25%

Total votes: 28

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Potato preparation poll

Postby Minnie the Minx » 22 Oct 2018, 17:12

Potatoes are ace.
But which way do you like em best?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Re: Potato preparation poll

Postby Jimbo » 22 Oct 2018, 17:25

Baked, and here's how I do 'em.

Take a potato and wash it well, Then take a fork and poke holes all about it. Then rub some course salt on the skin and then bake for about 35-40 minutes, When done the skin will be a little bubbled, salty and crispy, and the rest of the potato delish.
Question authority.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 22 Oct 2018, 17:32

When you have a Swedish mom, you have potatoes made for you in every conceivable way. The Swedes love their potatoes.

They love their färskpotatis, or new potatoes the most, but we had them every night almost.

I like 'em all, but had chose chips or french fries.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 22 Oct 2018, 17:46

It's hard to beat Roasted.

Our household favourite is to chop them into very small pieces, salt generously and then cover with olive oil and rosemary before roasting. Then you get maximum crunch, which I prefer to say, 2 or 3 larger potatoes.

I'm a bit meh about baked unless it's cheese and beams with Worcester sauce.

I love chips, but only proper fish and chip shop ones.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 22 Oct 2018, 17:54

Chips (UK) - the fat ones are unbeatable. But I also like those spicy twisters or whatever they are called, those spiral ones.

Boiled potatoes are a staple here, had them all my life, and they are the most boring food in the world. Just incredibly blah.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 22 Oct 2018, 18:00

Boiled spuds are pretty much the most miserable food I can think of, so I tend to add tons of salt, garlic, and rosemary sauted off in olive oil to give them some taste. Roast or rosti are the obvious nicest way, the more surface area to crisp up and burn, the better. Mash with butter and a wholegrain mustard is ace too.

Never really make chips, though I occasionally do resort to oven chips in desperate circumstances. If you spray them with quite a bit of cooking oil, and whack the temperature up, they can be edible.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 22 Oct 2018, 18:02

My mom used to take leftover mashed potatoes, make them into patty and fry them. Brown and crispy on the outside and mash potatoey on the inside. They were great.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 22 Oct 2018, 18:11

I'll take any off that list except perhaps for 'boiled' which is just the most boring way to prepare potatoes.

I wish Markus were still here - it'd be nice to have a true connoisseur weigh in.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 22 Oct 2018, 18:17

Isn’t it weird that everyone is dissing boiled potatoes yet mash,which is a joy, is only boiled potatoes, mashed?

Perhaps it’s a textural pleasure more than taste.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 22 Oct 2018, 18:21

I really like boiled potatoes.

The only type I really don't like a ton is Au Gratin.

I'm not a huge fan of hash browns either.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 22 Oct 2018, 18:23

But part of mashing spuds is adding all the butter and salt and whatever else you fancy. Where boiled is just spud.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 22 Oct 2018, 18:24

Darkness_Fish wrote:But part of mashing spuds is adding all the butter and salt and whatever else you fancy. Where boiled is just spud.

You just add that later.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 22 Oct 2018, 18:26

And have spuds sat on a lake of butter? Ick, no thanks.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 22 Oct 2018, 18:40

Really good chippy chips are food of the gods but something of a dying breed in my experience. I love oven chips too though and the ones you get in JDs and places like that (i.e. just frozen oven chips deep fried).

Roast tatties are god like too. They are one of my specialities. You don't need duck or goose fat though (duck is better in my experience). Just plain olive or veg oil will do that job and keep that tattie taste.

Creamy mash is one of those seasonal foods. For autumnal days with sausage and gravy. I like it creamy with plenty butter and a bit of milk (not necessary though). Double cream if I'm feeling posh.

Crisps are wonderful too of course. One of those everyday treats.

I voted chips though. I am Scottish so I'm genetically programmed to adore anything deep fried like that
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 22 Oct 2018, 19:08

One thing we used to do was bake them, throw them in the fridge and then slice them up and sauté them in butter in a skillet the next day.

Season to taste. Really nice consistency.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 22 Oct 2018, 19:12

My supervisor's parents were Portuguese, by way of Hawaii. He grew up with rice every day and hates potatoes. Every culture gets their starch some way and a lot depends on how you grew up with them. No revelation, but I think a lot of this has to do with texture of the food you're used to.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 22 Oct 2018, 19:12

Denmark is an untapped market for fish'n'chips shops. They are basically non-existant here. There was a pitstop in my town the first few years I lived here, but the guy probably went back to the UK. Any entrepeneurial spirit should give it a go here.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 22 Oct 2018, 19:16

Pansy Puff wrote:A classic combination chosen in Chinese takeaways in Manchester was Egg Fried Rice and Chips. Obviously we wanted to make sure we didn't miss out on any of our starch.

Egg fried rice and chip butties

Dr Markus wrote:

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 22 Oct 2018, 19:27

Boulangere.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 22 Oct 2018, 19:42

Roasted red potatoes halved / cubed with olive oil, minced garlic, crushed black peppercorns, and parmesan cheese. Maybe some parsley on top to make 'em purdy. Yum.

Return to “Nextdoorland”