Postby Walk In My Shadow » 11 Nov 2018, 19:24

Just asking for a friend.

Before he gets the 3CD version.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: Are the Esher Demos worth it?

Postby naughty boy » 11 Nov 2018, 19:32

It's just beatless ( :) ) acoustic strumming, like plain boiled rice.

The really good stuff is on discs 4 5 and 6.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 11 Nov 2018, 19:44

I want a second opinion.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 11 Nov 2018, 20:20

Don't listen to Coan, he hates acoustic music. They're great - every single one impresses, either for how fully- formed they are, or for bringing out qualities not as prominent in the fully-produced version. Absolutely worth having.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 11 Nov 2018, 20:23

I should add, also, that Paul is the best acoustic accompanist of the three by far. Although John and George are more inventive overdubbers.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 11 Nov 2018, 20:31

I wasn't thrilled by them. A bit dull.
You don't like me...do you?

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 11 Nov 2018, 23:19

The Esher Demos are the albatross of the whole collection.

Lets say you ordered a gourmet meal (the album, the outtakes) and the restaurant insisted you also have a heaping side of parsley* brought to your table (the demos).

*Edited for "reduced crassness".

I mean, "acoustic music" in theory, but this isn't exactly Pentangle we're talking about here. These demos have been around forever, and I did duly attempt a "good faith listen" yesterday in some vain hope that hearing them all together and cleaned up (as a half dozen of them were on Anthology 3 a couple of decades back) would reveal some heretofore evasive charm, and I'm afraid they still strike me as sort of sub-perfunctory (which the Beatles never were) and generally free of chemistry and spark.

"Happiness is..." might be the jewel of the demos - John sounds "present" in a way that stands out.
Last edited by Bent Fabric on 12 Nov 2018, 09:46, edited 1 time in total.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 11 Nov 2018, 23:22

Granted, if "Beatles minus magic" scratches a particular itch you might have....

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 12 Nov 2018, 00:45

My take is somewhere between hatz's and JSJ's. They're... "interesting." I'm happy enough to have them, but I doubt they'll be played all that much.

I will say this, though: the Esher version of "What's The New Mary Jane" is far more listenable than the EMI one (for what little that distinction is worth). And I kinda wish George had revisited "Circles".

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 12 Nov 2018, 02:55

Oh, and I like the demo for "Sour Milk Sea" better than the Lomax record (I may be on my own with that one).

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 12 Nov 2018, 02:56

Looks like i'm gonna have to splash for the full set rather than just the 2-disc release. :(
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 12 Nov 2018, 02:58

Charlie O. wrote: And I kinda wish George had revisited "Circles".

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 12 Nov 2018, 03:14

Bent Fabric wrote:
Charlie O. wrote: And I kinda wish George had revisited "Circles".

Ha! I half-expected such a response - there's a bunch of GH albums I can't claim to know well.

Listening now. Let me rephrase: I wish he'd revisited it somewhere in the 1968-1971 time frame (with or without the Fabs).

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 12 Nov 2018, 03:26

A fun(?) thought: we've always talked about whittling the White Album down to one LP... or not. But I say it could have been a triple!

Bearing in mind that there are five normal-length LP sides' worth of music squashed into those four sides... they only would have had to fill another 17-20 minutes to make a triple with normal-length sides. And they had "Junk", "Circles", "Sour Milk Sea", "Mean Mr. Mustard", "Polythene Pam", "Not Guilty", "Child Of Nature" (maybe Paul could have encouraged John to write a better lyric - although it probably wouldn't have been "Jealous Guy" at that point), "Look At Me", "You Know My Name" and a few others to pick from...

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 12 Nov 2018, 09:36

Charlie O. wrote:Ha! I half-expected such a response - there's a bunch of GH albums I can't claim to know well.

Listening now. Let me rephrase: I wish he'd revisited it somewhere in the 1968-1971 time frame (with or without the Fabs).

Yeah, for sure there's something about a Ray Cooper co-production credit that suggests George at his most checked out.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 12 Nov 2018, 10:13

Charlie O. wrote:A fun(?) thought: we've always talked about whittling the White Album down to one LP... or not. But I say it could have been a triple!

Bearing in mind that there are five normal-length LP sides' worth of music squashed into those four sides... they only would have had to fill another 17-20 minutes to make a triple with normal-length sides. And they had "Junk", "Circles", "Sour Milk Sea", "Mean Mr. Mustard", "Polythene Pam", "Not Guilty", "Child Of Nature" (maybe Paul could have encouraged John to write a better lyric - although it probably wouldn't have been "Jealous Guy" at that point), "Look At Me", "You Know My Name" and a few others to pick from...

Well, "Across the Universe", absolutely.

(Lamentably, the lovely and lilting "Goodbye" dates from the following year)

And (though I sadly can't find it on YouTube), I may have finally accepted that my own deep and undying love of the unedited/unmixed (and oft-bootlegged!) Take 4 of "What's the New Maryjane"* is probably a solitary pursuit. For me, it would have been the jewel of any record it graced (3 LP White Album or elsewhere) - for lack of any better descriptor, I find it quite "colorful" (ala the emerging acid anarchy of the MMT/Yellow Submarine era).

Two LPs is probably just right, but...it's tempting to wonder how utterly mad the world's biggest group would have seemed plunking down a triple LP set just in time for Christmas 1968.

*Re "Maryjane", I first heard it HERE -

something like 35 years ago

Also available here:

and elsewhere.

You can find it a fairly doctored and somewhat neutered mix of it on Anthology 3.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 12 Nov 2018, 14:04

Bent Fabric wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:A fun(?) thought: we've always talked about whittling the White Album down to one LP... or not. But I say it could have been a triple!

Well, "Across the Universe", absolutely.

No reason to exclude "Hey Jude"/"Revolution"
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 12 Nov 2018, 14:58

Listening now on Spîtofoi.

Some of these are better than the originally released product!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 12 Nov 2018, 16:23

I'm not buying the album, but I did listen to them through my music service which I do pay for.

They're interesting in the way some of the anthology demos are, a look into the formation or gestation of finished songs. I think it's always interesting to see the evolution of songs.

It's like going to the British museum and seeing edited drafts of famous works by authors.

Huck Finn wasn't Huck Finn until it was published.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 12 Nov 2018, 16:44

I heard an interesting version of "Helter Skelter" on the Sirius Beatles channel the other day. What's that on?
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Return to “Yakety Yak”