40%
It's not ok
60%

Total votes: 5

fange
100% fangetastic

What do you think of stuff like this?

Postby fange » 23 Nov 2018, 01:02

I saw this in a FB post by an American friend, and it made me think about several things.

I'm not a vegetarian, but something about these kinds of memes/shots/attempts at humour strike me as not very funny, a bit disrespectful, to the animal that was slaughtered. Am i getting a bit too precious about it? Is there an underlying, all-too human tendency to laugh at this kind of thing that i should just accept as funny?

Last edited by fange on 23 Nov 2018, 05:10, edited 1 time in total.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Re: What do you think of stuff like this?

Postby The Red Heifer » 23 Nov 2018, 01:34

It made me smile. I think there is an increasing amount of preciousness in comedy these days. Some of it deserved in regards to discriminatory humour, but if you look hard enough every piece of humour ever produced would've offended at least one person so we need to be careful to not try and please everybody.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 23 Nov 2018, 04:31

fange wrote:I saw this in a FB post by an American friend, and it made me think about several things.

I'm not a vegetarian, but something about these kinds of memes/shots/attempts at humour strike me as not very funny, a bit disrespectful, to the animal that was slaughtered. Am i getting a bit too precious about it? Is there an underlying, all-too human tendency to laugh at this kind of thing that i should just accept as funny?

It revolts me. An animal died, probably horribly, so you could eat it.
I’m not a sanctimonious veggie, and I really don’t care what other people eat, but this sort of thing is obscene.
I’m a bit drunk at the minute so excuse the rant, but I have similar feelings about shit like crawfish broils where people post ‘hilarious’ videos of how THIS ONE TRIED TO GET AWAY and shows something running for its fucking life before going into the pot.
There is something missing in people who find that funny, and I don’t know what it is, but I know I don’t want to be friends with them.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 23 Nov 2018, 05:08

Minnie Cheddars wrote:.. I have similar feelings about shit like crawfish broils where people post ‘hilarious’ videos of how THIS ONE TRIED TO GET AWAY and shows something running for its fucking life before going into the pot.

Yes! I totally agree with what you're saying here. For me, there's an underlying obscene feeling to moment like that or the picture above, to use your word; like it's a kind of acceptable, adult version of little kids pulling wings off bugs and laughing as they watch them crawling about.
Do we as humans now in the year 2018 still have to hold on to all these emotional vestiges of dominance over the animals and our earth? Just because we kill an animal to eat it, do we have every right to use its remains as we wish, no matter how wasteful, degrading, obnoxious it might be to what was recently another living thing?

I can tell you now, my grandpa would've given me a right telling off if he had seen me taking a picture like that one above. Not because he was a vegetarian or didn't have a sense of humour, but because food was not something to treat like that. He grew up in Greece at a time when people were often a couple of days away from starving in the winters. You treated your animals as well as possible, and when you needed to you killed them, but you didn't dress them up to take funny photos of them for the amusement of bored friends.
Again, maybe i'm being a bit too precious about this. But it just doesn't sit well with me.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 23 Nov 2018, 05:12

Minnie Cheddars wrote:I’m a bit drunk at the minute so excuse the rant, but I have similar feelings about shit like crawfish broils where people post ‘hilarious’ videos of how THIS ONE TRIED TO GET AWAY and shows something running for its fucking life before going into the pot.

Yeah I don't like stuff like that whatsoever. I'm not immune to the fact animals die to feed me, but I'm sure as fuck not going to have a yuk about something trying it's hardest not to die. As much as I cracked a smile at the original post, the thought of watching something for then going LOL THOUGHT YOU COULD LIVE HUH? doesn't sit well.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 23 Nov 2018, 05:21

The Red Heifer wrote: if you look hard enough every piece of humour ever produced would've offended at least one person so we need to be careful to not try and please everybody.

For the most part there is truth in this, i agree, but as i said, this still just doesn't sit well with me. Yeah, it's just a joke, a pun - but it's also a telling sign of how little we still care about non-human life - let alone other humans we don't know.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 23 Nov 2018, 09:13

It's funny.
Question authority.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 23 Nov 2018, 09:50

Is it any more obscene or degrading that shoving onions and stuffing up its arse? Maybe it is because this is just done to amuse, to tickle but I’m assuming they cooked it afterwards as well. People draw the line in different places and to some people like Morrissey you are all disgusting if you cook a bird.

Does it make me laugh? No. Might I laugh if I walked into my mates house and saw it? Possibly. Does it offend me? No. Would I think about it twice if I saw it on Facebook? No. I did think the remote control was a nice touch though.

I can understand why some find it distasteful, disrespectful even but then I can understand that why to many it’s also just a dead bird and they are having a laugh on Thanksgiving after a few beers. People’s senses of humour can be so different from your own that it can be jarring to be confronted by something that somebody else finds amusing and which crosses over your personal lines. Sometimes people naturally infer things about the person who is laughing, like it’s evidence of a greater character flaw or summat. The thing with humour is that it can bypass everything. Accepted social norms, personal sensitivities, personal beliefs, whatever. If it makes you laugh, it makes you laugh. You don’t always control that. You can of course think something is a “little bit wrong” but also find humour in it too. That’s ok.

Speaking as someone whose sense of humour is not terribly politically correct and more than a bit transgressive I’ve had numerous looks from people over the years who I strongly suspect were thinking “there’s something wrong with Douglas”. But there isn’t. Well, not like that anyway. In these kinds of situations I tend to therefore comedown on the side of those people who think the turkey in the sink is amusing. But I can see both sides too. As a meat eater I do get occasional pangs pf guilt sometimes. I’m sure many of us do.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 23 Nov 2018, 10:06

It's neither funny nor offensive to me.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 23 Nov 2018, 10:08

I don't want to get on my high horse on this because i don't have one. I'm a meat eater, so have probably wasted or eaten animals that were treated badly many times in my life. And if i saw this suddenly in a mates kitchen my first reaction would probably be a chuckle too before calling him a dickhead. But as i've tried to say clearly, it just doesn't sit well with me.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 23 Nov 2018, 10:13

You don't know the story though. It may be that this person was a farmer and treated his/her birds with care and had a laugh afterwards. It, I suspect, is probably a cheap bird bought from some godawful supermarket that went through hell from the moment it was born, but you just can't say for certain.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 23 Nov 2018, 10:20

It made me laugh when I first saw it (I think it's been doing the rounds for a few years now) but it's not exactly bust-a-gut hilarious. I agree with D about the remote control. To be honest, the cruel/disrespectful side passed me by altogether. To me it's a bit like those anthropomorphic ads where an orange speaks to you or a bag does a dance or something. The comedy is in the ridiculous image - which doesn't suggest anything nasty to me.

The crawfish escaping thing is a different matter, 'cos that's obviously cruel.

What about this? I know it's some people's favourite ( :oops: ) but I know some others can hardly stand to watch it.

Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 23 Nov 2018, 10:23

The cat's scared but it's not being subjected to any obvious harm that we are aware of - you can see that it's being stroked by its owner (I guess). Cats often find unusual things scary that we are bemused by.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 23 Nov 2018, 10:24

I don't know whether it is a question of balance and if this one of those things that in the grand scheme of ' offensibility' doesn't really tip the scale one way or the other but I can understand where you are coming from.
I'm from a generation where you were taught not to waste any food. I can cringe when I see shows where food willy-nilly gets wasted (saw some footage earlier of a wrestling match where several tables filled with Thanksgiving food got destroyed by flying bodies and I thought it was revolting). I remember having a bit of a reaction when I saw the Peter Gabriel-video of Sledgehammer with the dancing chicken corpses. Ultimately there is always some form of waste (how much food do we throw away every single day?) and sometimes you got to prick through your own created principles and see something for what it is....
I think the picture is creative, clever and I hope that afterward it led to a nice meal for the perpetrator.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 23 Nov 2018, 14:18

I just think it's gross because sinks are disgusting.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Six String

Postby Six String » 23 Nov 2018, 17:43

harvey k-tel wrote:I just think it's gross because sinks are disgusting.

And a sink with a raw chicken even more so....
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 23 Nov 2018, 18:33

Now soberish, I would add that had the carcass been that of a dog, I should imagine that people's reactions would have been different. We decided to call some animals domesticated, and treat them differently, and process others for food, but there is no difference at all other than our perceptions of what some animals mean to us and and what other animals don't. Someone raised their eyebrows when I wasn't interested in signing a "stop the Chinese dog meat trade" petition - someone who ate cows. :roll:

I'm not a vegan yet anyway, so I can't claim to have any moral high ground at all. The dairy industry, save some people who go out of their way, is invariably appalling and aids and abets slaughter and separation.

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

:lol:
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String

Postby Six String » 23 Nov 2018, 21:02

Yes, a nurse I used to work with was appalled when I told her about the horse meat pizza I ate in Italy.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 23 Nov 2018, 23:13

I really dislike this kind of thing. It's obscene to make fun of something that has been killed. I don't get it.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Robert

Postby Robert » 23 Nov 2018, 23:39

Minnie Cheddars wrote:Now soberish, I would add that had the carcass been that of a dog, I should imagine that people's reactions would have been different. We decided to call some animals domesticated, and treat them differently, and process others for food, but there is no difference at all other than our perceptions of what some animals mean to us and and what other animals don't. Someone raised their eyebrows when I wasn't interested in signing a "stop the Chinese dog meat trade" petition - someone who ate cows. :roll:

I'm not a vegan yet anyway, so I can't claim to have any moral high ground at all. The dairy industry, save some people who go out of their way, is invariably appalling and aids and abets slaughter and separation.

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

:lol:

How’s that so??

Return to “Nextdoorland”