How do you choose songs for a cup?

Do talk back
sloopjohnc

How do you choose songs for a cup?

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Oct 2018, 19:54

I'm interested how people go about it without divulging any trade secrets. I have none, so here it goes.

Last night, I started deciding what songs I'd pick for the '70s cup when I was running on the treadmill.

I went on my music service and started looking up songs and eventually chose 30 or 40 and put them on a playlist. I really wanted to include Bubble Puppy's Hot Smoke and Sasafrass, but it was released in 1968 so I had to nix that.

But I just randomly choose a bunch of songs I like in a variety of genres, just brainstorming, so I have my bases covered, then I cull or winnow from my big list. Obviously, I'll even a personal bias on genres that I think might be slightly overlooked and be a surprise, but it's about as simple as that.

The '70s are a little easier for me as I was in jr. high and high school from '73 to '79, which spans a lot of the decade.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: How do you choose songs for a cup?

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 Oct 2018, 20:01

It's always tempting to do one genre or one theme lists, but I don't know if they will go very far. Usually I pick some CD's at random - various artists being the best for this - and look for semi-obscure stuff. Mix in a few heavy hitters from off the top of my head. Google a few lists to jog the memory. Ready to go.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 06 Oct 2018, 20:50

sloopjohnc wrote:I'm interested how people go about it without divulging any trade secrets. I have none, so here it goes.

Last night, I started deciding what songs I'd pick for the '70s cup when I was running on the treadmill.

I went on my music service and started looking up songs and eventually chose 30 or 40 and put them on a playlist. I really wanted to include Bubble Puppy's Hot Smoke and Sasafrass, but it was released in 1968 so I had to nix that.

But I just randomly choose a bunch of songs I like in a variety of genres, just brainstorming, so I have my bases covered, then I cull or winnow from my big list. Obviously, I'll even a personal bias on genres that I think might be slightly overlooked and be a surprise, but it's about as simple as that.

The '70s are a little easier for me as I was in jr. high and high school from '73 to '79, which spans a lot of the decade.

Yeah, it was a shit decade sure enough.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 06 Oct 2018, 20:59

I tend to skim through my collection on rateyourmusic, looking for a wide variety of stuff that isn't obvious, or obviously going to get people's backs up on here. That last bit is really difficult. So I also try and pick out a couple of tracks that I know no-one will like (well, none of the non-imdb crowd). I try and pick out a few obscurities I like, steer clear of anything I'm deeply attached too, and then after a good week of painstaking introspection, change my mind at the last minute and pick any old shite that springs to mind.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Oct 2018, 21:15

Jumper K wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:I'm interested how people go about it without divulging any trade secrets. I have none, so here it goes.

Yeah, it was a shit decade sure enough.

:lol:

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 06 Oct 2018, 23:57

30 percent songs I think are really good that everyone will like;
50 percent songs that will confuse and/or anger listeners;
20 percent atypical songs by artists that I know people will immediately write off based on who the artist is, just to see how many people bothered listening.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 07 Oct 2018, 01:38

I think long and hard to find the best Molly Hatchet songs to put on the list..

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 07 Oct 2018, 02:08

Dayodead wrote:I think long and hard to find the best Molly Hatchet songs to put on the list..

You too?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 07 Oct 2018, 02:15

A '70s cup is easy and hard. I'm so wired into that decade, but maybe too much so. My attachment to Takin' Care of Business and We're an American Band is probably too strong, at least for guys like Moddie and Goatboy who never wore burgundy corduroy flares or platform shoes to their confirmation.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 Oct 2018, 09:09

It's just instinctive for me, I'll think of half a dozen things right away. Then over the next few days I'll maybe substitute one or two things to get a better balance. It doesn't require research or going through lists of things or anything like that.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 Oct 2018, 09:12

sloopjohnc wrote:A '70s cup is easy and hard. I'm so wired into that decade, but maybe too much so. My attachment to Takin' Care of Business and We're an American Band is probably too strong, at least for guys like Moddie and Goatboy who never wore burgundy corduroy flares or platform shoes to their confirmation.

I seem to remember I did have a pair of burgundy cords! I very much grew up in the 70s.
Picking these selections feels quite personal for me in a way many of the other cups don't. Nostalgia has certainly played a part in a few of my selections.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 07 Oct 2018, 10:46

Two Floyds, two Sabbaths, a Zep, a Joni, a Wonder, two Punks and Another Girl, Another Planet.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 07 Oct 2018, 10:54

The Modernist wrote:It's just instinctive for me, I'll think of half a dozen things right away. Then over the next few days I'll maybe substitute one or two things to get a better balance. It doesn't require research or going through lists of things or anything like that.

That's exactly how my 90's list came about. I'm not nearly calculating enough......
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 07 Oct 2018, 11:14

I find it difficult to gauge how people vote in every Cup, - sometimes you get Cups where the 'obvious' tracks get punished but more often I find that people haven't got the patience to listen to stuff they don't know and vote for anything decent they know already.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 07 Oct 2018, 11:26

I keep lists in PMs. Long lists, with lists I submit.

What a nerdlinger.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 07 Oct 2018, 11:38

I get drunk and then pick whatever makes me feel good. Foolproof.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 07 Oct 2018, 11:58

After my first Cup experience with the 90's, I have abandoned trying to figure out what others are going to like and have stayed in my slightly under the radar aesthetic...Maybe I'll get lucky and something obscure I place connects with somebody, which is pretty cool (Like Pram did last Cup)......The only thing I try to do otherwise is not choose something my like minded brethren, those happy few, might put on theirs...

I really hope we get nine songs, because my current list is rather long...

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 07 Oct 2018, 12:37

Dayodead wrote:I think long and hard to find the best Molly Hatchet songs to put on the list..

Was Flirtin With Disaster from the 70’s?

algroth

Postby algroth » 07 Oct 2018, 17:56

I go for tracks I really like that I also feel others here may enjoy, or that stand on their own regardless of a greater 'album' context, or which I simply want to show. I also tend to build my lists as a bit of an album/mix all of its own, even though that seems a little pointless what with the song v. song system and so on.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 07 Oct 2018, 18:17

The Modernist wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:A '70s cup is easy and hard. I'm so wired into that decade, but maybe too much so. My attachment to Takin' Care of Business and We're an American Band is probably too strong, at least for guys like Moddie and Goatboy who never wore burgundy corduroy flares or platform shoes to their confirmation.

I seem to remember I did have a pair of burgundy cords! I very much grew up in the 70s.
Picking these selections feels quite personal for me in a way many of the other cups don't. Nostalgia has certainly played a part in a few of my selections.

Me too. I didn't know I had this reputation, but for my 25th high school reunion, I was picked to make the music selection. At one point, late in the evening, I went outside and just listened and said to myself, "Damn, I'm good."

Return to “Yakety Yak”