Roger Moore films that are better than "Diamonds"

..and why not?
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Roger Moore films that are better than "Diamonds"

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Oct 2018, 04:53

Most Bond fans will agree that Sean Connery is the best, most authentic Bond, but his successor, Roger Moore, who gets a lot of flak for his minimal acting, raised eyebrow thing, and general flippancy, gets judged too harshly. Sure, Moonraker is crap, but he made decent ones too that tend to get overshadowed by the colossal failure that was Moonraker.

Here are my bids for Moore pix that were better than Diamonds, Connery's last Broccoli Bond.

Live and Let Die
The Man With the Golden Gun
The Spy Who Loved Me
For Your Eyes Only

On a side note, "Moonraker" became one of the highest-grossing movies of the franchise. :o
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

pcqgod

Re: Roger Moore films that are better than "Diamonds"

Postby pcqgod » 08 Oct 2018, 23:55

'Diamonds' was terrible; Connery looked old and out-of-shape already and it featured some of the worst Bond girls and villains in the series. The guy who played Blofeld didn't even bother to shave his head! By comparison, nearly all the Moore Bonds are better, except of course 'Moonraker' and maybe 'A View to a Kill.' I think 'For Your Eyes Only' is one of the better Bond movies taking into account the entire series, actually.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Oct 2018, 08:47

Agree, but would also include Octopussy as being worse than Diamonds.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Oct 2018, 14:28

No, all Moore Bonds are by definition worse than any of Connery's - even Diamonds.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 09 Oct 2018, 16:18

Matt Wilson wrote:No, all Moore Bonds are by definition worse than any of Connery's - even Diamonds.

True, case could be made for Live and Let Die, apart from that they are mostly dreck.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Oct 2018, 17:06

Spy Who Loved Me would be my pick for a Moore Bond, but the drop off in quality from Diamonds to Live and Let Die was apparent even to my ten-year old daughter when I showed it to her a couple of months ago.

driftin

Postby driftin » 09 Oct 2018, 18:12

Moonraker is one of the worst films of any series but the majority of Moore's Bonds are very silly but highly enjoyable. They are easily better than Diamonds are Forever.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Oct 2018, 18:17

Diamonds are Forever is cack, the exact same sort of cack as any of the Moore Bonds.

It's all down to whom you prefer to watch in said cack. As for me, I'll go with Connery.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 09 Oct 2018, 19:19

The Spy Who Loved Me is probably the best of a bad lot. Half-decent film, Barbara Bach and a good car. That's about it.

Moonraker has the best soundtrack of the lot, even if the film is a screaming mess.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 09 Oct 2018, 21:43

The Moore films are atrocious, much worse than you remember. A few years back, I thought I’d get some retro / nostalgic kicks out of watching the Man With The Golden Gun - and it’s desperately bad, virtually unwatchable despite the things you may think would help it - Christopher Lee, Britt, the theme, the desert island lair. Tawdry, cheap rubbish, it’s a miracle the franchise lasted through this run. Love old Roger, but these Carry On Bond movies are guff.

Diamonds is dreadful as well but a clearly past it Connery still retains a watchability that gives the tacky mess the nod.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Oct 2018, 21:52

I think some of the Moore films had a kind of kitschy charm, at least. The ones that leave me completely cold are the ones with Brosnan.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 09 Oct 2018, 21:58

GoogaMooga wrote:I think some of the Moore films had a kind of kitschy charm, at least. The ones that leave me completely cold are the ones with Brosnan.

Yeah, who cast that guy?

GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 09 Oct 2018, 22:01

I’d need to watch them again - and I’m in no rush to - but my recollection is that the first and third Brosnan movies were decent to pretty good, the second a misfire and the fourth a mindbogglingly bad abomination.

Almost exactly the Daniel Craig hit rate, as it happens (although those are clearly better all round).

Middle aged men (hey!) love talking about Bond.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 09 Oct 2018, 22:04

It's a long time since I saw any of them but I remember Moore's films being enjoyable - to varying degrees - but none of them stood up to any of the good Connery ones; I'd take the better ones over Diamonds (and Never Say Never Again obviously) though.

The first Brosnan film was really good, one of the best since Connery, and after that it was downhill.

Craig's first and third were really good and the other two were toss.

Dalton's two were pretty good action/spy movies but not really Bond.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Oct 2018, 22:06

If Connery was past it in Diamonds, what must he have been like in '83 for Never Say Never Again?

And that one is still better than Octopussy!

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 09 Oct 2018, 22:09

People on this thread need to watch 'For Your Eyes Only' again.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Oct 2018, 22:14

I've seen them all within the last few years when I bought the box set.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Oct 2018, 22:32

Matt Wilson wrote:If Connery was past it in Diamonds, what must he have been like in '83 for Never Say Never Again?

And that one is still better than Octopussy!

That was the thing, Connery's return in NSNA was a marked improvement over Diamonds. He didn't try to downplay his advanced age, the hairpiece, or any of that. He played the role like you'd settle into your most comfortable suit from your youth.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 09 Oct 2018, 22:35

They all meld into one for me, I find it difficult to remember them individually. The Spy Who Love Me had the scene with Jaws on the train right?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 09 Oct 2018, 22:47

I have a friend who prefers Moore to Connery. His reasoning is that Bond has always been ridiculous so Moore's Bond took this to its natural conclusion.

The first three are good. Kitsch, of course but at this point the kitsch was just kept in check. Ok, maybe not but so what? They scream 70s and happy matinees with the old man growing up. Something things you can't shake and why would I? They're just fun movies to watch on a Sunday afternoon. Moonraker is shark jumping terrority and at this point enjoying them ironically is the only option but it's still an option I can enjoy. I have a high tolerance I guess but I draw the line at Brosnan.

A View To A Kill is one of the great Bad movies of all time! Moore's so stiff he needs oiling. Grace Jones! Christopher Walken as some aryan Nazi cunt! Genius!

I also like Diamonds and Never Say Never Again. Klaus Maria Brandauer is a charismatic villain. One of the better ones in fact.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Return to “Screenadelica”