Led Zeppelin - almost as bad live as The Rolling Stones

Do talk back
naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Led Zeppelin - almost as bad live as The Rolling Stones

Postby naughty boy » 06 Oct 2018, 00:02

I can't work it out but it sounds absolutely fucking dreadful. Is it because Page is turned up too high? Or did they need another guitarist?
Last edited by naughty boy on 06 Oct 2018, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Re: Led Zep at the O2

Postby yomptepi » 06 Oct 2018, 00:06

It's how they always sounded live. Big open spaces where there should be crashing rhythm chords. Also Plant can't sing it anymore, Page cannot play it any more and JPJ wants to be in Foreigner. Jason did his best , but was neither drunk nor stoned enough to be anything like his dad.
You don't like me...do you?

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 06 Oct 2018, 00:30

It's just a mess. A big shitty trebly car crash fucking mess, no separation, drums that sound like cardboard boxes. Abysmal.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Oct 2018, 08:36

It doesn't have the faultless production values or playing chops of "Fall In A Hole" I grant you, but it wasn't so bad on the night.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 06 Oct 2018, 09:17

Diamond Dog wrote:It doesn't have the faultless production values or playing chops of "Fall In A Hole" I grant you, but it wasn't so bad on the night.

Oh, I can well believe it. The recorded show sounds like bees in a fag packet.

Mind you, isn't the O2 known for poor acoustics?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Oct 2018, 10:19

HEN wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:It doesn't have the faultless production values or playing chops of "Fall In A Hole" I grant you, but it wasn't so bad on the night.

It's a fucking great warehouse. It's less than ideal for acoustics, yes. But considerably better than, let's say, the Royal Albert Hall (for non acoustic stuff anyhow).

I actually agree with you regarding the O2 show - it sounds very compressed. Are you watching it on TV or DVD, or listening to the CD etc?

As for this
yomptepi wrote:It's how they always sounded live. Big open spaces where there should be crashing rhythm chords. Also Plant can't sing it anymore, Page cannot play it any more and JPJ wants to be in Foreigner. Jason did his best , but was neither drunk nor stoned enough to be anything like his dad.

I guess he woul prefer that they had got ' a band' in to play the music, and just stuck the Led Zep 'part' out there as figureheads - you know, the way The Who do now... the way Clapton has for 40 years, the way virtually every other fucking band does these days? And then, no doubt, he'd complain about 'lack of authenticity' or somesuch old bollocks. More to the point, he clearly knows fuck all about Jason Bonham - he may be Bonzo's son, but he isn't in the same universe as a drummer. He did a competent job, but he was never there to replicate his dad's work. He was there as the closest living member of the original band - which was the idea of there only being four of them out there.

Suck on that, Bear.
Cocaine

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 06 Oct 2018, 10:26

I haven't see the whole concert but from what I have seen I think Jason did a really good job. He's not his dad but he still had something of the old mans essence.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 06 Oct 2018, 10:29

Diamond Dog wrote:
HEN wrote:

It's a fucking great warehouse. It's less than ideal for acoustics, yes. But considerably better than, let's say, the Royal Albert Hall (for non acoustic stuff anyhow).

I actually agree with you regarding the O2 show - it sounds very compressed. Are you watching it on TV or DVD, or listening to the CD etc?

TV - it was on Sky Arts last night. There were moments, honestly, when it was just a storm of tinny noise. One song towards the end - I'll see if I can find it.

I mean, yeah, the performance looks great, but I'd rather listen to the 1969 Denmark set. Clearer, sharper, tighter.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Oct 2018, 10:46

HEN wrote:TV - it was on Sky Arts last night. There were moments, honestly, when it was just a storm of tinny noise. One song towards the end - I'll see if I can find it.

I mean, yeah, the performance looks great, but I'd rather listen to the 1969 Denmark set. Clearer, sharper, tighter.

TV is never really a good medium for music.... oddly enough, even with all the advancements made. It's why Peter Grant only ever agreed to TV two or three times in their career - and all in early '69. He hated the sound.

Of course - the Danish TV stuff is incredible. The Staines Supershow version of "Dazed & Confused" is fucking mighty too. Don't forget - the band had existed all of just over 8 months by then. Despite what some say in the early days they were tight and focused and dynamic beyond words really. It all started getting a bit woozy when the 10 minute drum solos and 30 minute guitar epics and 15 minute keyboard pieces kicked in - they still had it but, even for me, trying to listen to whole shows from 72 onwards is a mammoth struggle. Somwhere there is a mighty mighty chronological album of their best stuff throughout their career out there - but dear Robert is just saying no and, until he relents or shuffles off this mortal coil, we aren't getting it.

Goat Boy wrote:I haven't see the whole concert but from what I have seen I think Jason did a really good job. He's not his dad but he still had something of the old mans essence.

There is and, as I said, he's competent. But let's not beat about the bush - he's not in the same league as Bonzo. There again - no one is. As time goes on, I'm more and more convinced that John Bonham was the 'secret ingredient' that distinguished Led Zeppelin from the rest. Much like Moon was with The Who. You take them out, the band aren't the same, no matter how great the others are and the songwriting is.
Cocaine

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 06 Oct 2018, 10:52

Sky Arts also had a 'best drummers ever' countdown last night, by the way. Bonzo was number 2 or number 3. You'll never guess who took the top spot...

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 06 Oct 2018, 10:54

Karen Carpenter
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Oct 2018, 10:56

The Slider wrote:Karen Carpenter

:lol:

According to the Melody Maker's Readers Poll in 74 (I think).
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Oct 2018, 10:56

HEN wrote:Sky Arts also had a 'best drummers ever' countdown last night, by the way. Bonzo was number 2 or number 3. You'll never guess who took the top spot...

Dave Grohl?
Cocaine

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 06 Oct 2018, 11:10

Diamond Dog wrote:I guess he would prefer that they had got ' a band' in to play the music, and just stuck the Led Zep 'part' out there as figureheads - you know, the way The Who do now... the way Clapton has for 40 years, the way virtually every other fucking band does these days? And then, no doubt, he'd complain about 'lack of authenticity' or some such old bollocks. More to the point, he clearly knows fuck all about Jason Bonham - he may be Bonzo's son, but he isn't in the same universe as a drummer. He did a competent job, but he was never there to replicate his dad's work. He was there as the closest living member of the original band - which was the idea of there only being four of them out there.

Suck on that, Bear.

My admiration for Bonham knows no bounds. I think Page is an astonishing guitarist. Well, he could be. But he missed nearly every single big cue at that gig. Although I suppose he did it all the time when they were still touring. Maybe it was a volatility of their performance that made the great shows so magnificent, and the bad ones so painful.

You didn't address my comments regarding JPJ or Plant I notice...

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 06 Oct 2018, 11:31

Diamond Dog wrote:
HEN wrote:Sky Arts also had a 'best drummers ever' countdown last night, by the way. Bonzo was number 2 or number 3. You'll never guess who took the top spot...

Dave Grohl?

No. Older.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Oct 2018, 11:36

HEN wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

Dave Grohl?

No. Older.

Got to be Phil Collins!
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Oct 2018, 11:38

yomptepi wrote:My admiration for Bonham knows no bounds. I think Page is an astonishing guitarist. Well, he could be. But he missed nearly every single big cue at that gig. Although I suppose he did it all the time when they were still touring. Maybe it was a volatility of their performance that made the great shows so magnificent, and the bad ones so painful.

You didn't address my comments regarding JPJ or Plant I notice...

Plant hasn't been able to sing it since October '72 Michael... didn't hinder them too much up until 1980 did it?

You clearly have absolutely no idea what music JPJ has been involved in the past 38 years.
Cocaine

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 06 Oct 2018, 11:38

Watched it on Sky Arts a few months ago. I like (not love ) Led Zep, but a times, I was bored shitless, mainly because of Page's endless solos. However, I was fascinated by his face, which seems to have morphed into a Spitting Image puppet.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 06 Oct 2018, 11:52

Diamond Dog wrote:
HEN wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:
Dave Grohl?

No. Older.

Got to be Phil Collins!

Not rock.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 06 Oct 2018, 12:07

Dave Clark out of the Dave Clark Five?

Return to “Yakety Yak”