14%
NO it's RUBBISH
No votes

Total votes: 14

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

JC's Godlike Genius #1

Postby naughty boy » 09 Oct 2018, 14:07

You know what I like about this? It's basically rock and roll - 4/4 beat, strong, elemental guitar riff - but all the wild stuff they add actually improves on that old template. They go in the right direction.

I swear I've been addicted to the song ever since I first heard it 30 years ago, and every time I hear it I want to throw things up in the air.

I mean, yeah, Pere Ubu had a career and multiple albums and they're still going, and DT did all that avant-garde wailing sailor solo shit - but this, in all its thrashing, keening lunacy, is really something close to genius.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Dayodead

Re: JC's Godlike Genius #1

Postby Dayodead » 09 Oct 2018, 14:20

Their first two albums are must haves...(The Modern Dance, Dub Housing)

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 09 Oct 2018, 14:24

I bet they wouldn’t play it if they were headlining a festival though
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 09 Oct 2018, 14:28

They didn't play it when I saw them a couple of years ago...
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 09 Oct 2018, 14:46

That's the best track off their debut album, no doubt, but there's just a little something lacking about it for me, that stops it being properly great. I think there's all the elements there, but I think I just want Dave Thomas to go that bit wilder, or that synth backing to really push out and go somewhere. It just feels like they restrained themselves a touch.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 09 Oct 2018, 15:04

HEN wrote:You know what I like about this? It's basically rock and roll - 4/4 beat, strong, elemental guitar riff - but all the wild stuff they add actually improves on that old template. They go in the right direction.
I swear I've been addicted to the song ever since I first heard it 30 years ago, and every time I hear it I want to throw things up in the air.
I mean, yeah, Pere Ubu had a career and multiple albums and they're still going, and DT did all that avant-garde wailing sailor solo shit - but this, in all its thrashing, keening lunacy, is really something close to genius.

Yes to all of that: I would lob in some of the Hearthan singles, too, as signs of genius, but I do tend to see most bands as getting their best stuff out early in their careers: speaking of which, John, I expect you're familiar with that Rocket from the Tombs double – some storming, raw, early versions of some songs that turned up on The Modern Dance.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 09 Oct 2018, 15:11

It is genius. Totes amazeballs.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 09 Oct 2018, 15:13

Early singles, collected. Probably their finest moment(s).
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 09 Oct 2018, 15:19

Darkness_Fish wrote:That's the best track off their debut album, no doubt, but there's just a little something lacking about it for me, that stops it being properly great. I think there's all the elements there, but I think I just want Dave Thomas to go that bit wilder, or that synth backing to really push out and go somewhere. It just feels like they restrained themselves a touch.

You know what, I think that's where the genius lies with something like 'N-AP' - it treads that line between wild and out there and traditional rock and roll sounds and structure PERFECTLY. Any fuckers can push the board into the red, go nuts with sound effects or try and be a whacky Chick Corea on the keys, but keeping it all dialed in and serving a great tune and songs - that's hard.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 09 Oct 2018, 15:22

Precisely.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 09 Oct 2018, 15:24

Rayge wrote:
HEN wrote:You know what I like about this? It's basically rock and roll - 4/4 beat, strong, elemental guitar riff - but all the wild stuff they add actually improves on that old template. They go in the right direction.

Yes to all of that: I would lob in some of the Hearthan singles, too, as signs of genius, but I do tend to see most bands as getting their best stuff out early in their careers: speaking of which, John, I expect you're familiar with that Rocket from the Tombs double – some storming, raw, early versions of some songs that turned up on The Modern Dance.

Yeah, love it all. I don't play it too often tho' because the sound quality is pretty bad. And that stuff's important.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 09 Oct 2018, 15:44

fange wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:That's the best track off their debut album, no doubt, but there's just a little something lacking about it for me, that stops it being properly great. I think there's all the elements there, but I think I just want Dave Thomas to go that bit wilder, or that synth backing to really push out and go somewhere. It just feels like they restrained themselves a touch.

You know what, I think that's where the genius lies with something like 'N-AP' - it treads that line between wild and out there and traditional rock and roll sounds and structure PERFECTLY. Any fuckers can push the board into the red, go nuts with sound effects or try and be a whacky Chick Corea on the keys, but keeping it all dialed in and serving a great tune and songs - that's hard.

Listen, sunshine, what did I say about wanting your opinion? ;)

I'm saying the genius isn't in pushing the dials into the red and going nuts with the sound effects, but just opening up more when you have a traditional song structure. I'd give X Ray Spex's "Oh Bondage! Up Yours!" as a good example of where not having such a good tune, but pushing the boundaries of taste a bit more create something great.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Oct 2018, 15:46

Another vote for the early singles and the first two albums. Nobody else really sounded like Ubu, did they? Every time one of those songs comes up on my iPod I gotta crank it.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 09 Oct 2018, 16:04

That’s a brilliant track. I love those first two albums with my favorite being Dub Housing (don’t hate me).
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 09 Oct 2018, 16:58

Yes to all that. It’s very much part of a rock n roll continuum. Futuristic, weird, definitely but very definitely still rock ‘n’ roll. It’s not something you hear these days of course. I get something similar from Roxy. What was that Ian MacDonald line? Retro rock from the future? You can hear the eternal wildness of something like Surfin’ Bird in there plus some 70s factory noise and cobwebs.

Great song. Fabulous album. One of those goto records for kids who want the power and electricity of rock n roll but with added lashings of weird. As Monty Burns would say, “excellent”.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 09 Oct 2018, 18:24

Modern dance is an American classic very much in the same mould as The Modern Lovers, Blank Generation and Marquee Moon. peerless records. It never ceases to thrill.
You don't like me...do you?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Oct 2018, 18:28

Michael, how come you give the Americans a pass with all that punk stuff, yet condemn the Clash and Pistols?

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 09 Oct 2018, 18:32

yomptepi wrote:Blank Generation

:x

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Oct 2018, 19:06

I thought you liked that album, John.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 09 Oct 2018, 19:09

Matt Wilson wrote:I thought you liked that album, John.

He does. It's just a Pavlovian response: when presented with any list or group of things, he feels compelled to seize upon something and label it shite.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Return to “Yakety Yak”