Mankind's Worst Invention

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

Which in your view has created the most misery and distress? (up to three)

Monotheism
22%
Money
6%
Fascism/Objectivism (Ayn Rand authoritarian life-hating shit)
6%
Ballistic Weaponry (from arrows to ICBMs, anything that kills at a distance)
8%
The Steam Engine/Industrial Revolution
6%
Nation-States/Borders
11%
The Beatles
3%
Prog
8%
Rugby Union
11%
Other (please specify)
14%
Another (please specify)
3%
Yet another (please specify)
3%

Total votes: 36

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: Mankind's Worst Invention

Postby Goat Boy » 21 Nov 2018, 23:31

Monotheism
Rugby
Prog
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 21 Nov 2018, 23:42

Language. It stinks!
king of the divan

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 22 Nov 2018, 00:02

mentalist (slight return) wrote:Language. It stinks!

i hope yer not including semaphore in this.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 22 Nov 2018, 01:54

kath wrote:

i hope yer not including semaphore in this.

Don't get me started on semaphore!
king of the divan

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 22 Nov 2018, 07:04

toomanyhatz wrote:These are all symptoms of the biggest issue that faces us - the notion that one human is inherently superior or more important than another.

Still bitter about losing in the 70s Cup I see.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 22 Nov 2018, 07:08

Rugby
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 22 Nov 2018, 10:21

fange wrote:Rugby

Aren't you in Brisbane now? It must be awfully hard to converse with the locals considering you come from the dimmer Australian stock that can't tell Union and League apart!
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 22 Nov 2018, 11:11

Was/is polytheism any better than monotheism?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 22 Nov 2018, 11:17

god knows.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 22 Nov 2018, 11:25

Arf!
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 22 Nov 2018, 11:30

or even

gods know

Robert

Postby Robert » 22 Nov 2018, 11:47

We have a winner!

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 22 Nov 2018, 11:54

The Red Heifer wrote:

Aren't you in Brisbane now? It must be awfully hard to converse with the locals considering you come from the dimmer Australian stock that can't tell Union and League apart!

:D No, not yet - will be moving from HK to Brisvegas in July next year. And i'll have you know, you whippersnapper, that my knowledge of Union, League and 7s Rugby are probably a LOT better than your knowledge of AFL - as well as having lived in Sydney for about 18 months, i've visited NSW and Queensland many, many times over the last 20 years as my wife is a NSW country girl originally (from Macksville), plus all the times i've had to watch the version either in pubs, bars, or live here in HK for the last 11 years. (The HK Rugby Sevens is BIG weekend in the local calendar)

So to reply to your smartarse comment, i can indeed tell the difference between Union and League; this is how i generally like to differentiate them - Union is like the sit-down toilet of sports, while League is like a squatty-crapper.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 22 Nov 2018, 12:00

fange wrote: squatty-crapper.

A contender.
Question authority.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 22 Nov 2018, 12:00

Deebank wrote:Was/is polytheism any better than monotheism?

Yes, because it does not legitimate the authoritarian model.

I'd really like to write more about this, as the reification of concepts into thing-like facticities (my favourite phrase from my years of reading sociological theory) from which people are alienated, and by which they are controlled or defined, is very much where I live, and after all I started this thread, but I really need to set aside a couple of hours and am hellishly busy at the moment, soz to all.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 22 Nov 2018, 12:04

Difficult to say really. The issue with trying to decide whether one form of religion was better than another is that we have defined the term "religion" as a separate thing, whereas during polytheistic times, there simply wasn't such a concept.

In the western world Polytheism was generally inclusive, at least during the Roman Empire. Syncretism was common - in that various gods from various lands were syncretized into new ones and that people could worship their gods as long as they also recognised the corporate Roman ones, which also included family members, emperors etc. These would be inserted with increasing frequency into the calendar so that, in many cases, you were recognising some official person on a weekly basis. It was a significant part of how people "became" Roman as it were.

A central concept of polytheism, as I understand it, were that anthropomorphic gods walked amongst you, whereas Monotheism has a different concept of divinity - an all encompassing "power" as it were.

Why people converted to Christianity from Polytheism is another difficult question. It's obvious that they did so in increasing numbers during the 2nd century CE, but lots of different sects were also popular at the time.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 22 Nov 2018, 12:11

Rayge wrote:

Yes, because it does not legitimate the authoritarian model.

I'd really like to write more about this, as the reification of concepts into thing-like facticities (my favourite phrase from my years of reading sociological theory) from which people are alienated, and by which they are controlled or defined, is very much where I live, and after all I started this thread, but I really need to set aside a couple of hours and am hellishly busy at the moment, soz to all.

Fair dos.

I would question to what extent there is any such thing as true monotheism - in that all religions have demigods and other supernatural entities and miraculous humans etc don't they? Or perhaps I should have listenned more in RE :?

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 22 Nov 2018, 12:19

Deebank wrote:Or perhaps I should have listenned more in RE :?

and in English
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 22 Nov 2018, 12:22

The horse population never has fully recovered from the layoffs caused by the horseless carriage.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 22 Nov 2018, 18:15

fange wrote:
The Red Heifer wrote:

:D No, not yet - will be moving from HK to Brisvegas in July next year. And i'll have you know, you whippersnapper, that my knowledge of Union, League and 7s Rugby are probably a LOT better than your knowledge of AFL - as well as having lived in Sydney for about 18 months, i've visited NSW and Queensland many, many times over the last 20 years as my wife is a NSW country girl originally (from Macksville), plus all the times i've had to watch the version either in pubs, bars, or live here in HK for the last 11 years. (The HK Rugby Sevens is BIG weekend in the local calendar)

So to reply to your smartarse comment, i can indeed tell the difference between Union and League; this is how i generally like to differentiate them - Union is like the sit-down toilet of sports, while League is like a squatty-crapper.

Smartarse comments are what I do best! :lol:

And for the record, I lived in Perth for a year and went out with an Adelaide girl (the former Heiferette) for nearly 4 years so I know my AFL well enough :)
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Return to “Nextdoorland”