Directors You Hate

..and why not?
Jimbly

Directors You Hate

Postby Jimbly » 11 Oct 2018, 19:29

Seeing as we had a Top 5 Directors Thread, lets list the ones we hate.

Shall I start, don't have to give reasons, if you don't want to.

1) Gaspar Noe
2) Wes Anderson
3) Nicolas Winding Refn
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Samoan

Re: Directors You Dislike

Postby Samoan » 11 Oct 2018, 19:47

I don't care to watch Woody Allen movies much any more but that's my look out.

I didn't enjoy anything I've seen directed by the Coens, including The Big Lebowski but with the exception of Miller's Crossing.

Tarantino talks about Django Unchained ...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/9794854/Quentin-Tarantino-in-furious-rant-over-Django-Unchained-violence-questions.html

Last edited by Samoan on 12 Oct 2018, 10:48, edited 3 times in total.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: Directors You Hate

Postby GoogaMooga » 11 Oct 2018, 19:57

I am careful with what I see nowadays, I simply don't have enough time left to waste two hours on tripe. So, can't say I have been let down repeatedly by any director in recent years.

I have noticed a precipitous drop in quality by some directors whose early work I enjoyed, to the point where I avoid them now:

George Lucas
David Cameron
Peter Jackson

Also, based on what bits and pieces I have endured, I wouldn't consciously seek out anything by:

Shyamalan
Jodorowsky
Michael Bay
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 11 Oct 2018, 19:59

GoogaMooga wrote:I am careful with what I see nowadays, I simply don't have enough time left to waste two hours on tripe. So, can't say I have been let down repeatedly by any director in recent years.

I have noticed a precipitous drop in quality by some directors whose early work I enjoyed, to the point where I avoid them now:

George Lucas
David Cameron
Peter Jackson

Also, based on what bits and pieces I have endured, I wouldn't consciously seek out anything by:

Shyamalan
Jodorowsky
Michael Bay

Yet, you waste hours buying and listening to tripe.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 11 Oct 2018, 20:02

Jeemo wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:I am careful with what I see nowadays, I simply don't have enough time left to waste two hours on tripe. So, can't say I have been let down repeatedly by any director in recent years.

George Lucas
David Cameron
Peter Jackson

Shyamalan
Jodorowsky
Michael Bay

Yet, you waste hours buying and listening to tripe.

To you, yes, but not necessarily to the rest of the world. I'll admit I am pickier with films, two hours is a lot to invest.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 11 Oct 2018, 21:27

GoogaMooga wrote:David Cameron

Yeah, The Referendum was pretty much the end of the line for his directing career.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 11 Oct 2018, 21:43

I've yet to enjoy a Wes Anderson film.
Peter Greenaway was a bugbear of mine back in the day, but it's so long since I've watched one that maybe I'll come round. I don't know what his reputation is these days, you don't hear much about him.
There's probably all sorts of contemporary Hollywood blockbuster type directors I wouldn't have much time for, but I don't waste my time watching those films to begin with.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 11 Oct 2018, 21:50

Greenaway is so easy to hate, one doesn't even need to have seen the films. The titles alone...

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 11 Oct 2018, 21:51

Forced to see a Jarman film, I might pick "Blue", such a calming color...

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 11 Oct 2018, 22:14

Michael Bay is pretty much a surefire sign it won't be "my kind of movie."

Most everyone else is inconsistent - I mean, I like Spielberg and Tarantino a whole lot less than the rest of the world seems to. But I can't deny they've both done a few great movies in their time.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 11 Oct 2018, 22:16

There are zillions of directors who are rubbish, or who are probably rubbish but I'm not going to watch one of their rubbish-sounding films to find out.

But I don't "hate" them.

There are a handful who get critical acclaim who I consider to be vastly overrated - Haneke and Del Toro spring to mind - but again, I don't hate their work so much as find it lacking. They are still no doubt more talented, creative and intelligent than the masterminds behind Alien Vs Predator.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 11 Oct 2018, 22:55

Michael Winner
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 11 Oct 2018, 22:58

HEN wrote:Michael Winner

What even this..?

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 11 Oct 2018, 23:00

oh I don't know

I'm not going to spend several hours to find out which directors have made really bad films
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 11 Oct 2018, 23:00

Spielberg
Judd Apatow
Baz Luhrmann
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 11 Oct 2018, 23:25

Bearing in mind that I more or less stopped going to the movies in the 1980s, so have no experience of Bay or Cameron, for instance, or many of those on here, I'll go with old bugbears
1 Jean-Luc Godard
2 Stanley Kubrick
3 Antonioni
4 Alain Resnais
and offer no explanation beyond that they bored and/or alienated me, more than once
Edit oh, and JC reminded me
5. Michael Winner
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 11 Oct 2018, 23:29

HEN wrote:oh I don't know

I'm not going to spend several hours to find out which directors have made really bad films

Most of Winner's 60s films are actually quite enjoyable in a lightweight way.
He was a bumptious and arrogant person though and made some terrible films in the latter part of his career, so I can understand why you'd say him.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 11 Oct 2018, 23:39

I suspect it might be the politics of Winner's vigilante films, that are the issue here. Me, I collect his films.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 11 Oct 2018, 23:48

Hmm... 8 out of 42 might not be enough to judge, but he had a good 1970s.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 12 Oct 2018, 05:00

Oliver Stone
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Return to “Screenadelica”