Killers
Cult

REPURCHASED

Tull

CULLED

Kelly Clarkson

VERDICT STILL OUT

Killing Joke
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Re: What should I cull next?

Postby Muskrat » 08 Oct 2018, 05:11

Some years ago, I put thousands of CDs into a storage locker. It took me two years to realize that I hadn’t even visited the locker, let alone retrieved an album. I took that as a sign. And keep in mind, these were albums I’d kept after rounds of culling through the years.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 08 Oct 2018, 05:20

I effectively culled my collection when I sold all my LPs and started from scratch. I was a lot more discerning when it came to replacing with CDs and there's really very little I could find to cull now, though others may have a different opinion if they saw my shelves :D

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 08 Oct 2018, 07:03

Yeah, I realize at some point I will have to make painful decisions. I find paperwork to be quite similar, you keep all that paperwork, cuttings, notes, letters, whatever for ten - twenty years and never look at it. Then one day you throw the whole lot away.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

joels344

Postby joels344 » 09 Oct 2018, 16:11

I did something similar about 4 years ago. Went through my entire music (and film) collection and put everything I didn’t want into a huge basket. I ended up making about $400 by simply re-selling them at a used record store. I still can’t believe how well that turned out to this day.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 09 Oct 2018, 16:34

I have to admit I'm kind of curious as to whether I'd like Saga.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Oct 2018, 17:26

pcqgod wrote:I have to admit I'm kind of curious as to whether I'd like Saga.

As I was. Believe me, I tried very hard to like them. I wanted to like them.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 09 Oct 2018, 20:49

The first one is prolly their biggest tune in Canada~

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 09 Oct 2018, 22:06

Loki wrote:

The first one is prolly their biggest tune in Canada~

Thanks. "On the Loose" was actually a big radio hit in the US also, so I already know that one.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 Nov 2018, 11:42

The cull continues: I am not getting rid of nearly enough, but now at least I am also ditching Reef, Daryl Braithwaite, and Muse. Oh, did I already mention Muse?

Next in line: Richard Marx...

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 06 Nov 2018, 14:36

GoogaMooga wrote:Tori Amos

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 27 Jan 2019, 13:24

Just been through about 300 CD's, and all I could cull was a pitiful eight CD's. That's a drop in the ocean. In addition to the usual petrol station CD's, I've decided to get rid of Indigo Girls, Faith Hill, and Sandi Thom. Sandi Thom is an idiot, and Faith Hill and Indigo Girls are just plain boring.
Last edited by GoogaMooga on 27 Jan 2019, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 27 Jan 2019, 16:30

The Modernist wrote:
C wrote:Mrs Mills....?

:shock: What's Quaco's wife ever done to Googa?

Nothing, I hope.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 27 Jan 2019, 19:31

Just cullin'

Carlisle Wheeling

Postby Carlisle Wheeling » 29 Jan 2019, 19:13

GoogaMooga wrote:Yeah, I realize at some point I will have to make painful decisions. I find paperwork to be quite similar, you keep all that paperwork, cuttings, notes, letters, whatever for ten - twenty years and never look at it. Then one day you throw the whole lot away.

So true. I’ve been culling my vinyl (a second major cull, the first being a round 1990, as CD fever took hold) but paperwork is, as you say, also a major issue.

Over the last few weeks I’ve been working through a couple of boxes of Vox magazine. I can’t bring myself to just bin them but having said that, so far I haven’t found a “keeper”, so I probably should have. I know i’ll find other mags much harder. And as for cuttings etc...

PS the funny thing is, I’d unloaded a lot of vinyl but I’ve recently bought a dozen or so new vinyl albums... my first for 20+ years. And there will be more! Life goes on.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 30 Jan 2019, 01:12

Carlisle Wheeling wrote:
So true. I’ve been culling my vinyl (a second major cull, the first being a round 1990, as CD fever took hold) but paperwork is, as you say, also a major issue.

Over the last few weeks I’ve been working through a couple of boxes of Vox magazine. I can’t bring myself to just bin them but having said that, so far I haven’t found a “keeper”, so I probably should have. I know i’ll find other mags much harder. And as for cuttings etc...

PS the funny thing is, I’d unloaded a lot of vinyl but I’ve recently bought a dozen or so new vinyl albums... my first for 20+ years. And there will be more! Life goes on.

The worst thing is when you bin back issues of something that turns out to be worth $$$... like my Comics Buyer's Guide papers from the 1980s. Very few people thought to keep them , CBG seemed like just a disposable newspaper.

`

Postby ` » 30 Jan 2019, 09:07

GoogaMooga wrote:
Carlisle Wheeling wrote:

The worst thing is when you bin back issues of something that turns out to be worth $$$... like my Comics Buyer's Guide papers from the 1980s. Very few people thought to keep them , CBG seemed like just a disposable newspaper.

Look on the bright side, if everyone kept every copy, they wouldn't be worth anything anyway.

Return to “Yakety Yak”