Mankind's Worst Invention

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

Which in your view has created the most misery and distress? (up to three)

Monotheism
22%
Money
6%
Fascism/Objectivism (Ayn Rand authoritarian life-hating shit)
6%
Ballistic Weaponry (from arrows to ICBMs, anything that kills at a distance)
8%
The Steam Engine/Industrial Revolution
6%
Nation-States/Borders
11%
The Beatles
3%
Prog
8%
Rugby Union
11%
Other (please specify)
14%
Another (please specify)
3%
Yet another (please specify)
3%

Total votes: 36

Rayge

Mankind's Worst Invention

Postby Rayge » 21 Nov 2018, 14:19

Whenever I've come across a question like this before, I've always gone for weaponry/explosives, but now I see them as symptoms.
People's most damaging creations are the ideas that fuel the nonsense. There's something positive to be said for all the things on my list (except Objectivism – and prog, natch), but by Walrus they've unleashed a whole load of shit as well.
What say you BCB?

Poll edited for three choices and chance to change votes, both of which were intended from the beginning.
Feel free to vent or explain/not explain choices.
Last edited by Rayge on 21 Nov 2018, 14:53, edited 3 times in total.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Re: Mankind's Worst Invention

Postby Jimbo » 21 Nov 2018, 14:29

Monotheism has got to be it followed up by borders - oh and land ownership.
Question authority.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 21 Nov 2018, 14:44

Plastic

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 21 Nov 2018, 15:59

Every new story I hear about Facebook's misdeeds makes me think that might be it, but it's so darn addictive.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 21 Nov 2018, 16:02

The Industrial Revolution will probably be the death of us.
In terms of the destruction of the planet, it is quite simply the worst thing we've ever inflicted on the other inhabitants.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 21 Nov 2018, 16:13

Money, and the myriad cruel and sadistic ways people use to procure it, is at the heart of almost every shitty thing perpetrated on the planet by mankind.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 21 Nov 2018, 16:51

Toby wrote:The Industrial Revolution will probably be the death of us.
In terms of the destruction of the planet, it is quite simply the worst thing we've ever inflicted on the other inhabitants.

I doubt we would have been able to feed that many without it. And it has lifted many, many people out of dire poverty.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 21 Nov 2018, 16:55

Organized religion/monotheism
Communism
Overpopulation from the practice of having too many children in the hope that at least one will provide
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 21 Nov 2018, 17:32

GoogaMooga wrote:Overpopulation from the practice of having too many children in the hope that at least one will provide

:lol:

"oh well, we'll try again - maybe the NEXT one won't be a fat greedy bastard..."
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 21 Nov 2018, 17:56

These are all symptoms of the biggest issue that faces us - the notion that one human is inherently superior or more important than another. Unfortunately, this is a notion that is based in human instinct, as much as we may pretend otherwise.

As most of these are concepts, I voted for weapons and the industrial revolution, as these are the means by which we accomplish our self-destruction. Even money is just a concept - it has no inherent worth.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 21 Nov 2018, 19:19

Republicans.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 21 Nov 2018, 21:11

The need to belong and self-identify with a group. As soon as more than two people begin to identify themselves as being part of a coherent group or tribe, whether it's based on artificial ideas such as religion, statehood, family ties, or nipple-count, the world turns to shit for someone else.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 21 Nov 2018, 21:50

Darkness_Fish wrote:The need to belong and self-identify with a group. As soon as more than two people begin to identify themselves as being part of a coherent group or tribe, whether it's based on artificial ideas such as religion, statehood, family ties, or nipple-count, the world turns to shit for someone else.

This happens at the simplest level of family so I’m struggling to see how you could ever eradicate such a concept.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 21 Nov 2018, 21:52

Where's the Footy option?
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 21 Nov 2018, 22:08

Toby wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:The need to belong and self-identify with a group. As soon as more than two people begin to identify themselves as being part of a coherent group or tribe, whether it's based on artificial ideas such as religion, statehood, family ties, or nipple-count, the world turns to shit for someone else.

This happens at the simplest level of family so I’m struggling to see how you could ever eradicate such a concept.

Oh, I've no doubt it comes from the evolutionary need to protect and nurture your family, which is why I didn't leave it out, even in a flippant comment, and I don't think you can eradicate it. But given most things that people feel passionate about, enough to kill without question, are artificial constructs based on that instinct, I think that's the worst invention of mankind (not exclusively mankind, we just took it to a different level).
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 21 Nov 2018, 22:27

sloopjohnc wrote:Where's the Footy option?

It's called Rugby Union in this one.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 21 Nov 2018, 22:29

I'm actually tempted to vote Rugby Union as a boring game of Union is one of the most tortuous things on the planet, but the Ireland NZ Test I watched in Sunday was thoroughly absorbing so it gets a reprieve. Besides, Australian Rules is WAY worse :lol:

Either way the answer is conservative talk radio.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 21 Nov 2018, 22:33

Chewing gum
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 21 Nov 2018, 23:15

Polishgirl wrote:Chewing gum

on the pavement in Oxford Street

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 21 Nov 2018, 23:24

toomanyhatz wrote:These are all symptoms of the biggest issue that faces us - the notion that one human is inherently superior or more important than another. Unfortunately, this is a notion that is based in human instinct, as much as we may pretend otherwise.

this nails it. the other biggies are as you say symptoms... or tools to enforce and perpetuate the underlying problem.

along with massive destruction and global threats, i would add the ridiculously awful state of education as a right, as a need, for a functioning society and for the future of humans. then again, it behooves those superior types to keep the sheep stupid.

that being said, underwire bras and coffee vending machines can fucque right the hell off.

Return to “Nextdoorland”