RIP: Dean Ford

Do talk back
Carlisle Wheeling

RIP: Dean Ford

Postby Carlisle Wheeling » 02 Jan 2019, 16:47

I always had a soft spot for Marmalade and over the years I've aquired most of their recordings. Like a lot of late 60's bands they went through quite a few image and style changes and were on the end of a News of the World exposé. They always came over to me as not being too interested in celebrity and it's sad to read about Dean's too early death. RIP.

never/ever

Re: RIP: Dean Ford

Postby never/ever » 03 Jan 2019, 08:16

I heard of him through Alan Parsons'-album Pyramid and I thought he had a solo-album released that was produced by him.
Sad news.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 03 Jan 2019, 17:33

I wouldn't have been able to identify "Dean Ford" from his name, but I love some Marmalade, especially "Reflections of My Life."

R.I.P.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 04 Jan 2019, 16:28

Thought he had a great voice. Loved the way Marmalade transformed from a pop group to one of substance. "Rainbow", "Reflections", even "Cousin Norman" were first class records. Remember seeing them in about 1970 on a late night tv programme, live in concert, and they performed "Suite : Judy Blue Eyes" and excellent it was, too.

Carlisle Wheeling

Postby Carlisle Wheeling » 04 Jan 2019, 19:01

slightbreeze wrote:Thought he had a great voice. Loved the way Marmalade transformed from a pop group to one of substance. "Rainbow", "Reflections", even "Cousin Norman" were first class records. Remember seeing them in about 1970 on a late night tv programme, live in concert, and they performed "Suite : Judy Blue Eyes" and excellent it was, too.

Yeah, he had an great voice, for sure. I'm not totally sure of years but when they moved to Decca from CBS they definitely moved towards becoming a Scottish CSN. I recall interviews in which, like many bands of the time, they hoped for more control of their music. Both periods worked for me.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 04 Jan 2019, 23:48

I actually bought the single "Loving things" (1967?), and the b side was "Hey Joe", an early indication that they had plenty to offer.

Carlisle Wheeling

Postby Carlisle Wheeling » 05 Jan 2019, 16:59

I just found this. Dignified and quite moving.

Footy
Filler

Postby Footy » 06 Jan 2019, 09:27

I was never into Marmalade when they were current but wasn't averse to their singles at the time. Never saw them live, never owned anything by them.
However, I was sad to read of the death of Dean Ford the other day and on a wave of sentimentality and nostalgia I used an Amazon gift voucher to treat myself to a Marmalade best of. Disc 1, 60s, disc 2 70s, forty-odd songs, all much better than I had expected and a much broader spectrum of influences than I had realised, good playing and singing. Time to explore a bit further perhaps.
Grab your coat sweetheart....I've got a knife.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 06 Jan 2019, 10:11

slightbreeze wrote:Thought he had a great voice. Loved the way Marmalade transformed from a pop group to one of substance. .

They were always of substance, their early record "I See the Rain" was probably the best thing they ever did.

Footy
Filler

Postby Footy » 06 Jan 2019, 10:59

The Modernist wrote:
slightbreeze wrote:Thought he had a great voice. Loved the way Marmalade transformed from a pop group to one of substance. .

They were always of substance, their early record "I See the Rain" was probably the best thing they ever did.

Yes, it's superb. Didn't know it before I got my comp the other day so essentially a new song that's fifty years old.
Grab your coat sweetheart....I've got a knife.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 06 Jan 2019, 11:02

Famously, Hendrix named it as his favourite single of 1967.

I found it the original single in a charity shop last year. Scratched to fuck, but still playable, it was great to find the original record.

Return to “Yakety Yak”