The last truly great Elvis Presley album

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

The last truly great Elvis Presley album

Postby GoogaMooga » 03 Nov 2018, 16:39

Elvis Presley's "That's the Way It Is", his twelfth studio album - that is, two thirds studio, one third live. Recorded and released in 1970, at a critical juncture between the 68 comeback special and the glitz of the Vegas years. As you can see, the jump suit is in place, but he still turns in a powerful performance, and the studio cuts are to die for. The last truly great Elvis album? I am inclined to think so. And I've only got the bare bones reissue, how about FTD's eight disc expanded? Whoa...

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Charlie O.

Re: The last truly great Elvis Presley album

Postby Charlie O. » 03 Nov 2018, 17:32

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 03 Nov 2018, 17:39

What was the one where he cracked up, "Love Me Tender"?
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 03 Nov 2018, 18:19

Elvis Country came after That's the Way it is.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 03 Nov 2018, 20:15

GoogaMooga wrote:What was the one where he cracked up, "Love Me Tender"?

Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Ghost of Harry Smith

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 03 Nov 2018, 23:47

Matt Wilson wrote:Elvis Country came after That's the Way it is.

Thanks Matt, I came here to say the same thing. Elvis Country is a solid LP.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 04 Nov 2018, 01:58

"Elvis Country" was derived from the same 1970 sessions as the studio tracks on That's the Way It Is, and it's a good call. Personally, I think "That's the Way It is" has a slight edge over "Elvis Country", but they are both truly great. "Elvis Country" has the advantage of being compiled as a concept album of sorts.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 04 Nov 2018, 09:18

GoogaMooga wrote:"Elvis Country" was derived from the same 1970 sessions as the studio tracks on That's the Way It Is, and it's a good call. Personally, I think "That's the Way It is" has a slight edge over "Elvis Country", but they are both truly great. "Elvis Country" has the advantage of being compiled as a concept album of sorts.

That " I was born " reprise thing drives me nuts. It would be much better without it. That's the way it is is a great record, but then sometimes Moody Blue is pretty good too.
You don't like me...do you?

TG

Postby TG » 04 Nov 2018, 18:11

Truly great-

Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 04 Nov 2018, 18:30

But not really an album.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 04 Nov 2018, 18:33

The best things he ever recorded.

TG

Postby TG » 04 Nov 2018, 18:42

Matt Wilson wrote:But not really an album.

It’s a collection of songs on a single LP or CD. Sounds like an album to me. If it’s only an album if it was recorded as such then the Beatles have almost no US albums. They were put together from collections of UK album tracks and singles. What should we call them?
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 04 Nov 2018, 18:53

They were meant to be singles only, never recorded for any album. I'd call it a singles collection.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 04 Nov 2018, 18:59

TG wrote:

It’s a collection of songs on a single LP or CD. Sounds like an album to me. If it’s only an album if it was recorded as such then the Beatles have almost no US albums. They were put together from collections of UK album tracks and singles. What should we call them?

We should call them American Beatles albums - which everyone knows are put together from collections of UK album tracks and singles, and then Dave Dexterized with needless echo until said tracks no longer resemble their UK counterparts.

TG

Postby TG » 04 Nov 2018, 19:04

GoogaMooga wrote:They were meant to be singles only, never recorded for any album. I'd call it a singles collection.

I can't imagine the day when I might say to myself that I want to listen to the Beatles Revolver singles collection. And I doubt that anyone else would. It's an album.

What would you call a collection of live tracks issued on an LP or CD but taken from different venues and dates? What is a greatest hits or various artists collection issued on an LP or CD? I think you're splitting hairs.

TG

Postby TG » 04 Nov 2018, 19:07

Matt Wilson wrote:
TG wrote:

We should call them American Beatles albums - which everyone knows are put together from collections of UK album tracks and singles, and then Dave Dexterized with needless echo until said tracks no longer resemble their UK counterparts.

But we do call them albums. What would you call the collection known as Hey Jude or the Red and Blue double, um, things. I think that you, too, are splitting hairs. I'm not sure that there is a rule that an album has to be recorded as a single work. It's a collection of songs issued as a single piece. From whatever source.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 04 Nov 2018, 19:08

Tom, you're the one who's splitting hairs. The Sun Sessions is in no way an album. It's a collection of sessions which span different years. It's an album in the sense that live albums and compilations are, but in no other way. Now, it's true that some albums have songs from different sessions, some even going back years, but those songs are appearing on LP for the first time - unlike The Sun Sessions.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 04 Nov 2018, 19:10

Well then, to use Tom's loose definition of album - any collection of songs issued by the label company is one then. In that sense, The Sun Sessions is an album.

TG

Postby TG » 04 Nov 2018, 19:16

Matt Wilson wrote:Now, it's true that some albums have songs from different sessions, some even going back years, but those songs are appearing on LP for the first time - unlike The Sun Sessions.

In what way is that "unlike The Sun Sessions"? They were "songs from different sessions, some even going back years" and they appeared on the Sun Sessions LP for the first time. You seem to be saying exactly that. Where is the line drawn?

TG

Postby TG » 04 Nov 2018, 19:20

Matt Wilson wrote:Well then, to use Tom's loose definition of album - any collection of songs issued by the label company is one then. In that sense, The Sun Sessions is an album.

Where is it codified that an album needs to be anything more than a collection of songs issued as a piece? I own Greatest Hits albums, compilation albums, various artist albums, etc. Do we need a different name for each of them?

What is a photo album but a collection of photos in a book? Do they all need to be taken by the same person at the same time?

Return to “Yakety Yak”