Zappa was completely happy with ANY of his full orchestra recordings. Except possibly maybe the Läther-era ones. I never saw him say anything catty about those.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 04 Jan 2019, 08:32

Some/most of the actual music is fine-I agree with you about the 'orchestral chops' perspective.

But the plot...

I managed to offload my copy of Uncle Meat(VHS) a couple of years ago. I almost felt cruel inflicting it on the recipient :)
Such a contrast to UM (the album) which is great. Anyone buying the film expecting similar levels of brilliance would be sorely disappointed! (the penalty dialogue tracks don't hint at just how bad it is!)
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 08 Jan 2019, 10:19

Sneelock wrote:200 Motels can give me a headache (especially in a movie theater)

I have never much liked the album, and I tried to watch the video a couple times in the past, but when I saw it in the theater cranked up, I totally got it and loved it. (One of the theaters in L.A., I forget which, maybe ten years ago.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 08 Aug 2019, 14:02

Since I never heard anything more about this, I clicked on the link in my OP and got this message:

A winding up order was made against Pledgemusic.com Limited in the High Court of Justice on 31 July 2019.

As a result of the making of the order, the Official Receiver becomes liquidator of the company. Any enquiries should be forwarded to [email protected], quoting reference LQD5671373.

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Aug 2019, 14:27

Thanks Chas.

As some have stated - not my fave FZ album.

It has soem excellent moments but too much is not robust

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Aug 2019, 16:32

We already have his recent Zappa in New York 40th Anniversary release, plus the upcoming Orchestral Favorites 40th, so I won't lament the passing of this one.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 08 Aug 2019, 17:26

I never liked this album, but then I’m not one for classical. Never had a wish to see the film, either. I love What Will This Evening Bring Me This Morning, but that was never enough to tempt me to buy the album: luckily (in the loosest sense of the word) I had a friend who did. Zappa’s smuttiest period, I guess, but I love the albums surrounding 200 Motels. About time for a revisit, I think.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 08 Aug 2019, 17:39

DD's Ball Bag wrote:Good to have you back, Richard!

Er, thanks. I think. ‘Scope?

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 08 Aug 2019, 17:55

DD's Ball Bag wrote:
He was banned.

Again? How many times was that, I wonder?

Return to “Yakety Yak”