NFL & College Football 2012/2013/2014 & beyond....

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
sloopjohnc

Re: NFL & College Football 2012/2013/2014 & beyond....

Postby sloopjohnc » 13 Nov 2018, 19:02

Diamond Dog wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:The Rams can win the division this week (11) - the only other time a division has been settled this early was the Bears in '85... they need to beat the Chiefs in Mexico City (I'm sure that decision to give away a home match will be looked at by The Rams now) and the Packers beating the Seahawks in Seattle. So they may have to wait until after their bye week in week 12.

The Rams' secondary is vulnerable and didn't look so good. I think Mahomes chews them apart.

Both are shitty against the run so Gurley may have an edge.

The Rams are really banged up all over - Kupp now out for the seeason too. They need the bye.

Both D's are poor at present - the best chance the Rams have is Gurley as you say, but they'll definitely score points no matter what. The Chiefs will score points, no question. It may come down to last to have the ball!

Kinda like that great game between those 1-8 behemoths of the gridiron, the Niners and Giants last night?
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 Nov 2018, 19:58

Mullens is going to be a player though Sloop!
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 14 Nov 2018, 16:14

Diamond Dog wrote:Mullens is going to be a player though Sloop!

He may.

Yesterday on sports talk radio, one of the hosts posited the theory that Kyle Shanahan might be one of those guys that's a better coordinator than head coach. The beat reporter being interviewed immediately disputed that notion and said Shanahan has the respect of all the players on the Niners, despite their record. A) he knows his shit and B) he's honest with his players.

Case in point: when the Giants made a long completion in the last game, the corner threw up his hands because he was expecting help from a safety. Apparently, Shanahan got on him and told him to stop whining and the team takes care of that kind of stuff in house, and not on the field, and not to do that again.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 14 Nov 2018, 16:30

sloopjohnc wrote:
Case in point: when the Giants made a long completion in the last game, the corner threw up his hands because he was expecting help from a safety. Apparently, Shanahan got on him and told him to stop whining and the team takes care of that kind of stuff in house, and not on the field, and not to do that again.

Yes I saw that. It was Witherspoon I think. And he certainly played it like he was expecting safety help - but, if Shanahan took him to task and explained why he doesn't want to see it on the pitch, fair play to him.

Maybe he should work for The Giants and have the same coversation with OBJ.
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Nov 2018, 17:08

So Le'Veon Bell is going to sit out the whole of his last season at Pittsburgh and not earn a penny of the $14.5 million he was contracted to do (this is an inflated figure because he was franchise tagged this year... his actual salary last season would have been in the $11 million range).

He becomes a free agent next season and, reputedly, is looking for $15 million a year. The Steelers were, reputedly, happy to pay him $13 for four years - he refused that (hence the franchise tag) By my reckoning, he would need to get 6 years of that $15 million deal to get back what he has lost this year. Of course, he may have got the $15 million next season anyway. Of course, he may have had a career ending injury had he turned up to play this year.

All I know is - he's lost $14.5 million. He's 27 years old next season, which for a RB is at just the stage people get a bit jittery about long term wear and tear. He has had injury issues. He has had personal conduct issues (ie- breaking the NFL drug policy - twice). His production last season dropped and he hasn't touched a ball competitively since Jan 2018.

I think the chances of him getting $15 million per years is very small - the chances of him getting it guaranteed (which seems to be the only sensible reason for the holdout this year) is frankly zero. And he has further tarnished a repuation that wasn't exactly stellar in the first place.

A great running back but poorly advised, I think.
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Nov 2018, 17:44

Diamond Dog wrote:The Rams can win the division this week (11) - the only other time a division has been settled this early was the Bears in '85... they need to beat the Chiefs in Mexico City (I'm sure that decision to give away a home match will be looked at by The Rams now) and the Packers beating the Seahawks in Seattle. So they may have to wait until after their bye week in week 12.

Well the Pac k lost another close one so this isn't going to happen.

But the game is at least being played in LA now, the Azteca Stadium in Mexico City being deemed unfit by the NFL. A huge loss to the city and a fairly spectacular own goal.
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 Nov 2018, 15:04

Diamond Dog wrote:So Le'Veon Bell is going to sit out the whole of his last season at Pittsburgh and not earn a penny of the $14.5 million he was contracted to do (this is an inflated figure because he was franchise tagged this year... his actual salary last season would have been in the $11 million range).

He becomes a free agent next season and, reputedly, is looking for $15 million a year. The Steelers were, reputedly, happy to pay him $13 for four years - he refused that (hence the franchise tag) By my reckoning, he would need to get 6 years of that $15 million deal to get back what he has lost this year. Of course, he may have got the $15 million next season anyway. Of course, he may have had a career ending injury had he turned up to play this year.

All I know is - he's lost $14.5 million. He's 27 years old next season, which for a RB is at just the stage people get a bit jittery about long term wear and tear. He has had injury issues. He has had personal conduct issues (ie- breaking the NFL drug policy - twice). His production last season dropped and he hasn't touched a ball competitively since Jan 2018.

I think the chances of him getting $15 million per years is very small - the chances of him getting it guaranteed (which seems to be the only sensible reason for the holdout this year) is frankly zero. And he has further tarnished a repuation that wasn't exactly stellar in the first place.

A great running back but poorly advised, I think.

Also shows how the value of the position has diminished. When the Steelers drafted Connors and this whole Bell thing started, I thought he may have some bad timing. Connors was a good/great back in college and proved the Steelers point.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Nov 2018, 09:06

I sat and watched the Saints in absolute awe last night - over the past 6 weeks or so, I think they're playing the greatest offence I've ever seen. I mean - ever. They are stunning.

I'm also certain I cannot remember a season where we've had three offences (Saints, Chiefs, Rams) who may well go down as greatest ever.
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 19 Nov 2018, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.
Cocaine

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 19 Nov 2018, 09:12

How the fuck did the Steelers manage to win that one?
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Nov 2018, 09:32

never/ever wrote:How the fuck did the Steelers manage to win that one?

Two TD's in the final two minutes :) The Steelers are tough this season - I almost think the Bell situation has moulded them closely as a unit.

Terrible news about Alex Smith at Washington- let's hope he recovers in time but a double leg fracture... that's not good.
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Nov 2018, 17:28

Diamond Dog wrote:
never/ever wrote:How the fuck did the Steelers manage to win that one?

Two TD's in the final two minutes :) The Steelers are tough this season - I almost think the Bell situation has moulded them closely as a unit.

Terrible news about Alex Smith at Washington- let's hope he recovers in time but a double leg fracture... that's not good.

Happened on the same day as Theisman broke his leg.

The game that I really wanted to see was the Cowboys/Falcons. Both has the same record and I wanted to see how each responded. Kinda turned out as I expected.

Looks like the Bengals will finally have a reason to fire Marvin Lewis at the end of the year.

Other notes: Chargers laid an egg losing to shitty Denver and the Bears are for real, winning important conference game.

Saints/Eagles game kinda what I expected too, although I was hoping the Eagles would play a little better.

Chiefs/Rams tonight.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 20 Nov 2018, 08:06

Watching the Chiefs and Rams made me wonder if I wasn't watching the NCAAF instead...
I don't think either team deserved to win or lose that one.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 20 Nov 2018, 08:08

EA Sports wish they could programme their John Madden game to come up with a match like the Rams v Chiefs last night!
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 20 Nov 2018, 13:49

I've just watched the whole game... I'm kind of speechless really. For two teams to turn up and play such brilliant offence in one game is kind of unheard of. The Chiefs have lost two games by three points - at the Patriots & at the Rams. If they can secure homefield advantage... I think they're Superbowl bound. The Rams have a slightly easier shedule than the Saints and, hopefully, that will get them homefield advantage. The Saints coming to LA is a game the Rams can win - i'm not sure anyone wins in New Orleans for the rest of the season.
I honestly don't see anyone outside of those three winning the whole thing. I'm not convinced all is great in New England, the Texans are good defensively but not enough on offence. The Steelers are the opposite - very good offensively but their D looks suspect. The Bears D has taken advantage of a really soft schedule but I think the Rams will put them to the sword in Chicago in a couple of weeks. And I absolutely don't see the Chargers being good enough.
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 20 Nov 2018, 16:53

That was like watching hoops, not football. But it was a good game. McVay tried to get a little too fancy there at the end and it almost bit him. Why not run Gurley instead of screen passes? Conventional wisdom?

Some fun trivia from last night: The Chiefs and Rams scored more touchdowns last night than the Buffalo Bill have scored all season.

The Chiefs have scored more in their losses than wins.

It was the third highest scoring game ever in NFL history.

Vegas had the over/under at around 64 or 64.5 and took a bath last night with losses in seven figures.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Nov 2018, 10:45

Adrian Peterson is clearly not only a particularly thick cunt, he's also a nasty piece of work.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2534 ... ipline-son

Peterson said, "I had to discipline my son and spank him the other day with a belt."

He also said he disciplines his kids in various other ways, including having them do wall squats or sitting in timeout or taking away their electronics.

"There's different ways I discipline my kids. I didn't let that change me," Peterson said in the article.

Peterson was suspended in 2014 after being charged with felony child abuse for using a switch to spank his then-4-year-old son. It resulted in cuts and bruises all over the boy's body, including his buttocks and scrotum.

I'd like to think the NFL and/or Washington will do something immediately. Like sit out the rest of the season (as a minimum). And I'm a Washington fan.
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Nov 2018, 23:07

Matthew Stafford bottles it yet again.

And then the delights of Buck & Aikman for yet another Dallas game - doFox Sports ever move their gear out of AT&T Stadium?
Cocaine

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 24 Nov 2018, 11:20

In the NCAA I'm really enjoying UCF's unbeaten run and think that their QB, MacKenzie Milton has been awesome... To see him getting stretchered off in the match against South Florida was really sad to see.

Sublime match between the Sooners and Mountaineers as well...

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Nov 2018, 13:11

The Saints are playing some great D too now... they are strong and valid favourites.
Cocaine

Six String

Postby Six String » 24 Nov 2018, 21:08

Atlanta was pathetic Thursday night against the Saints, not that I expected them to win (or even care). I only say this because the network talking heads were trying to promote the game as something interesting. It wasn't other than watching N.O. showing how badass they are.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Return to “Sporting Life”