40%

Total votes: 45

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Re: US vs. UK round two: the food

Postby Penk! » 06 Dec 2018, 15:52

Toby wrote: microwaved Jalfrezi!

$14 as a main at several top LA restaurants
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Dec 2018, 16:34

SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON wrote:The vast majority of people do not go near Michelin restaurants in their lifetimes. They are exclusive, expensive, and not representative.

A restaurant in San Francisco just got rated Michelin three stars. It has 10 tables, the wait is months and the dinner price for one is $350, not including wine.

San Francisco now has seven Michelin rated restaurants, compared to New York's six and Chicago's three. I haven't been to one of them.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Dec 2018, 16:40

Hightea wrote:UK indian food is outstanding but their are enclaves around the US that compare by the way in NYC they are in Queen and Brooklyn( plus 1/2 the price) not in the posh Manhattan ones.

Over 30% of my adopted hometown's residents are Indian or Pakistani now. You can't throw a rock without hitting some kind of Indian or Pakistani restaurant. Last night, my son and I ate at Favorite Indian Restaurant after dropping off one his friends at water polo practice.

http://www.favoriteunioncity.com/

I wasn't very hungry, but my son was. I just had a vegetable samosa, some chicken soup and a chopped celery and onion salad. Best chicken soup I've ever had.

There are over 50 Indian restaurants in my town. Fremont, where I live, now has the second-highest Indian population in California after San Jose, surpassing Los Angeles.
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 06 Dec 2018, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 06 Dec 2018, 16:43

sloopjohnc wrote:
SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON wrote:The vast majority of people do not go near Michelin restaurants in their lifetimes. They are exclusive, expensive, and not representative.

A restaurant in San Francisco just got rated Michelin three stars. It has 10 tables, the wait is months and the dinner price for one is $350, not including wine.

San Francisco now has seven Michelin rated restaurants, compared to New York's six and Chicago's three. I haven't been to one of them.

My mum's home county in the ROI has three, one of which is in her village.

It's a gastronomic hotspot!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/05/county-cork-gains-three-restaurants-in-2019-michelin-guide-ichigo-ichie-mews-chestnut
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 06 Dec 2018, 16:48

Sloop, in between bouts of throwing rocks at Indian and Pakistani restaurants, enjoys dining alone at Michelin-starred restaurants.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Dec 2018, 16:58

harvey k-tel wrote:Sloop, in between bouts of throwing rocks at Indian and Pakistani restaurants, enjoys dining alone at Michelin-starred restaurants.

:lol:

I'm a man of the people.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 06 Dec 2018, 17:41

Toby wrote:Btw The USA has 148 Michelin compared to the UK with 163. France has 600 and Japan over 400

where did you get that I've got the US at 172(76 NY, 58 SF, 22 Chic, 16 DC) and UK at 180. As Baron stated they are only in four cities in USA. NOLA and LA don't even get reviewed let alone there are plenty of other US areas which easily have at least 1 and 2** restaurants - Michelin is a joke. Secondly I'll take a hole in the wall restaurant over half of those places, I've eaten in several of the NYC 2 and 3 star restaurants (my ex girlfriend was in the fancy NYC wine business and got many free or highly discounted dinners at these places), yes they are good but I could get better elsewhere. Plus I see that its an Alain Ducasse restaurant at the top in the UK. You couldn't pay me to go to another one of his snooty overpriced restaurants (been to enough of them).

I'll state again neither are tops in the world.

Toby wrote:Don't see why not personally. It's a reflection of the food culture of the country to a certain extent. It is a barometer of the quality of chefs for one thing. There has been a quiet revolution in food in the UK since the turn of the century and that is articulated by the sheer number of excellent restaurants here, not only in London but throughout the country.

Yeah the same thing in the USA all over the country too which once again is bigger. Don't start on the food culture crap you have a country full of shitty food just like the US. Both also have a foodie culture too.
Last edited by Hightea on 06 Dec 2018, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 06 Dec 2018, 17:50

sloopjohnc wrote:
Hightea wrote:UK indian food is outstanding but their are enclaves around the US that compare by the way in NYC they are in Queen and Brooklyn( plus 1/2 the price) not in the posh Manhattan ones.

Over 30% of my adopted hometown's residents are Indian or Pakistani now. You can't throw a rock without hitting some kind of Indian or Pakistani restaurant. Last night, my son and I ate at Favorite Indian Restaurant after dropping off one his friends at water polo practice.

http://www.favoriteunioncity.com/

I wasn't very hungry, but my son was. I just had a vegetable samosa, some chicken soup and a chopped celery and onion salad. Best chicken soup I've ever had.

There are over 50 Indian restaurants in my town. Fremont, where I live, now has the second-highest Indian population in California after San Jose, surpassing Los Angeles.

Well there are over 4 Million Indian Americans only around 1.5 million in the UK although not sure how accurate those stats are. two biggest populations are NYC area and San Fran area.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 06 Dec 2018, 17:52

I'm not denying we have shit food. However I'd say that EU standards of food and regulation mean that we have less shit than you do. There are exceptions of course, but there is some shocking industrialised meat production in the USA that simply doesn't exist in the UK.

I think the UK punches above its weight in comparison to the USA considering we have a sixth of your population and something like a twentieth of your landmass.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 06 Dec 2018, 17:56

Toby wrote:So why don't they cover the rest of the country?

because they are too busy kissing the asses of Japanese chefs in Japan and French chefs in France.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 06 Dec 2018, 17:58

Toby wrote:I'm not denying we have shit food. However I'd say that EU standards of food and regulation mean that we have less shit than you do. There are exceptions of course, but there is some shocking industrialised meat production in the USA that simply doesn't exist in the UK.

I think the UK punches above its weight in comparison to the USA considering we have a sixth of your population and something like a twentieth of your landmass.

Completely agree with both those statements.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Dec 2018, 18:03

Hightea wrote:Well there are over 4 Million Indian Americans only around 1.5 million in the UK although not sure how accurate those stats are. two biggest populations are NYC area and San Fran area.

Here's where I got it, besides checking census info.

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2011/05/12 ... ity-group/

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 06 Dec 2018, 18:06

The vast majority – maybe all – of the 'Indian' restaurants I've frequented in the UK over the past 50 years are run by people of Bengali, Pakistani or English origin.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Robert

Postby Robert » 07 Dec 2018, 11:56

GoogaMooga wrote:Then there is Semolina...

I take it that's Zilch's sister?

Robert

Postby Robert » 07 Dec 2018, 12:32

Copehead wrote:
Pat O'Banton wrote:
Hugh wrote:Hershey’s chocolate actually tastes like vomit. How can this be?

Wow, that's what I thought. I thought it was just me.

They started using powdered milk during the war as that was all that was available and this gave it a sour milk flavor that is close to vomit and is exactly like baby vomit, post war it was decided not to switch back as it was cheaper and people had got used to the unique taste of their vomit chocolate.

It isn't just you it is everybody brought up on chocolate made of whole milk who has their first bar of Hershey "chocolate".

There are hardly any producers that use fresh liquid cream and milk to produce chocolate.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Dec 2018, 13:39

Robert wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Then there is Semolina...

I take it that's Zilch's sister?

He once tried to kid me that he had a sister hidden from the outside world. I didn't buy it, of course.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Return to “Nextdoorland”