Chris Stapleton - any good?

Do talk back
`

Chris Stapleton - any good?

Postby ` » 25 Oct 2018, 11:32

He's topping the bill at Country2Country at the O2 ext March with Lyle Lovett and a couple of other acts on the undercard.

Love LL and have always wanted to see him. As there's nothing on search, does anyone here know anything about CS?

Mike Boom

Re: Chris Stapleton - any good?

Postby Mike Boom » 25 Oct 2018, 15:10

Yeah, he's good,highly esteemed country songwriter, he's won a ton of country music awards over the last few years.
Love his version of this

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 25 Oct 2018, 16:03

His first solo album was extremely good.

The following two (Songs from A room 1&2) less so.

He also did pretty good time with the Steel Drivers.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 25 Oct 2018, 16:17

Walk In My Shadow wrote:His first solo album was extremely good.

The following two (Songs from A room 1&2) less so.

He also did pretty good time with the Steel Drivers.

Ditto.

Walk In My Shadow, Muskrat and I seem to be the biggest, active C&W fans on here, besides Baron who's not posting that much nowadays.

I'm not as big a fan as some people, but he's good. C&W acts seem to thrive in live settings (that's kinda where they make their bones), so I'd definitely see them. It's rarely I see a C&W or Americana act on stage and say they're better on record and it doesn't really matter if they're more gregarious or low-key on stage.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

`

Postby ` » 25 Oct 2018, 18:07

Cheers guys. Be worth it to see LL. CS will be a bonus

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 25 Oct 2018, 18:22

caramba wrote:Cheers guys. Be worth it to see LL. CS will be a bonus

That’s the way I would look at it.

I haven’t spent a lot of time with Stapleton but I’m always very underwhelmed when I do. Ultimately, I’d rather just listen to old records. They’re invariably better and more rewarding to me than whatever new stuff is “authentic” or “actually country” or however it’s been sold to appeal to people like me. But if he’s playing somewhere I’m already gonna be, I’d happily give him my attention.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 25 Oct 2018, 18:36

LeBaron wrote:
caramba wrote:Cheers guys. Be worth it to see LL. CS will be a bonus

That’s the way I would look at it.

I haven’t spent a lot of time with Stapleton but I’m always very underwhelmed when I do. Ultimately, I’d rather just listen to old records. They’re invariably better and more rewarding to me than whatever new stuff is “authentic” or “actually country” or however it’s been sold to appeal to people like me. But if he’s playing somewhere I’m already gonna be, I’d happily give him my attention.

In that wheelhouse, I like Hayes Carll much better, but I've read where people think he's playing up the good ol' boy act a little much.

I guess I have a tendency to fall for it if I like the music. I don't like Stapleton's as much, so it's less believable to me.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 25 Oct 2018, 19:04

Well I don’t believe or disbelieve any of it, I just don’t get much out of it. With that said, I might enjoy it live, but I’ve seen Stapleton making the rounds on TV and I never watch long.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 25 Oct 2018, 19:15

Have you heard Tyler Childers? His Purgatory album is pretty neat.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 25 Oct 2018, 19:19

Walk In My Shadow wrote:Have you heard Tyler Childers? His Purgatory album is pretty neat.

It is indeed.

For the OP, I agree with others here. His first LP is marvellous and I'd go if he was in my area.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

`

Postby ` » 26 Oct 2018, 09:34

Got TX just to cross LL off my and my wife'\s bucket list. CS was and is a bonus. Thanks to everyone's feedback will only get his first album and not the two From A Room Ones to get some kind of advance idea of what he's like though.

While the O2 is no sort of venue to really appreciate acts like LL, the wife and I saw Emmylou H and Margot P (neither of them really suited to enormodomes) at March's C2C. Topping the bill that night was a band called Little Big Town who I'd never heard of and wound up being excellent live

There are a couple of other acts that are new to me on next March's C2C undercard - Ashely McBride and Drake White and the Big Fire.

Either worth missing out on an over-priced pint at the 02 bar for?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 26 Oct 2018, 16:42

An album I've been enjoying in this vein is Parker Milsap's Other Arrangements.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 26 Oct 2018, 17:50

sloopjohnc wrote:An album I've been enjoying in this vein is Parker Milsap's Other Arrangements.

I have the previous one. Damn good too.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 26 Oct 2018, 19:46

Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

`

Postby ` » 29 Nov 2018, 10:52

Bought Traveller, very good it is, too. Given the comments here and on Amazon, not sure if will chase up the two From a Room albums, though.

Thanks for all your feedback

`

Postby ` » 11 Mar 2019, 10:58

Caught him at Country2Country at the 02 last night. He was fucking excellent - just him and a rock solid bass and drum rhythm section plus the occasional harmonizing from his heavily pregnant missus. Ashley McBride who was second on the bill was also pretty damn good. Sandwiched in between them was Lyle Lovett and his Quasi Cowboy Band. While have always wanted to see LL, the 02 was not the place and between two balls to the wall festival crowdpleasing sets from AMcB and CS was not the optimal time

Return to “Yakety Yak”