What it says on the tin.
never/ever

70s Cup Final Round Match 12 *TCE 14- Mantochanga 12*

Postby never/ever » 10 Nov 2018, 20:58

A

Sparks – The Number One Song In Heaven

B

Raspberries – Overnight Sensation

Last edited by never/ever on 17 Nov 2018, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

sloopjohnc

Re: 70s Cup Final Round Match 12

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Nov 2018, 23:50

B
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 11 Nov 2018, 01:38

Easy vote for my fellow Bruins....Vote A...

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 11 Nov 2018, 11:21

One thing this Cup has taught me is that "power pop" is perfectly rotten as a genre. There isn't much POP there, ironically - it's all big distorted power chords and roaring trucker vocals. Unsubtle, unmusical, unfun

I love Sparks but I'm not a big fan of their disco stuff. This one is probably my favourite from the album, altho' 30 seconds is enough before the relentless synth hammering pummels my gut and I get the feeling I'm going to throw up

A
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 11 Nov 2018, 11:58

I thought I knew A well, but I'd forgotton how ethereal those verses are with Russell Mael's voice drifting beautifully over the whole thing. I actually prefer the verses to the chorus (although that's fine). Lovely stuff.

There was nothing for me in B. Overblown and ponderous.

A

Purgatory Brite

Postby Purgatory Brite » 11 Nov 2018, 14:47

A I'm something of a late convert to the music of Sparks.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 11 Nov 2018, 15:39

As much as I love Sparks its not their greatest track, its ok but nothing special, Overnight Sensation on the other hand is a pop masterpiece, calling it "overblown" is missing the point. Its a BIG production for sure, but it works perfectly, the backing harmonies, the piano line, the way the drums kick back in after the false fade never fails to give me chills. Its a genius , joyous record that always sounds fresh and it slays me everytime I hear it.

B

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 11 Nov 2018, 16:07

Sparks are often at their best when they are really UP. Music to dance to, pop ecstasy. Hiring Moroder was a stroke of brilliance really. The whole album is great and this is undeniable.

A
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 11 Nov 2018, 16:37

A is ok but I'm not the biggest Sparks fan, and matey still creeps me out.

B is annoyingly catchy and sounds so 70s to me

B
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 11 Nov 2018, 21:06

A is sounding very much my kind of thing, a synth line that reminds me of Throbbing Gristle's "Something Came Over Me", a driving insistent sequencer stomp. I'm not too much of a fan of the vocals as much as the vocoded (or whatever) aaaahhhhhhs. Oh, a change of pace now, and it's really ramped up the glitter-ball and proto-acid squelches. This is a bloody lovely track. It feels like it's saving what's becoming a fairly miserable final round. Want me banned now, Dougie? Do ya, ya bastard?

B sounds like something Queen would've recorded. You can imagine Freddie belting this out at the top of his voice. He'd have made a better fist of it, too. Which makes it sound like I've immediately made a connection between his sexuality and fisting. Which wasn't the case at all, but now I've pointed it out, it shows that I actually did make that connection. So I can't really win. I probably shouldn't have written that, it's only going to make me look bad. Which wasn't the intention, but now I've got nothing to say about the song, which is rubbish.

A
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 11 Nov 2018, 21:09

:lol:

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 11 Nov 2018, 21:15

Darkness_Fish wrote:A is sounding very much my kind of thing, a synth line that reminds me of Throbbing Gristle's "Something Came Over Me", a driving insistent sequencer stomp. I'm not too much of a fan of the vocals as much as the vocoded (or whatever) aaaahhhhhhs. Oh, a change of pace now, and it's really ramped up the glitter-ball and proto-acid squelches. This is a bloody lovely track. It feels like it's saving what's becoming a fairly miserable final round. Want me banned now, Dougie? Do ya, ya bastard?

It's not my song!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 11 Nov 2018, 21:24

Goat Boy wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:A is sounding very much my kind of thing, a synth line that reminds me of Throbbing Gristle's "Something Came Over Me", a driving insistent sequencer stomp. I'm not too much of a fan of the vocals as much as the vocoded (or whatever) aaaahhhhhhs. Oh, a change of pace now, and it's really ramped up the glitter-ball and proto-acid squelches. This is a bloody lovely track. It feels like it's saving what's becoming a fairly miserable final round. Want me banned now, Dougie? Do ya, ya bastard?

It's not my song!

Oh, ok. Shall I just fuck off then?
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

C
Robust

Postby C » 12 Nov 2018, 09:51

I didn't enjoy either - sorry

Abstain

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 12 Nov 2018, 12:52

Mike Boom wrote:As much as I love Sparks its not their greatest track, its ok but nothing special, Overnight Sensation on the other hand is a pop masterpiece, calling it "overblown" is missing the point. Its a BIG production for sure, but it works perfectly, the backing harmonies, the piano line, the way the drums kick back in after the false fade never fails to give me chills. Its a genius , joyous record that always sounds fresh and it slays me everytime I hear it.

i'll take this, although i am not as much of a fan of it as you are. yer close enough.

that sparks track ended up clubbing me over the head with relentless repetition. and i like a LOT of sparks.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 12 Nov 2018, 12:55

Moroder/Sparks was a great, but all too brief, partnership though perhaps because they pretty much nailed it on that one album there was no need to continue. This two part title track is perfect with it's dreamy, ambient disco intro that explodes into a full on glitterball glory.

I really liked B which sounded like a joyous Beach Boys pastiche, in fact I could easily imagine it on Holland.

An very enjoyable tie but I'll go A

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 12 Nov 2018, 13:20

A is bloody brilliant, isn't it
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Osgood

Postby Osgood » 12 Nov 2018, 14:29

I was only familiar with Kimono My House from this lot, and it is a pending subject for me to explore further, but A is not compelling for that, I hated it.

Give me the Beach Boys impersonators instead.

B
Nobody's ferpect.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 12 Nov 2018, 18:24

The Sparks is ugly, smarmy, and endless for good measure.

I would love for B to be a lot better than it is - it expresses a fairly universal adolescent dream in very direct terms - but it just doesn't have that much catchiness or melody to it - which you'd think would be necessary for a song on the subject. It does have that lovely production touch, though. So I'm basically rewarding it for its ideas - which are great ones - rather than for its execution, which is a bit scattershot.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 13 Nov 2018, 01:11

Very good match. I've always enjoyed 'OS's mix of sounds and styles, pop and rock put through the production mill and then thrust into the airwaves. But A was one of my fave songs from that period, and still has a lot of magic in it.

A
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Return to “Other Competitions and Cups”