Terrestrial TV

..and why not?
KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Terrestrial TV

Postby KeithPratt » 27 Nov 2018, 12:11

How much terrestrial TV do you watch anymore?

By that, I would strip it down to the old-fashioned "when something is on" rather than watching it on catchup.

We've binged on the first 6 episodes of the Last Kingdom as it's out on Netflix already and that got me thinking that perhaps Match of the Day apart, there is little or nothing I watch now. What sort of consequence does this have for TV in the long run?

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: Terrestrial TV

Postby naughty boy » 27 Nov 2018, 12:23

I like the idea of dropping everything and running from one room to catch something just as it starts. I dislike the fact that that's pretty much all gone now.

I'll try to get in front of the TV for Newsnight, Would I Lie To You? and Question Time - and also one-off things with Louis Theroux, some BBC Four docs, the odd comedy (I'm looking forward to Vic and Bob tomorrow) and loads of afternoon junk (Can't Pay..., Four In A Bed, Come Dine With Me)
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 27 Nov 2018, 14:06

I don't have netflix or anything like that so my viewing is pretty traditional still, apart from using iplayer for catch up.
I would say 90% of what I watch is on BBC2 or BBC4.
I struggle to find much to watch on the satellite channels - I like that one with Drew Whatsisname where he drives around junk yards and stately homes buying stuff and I like Sky Landscape Artist of the Year..but they're the only two things I watch regularly.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 27 Nov 2018, 15:16

There are better options than Netflix.

On Danish TV, we have usually got a long fall series going on, some of them were shown on UK TV. Besides that, a weekly political analysis program, Tuesdays. The occasional oldie, try sitting up for Falstaff at twenty past four in the morning!
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Nov 2018, 23:07

I still watch a fair amount, mostly sports and cable news. But we have hundreds of channels, including HBO and can access Netflix and YouTube from our TV.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 27 Nov 2018, 23:25

the news addicted comedian shows are best enjoyed in a timely fashion.
I head to the set when John Oliver or Samantha Bee are on. In three days it'll be out of date.
uggy poopy doody.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 28 Nov 2018, 12:42

Very, very little these days.

If I’m at home and Masterchef is on I’ll watch it. Documentaries on BBC4 or BBC2 occasionally. Gordon Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares. The occasional weeknight movie. I watch mostly fluff. I’m not into box sets or Netflix although I have started watching The House On Haunted Hill with the lass and a mate and I’ll be watching the new series of Big Night Out with both of them as well. Recently we watched Twin Peaks The Return together and it was nice to share that experience although obviously that’s not terrestrial telly.

I can’t say this bothers me that much really but there is something a little bit sad about that communal experience being diluted. There was something nice about appointment to view telly growing up like TOTP or Match of the Day. You just felt like you were part of something and it was also in the moment so it give it a deeper resonance. You didn’t want to miss something, you know? Now of course with Iplayer and youtube it’s all out there, preserved for posterity forever.

There’s no decent “light entertainment” anymore is there either? Nothing to gather round the box for on a Friday or Saturday night. When you look back at your Morcambe and Wise’s and families gathered round the telly for the Xmas special it seems so old fashioned now. A relic from a bygone era. 20+ million people! Grandma falling asleep on the couch etc.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Nov 2018, 13:00

I grew up with one public service channel, so a talking point the next day, whether at school or at work, was what the whole nation had watched the night before. All gone now. It takes a World Cup or maybe the fall series for people to share such experiences.

It's both sad and liberating. For it is not always a good idea for some programmers or commissioning editors to decide what a whole nation should watch. Especially not if the public service is politically slanted, whether to the left or to the right.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Return to “Screenadelica”