Cancer

Controversial
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: Bertolucci RIP

Postby The Modernist » 26 Nov 2018, 10:05

Surely he deserves a more thoughtful post than that.

He's another giant, one of the great European arthouse auteurs. The Conformist was his masterpeice in my view.
RIP

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 26 Nov 2018, 10:38

I was thinking about this the other day, how so many of the great continental European directors of the 60s are gone. I reckon that Godard and Varda are pretty much now the only ones left now.

driftin

Postby driftin » 26 Nov 2018, 13:14

He's more famous for Last Tango In Paris, The Last Emperor, and The Conformist but it's actually The Dreamers which is my favourite of his, a film brimming with youthful energy, sexuality, and a deep passion of cinema in both its story and storytelling. It also has Eva Green going full nude loads so that's a bonus.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 26 Nov 2018, 14:15

The Modernist wrote:The Conformist was his masterpeice in my view.

Agreed, although I haven't seen all his films.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 26 Nov 2018, 14:35

Snarfyguy wrote:
The Modernist wrote:The Conformist was his masterpeice in my view.

Agreed, although I haven't seen all his films.

I was looking at his filmography today. I thought Spider's Stratagem was his first film but there's quite a few before that. I'd like to see those.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Nov 2018, 16:10

Conformist is the one, but his epics made him a household name, or close enough. I like La Luna the most. RIP
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 26 Nov 2018, 16:48

The Sheltering Sky is hypnotic and ultimately quite draining but well worth seeing for Timothy Spall's depiction of the odious Eric Lyle.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 26 Nov 2018, 20:21

Not a huge fan, and I agee with driftin about The Dreamers.

I will say that seeing Jill Clayburgh jerking off her teenage junkie son in Luna is one of the oddest scenes I've ever watched.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 26 Nov 2018, 21:18

The Conformist is one of the greatest movies ever made.

RIP
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 26 Nov 2018, 21:51

Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 27 Nov 2018, 23:57

I'm on Facebook a lot. Part of the Facebook normal seems to be mentioning people you admire who have passed. Nick Roeg died, then BB. I couldn't bring myself to post anything largely because I seriously doubt most of the people who see my posts on Facebook give a flying fuck who
Roeg or Bernardo Bertolucci were. This place is a comfort at times like this. even people in this thread who don't like Bertolucci know he was a film maker.

a couple years ago the gal from "Last Tango" charged that she was abused during the making of the film. I didn't re-watch the film but I reassessed my feelings about it. so, Bernardo has been on my mind. I have complicated feelings about "Tango" but I don't have complicated feelings at considering him a great artist.

I took friends to see 1900 when it was new. BB was one of my movie rock stars at the time. The Film (in my estimation) presumes to explain the difference between Fascism & communism. the film begins with people being chased by pitchforks and ends with that same sequence of people being chased by pitchforks. he uses that running time to skillfully manipulate how you feel about it when you see it the second time. there's a scene where Donald Sutherland picks up a pussycat and asks another character to regard the cat as communism. he then squishes the cat with his head and smiles dementedly with cat guts all over his face. my friends were clobbered by 1900 and so was I. they found the experience unpleasant. I suppose I did too but I was just sitting there in the theatre and letting a great film maker drive his monster truck all over me.

I had mixed feelings about his later, even bigger movies but I think they are singular & ambitous. Even when his movies were less ambitious, his skill was evident. one of the greats.
uggy poopy doody.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Nov 2018, 14:15

Bummer.

too soon?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 28 Nov 2018, 15:16

Minnie Cheddars wrote:Bummer.

too soon?

Utterly
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Nov 2018, 15:17

:D
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 28 Nov 2018, 16:49

Terrible puns here. I can’t believe they’re not better....

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 28 Nov 2018, 18:55

Sneelock wrote:a couple years ago the gal from "Last Tango" charged that she was abused during the making of the film. I didn't re-watch the film but I reassessed my feelings about it. so, Bernardo has been on my mind. I have complicated feelings about "Tango" but I don't have complicated feelings at considering him a great artist.

In my little corner of Facebook, I’m seeing a lot of “call-out” culture responses to Bertolucci’s passing based on this incident. The standard line is to call both him and Brando “rapists” and to argue that nobody should watch a film with a “real life rape in it.”

It puts me in such a strange position. I don’t want to defend the obvious exploitation that Schneider endured, but I think that she’s been exploited again in her death by people with an agenda (and those who derive a sense of moral superiority by echoing them).

It is hard to have an adult conversation about what was really and truly wrong with what happened to her without feeling like you are parsing the definition of rape.

The whole thing is ugly. I’m not sure what to do with it - and I really don’t want to dispense with Brando, Bertolucci or Last Tango just because I think that all of them are guilty to varying degrees of exploiting a young actress.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 28 Nov 2018, 19:28

Well it's a good thing Martha's not here then!

As I recall, she had a lot to say on the subject.

I can't even remember the movie well enough to discuss it.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 28 Nov 2018, 19:35

There is a discussion to be had about exploitation on set and the power that directors wield in that environment but she wasn't raped and to suggest she was is simply wrong.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 28 Nov 2018, 19:46

Schneider said initially that she felt like she was raped because she wasn't told beforehand about the 'butter'-scene. I wasn't too crazy about the movie, though I must admit checking it out a few years back after reading of Brando's habit of not memorizing his lines but leaving cue-cards everywhere on the set.

I was more taken by movies like Novecento which was more of a timepiece and gave him room to explore different storylines which he did well, although his penchant for unexpected disturbing scenes were something that made my toes curl.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Return to “Screenadelica”