Guided By Voices "Official Iron Man Rally Song"

Do talk back
Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit

Guided By Voices "Official Iron Man Rally Song"

Postby Shagger Dave » 03 Oct 2018, 01:39

Despite being a rather large Guided By Voices fan in the 1990s it had been a number of years since I had last listened to them or actively followed them (which means I missed roughly 8,000 or so releases). I was gifted a new bio on the band in general and Robert Pollard specifically which made me dust off a few of my favorites by them. While "Bee Thousand" remains my favorite long player from them, I must say this track, off of the "Under The Bushes, Under The Stars" record may be my favorite GBV track. The melody is just gorgeous, equally full of sorrow and joy, there's great hooks and the chorus. . . well, I have no idea Pollard's intent when writing it but as someone who has struggled with depression off and on for a long time it seems pretty reflective of what goes in my head sometimes:

"To die alone, to build a private zone
Or trigger a synapse and free us from our traps"

Thoughts?
He tries.

$P.Muff$

Re: Guided By Voices "Official Iron Man Rally Song"

Postby $P.Muff$ » 03 Oct 2018, 02:25

My first thought was that I miss the '90s, and then that I am old.

I'm not sure anyone could pin a definite meaning on those lyrics, it's just about what you feel. One of my favorites from that album is "Atom Eyes". It gets stuck in my head often. I haven't kept up with those guys in years. Vampire on Titus is the album I listen to most these days. What's the bio you got?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 03 Oct 2018, 02:29

To me it's always stood head and shoulders above the rest of their preposterously huge catalog (some of which I like okay).

It's like R.E.M. having a very good day. Which I realize some here won't think is any kind of praise, but it is.

Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit

Postby Shagger Dave » 03 Oct 2018, 02:38

$P.Muff$ wrote: What's the bio you got?

Pretty decent. The writing itself is a little clunky but enjoyable none the less.
He tries.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 03 Oct 2018, 21:24

Not sure if I'll ever get around to that but it's good to know it exists.

nathan
submitted for your approval

Postby nathan » 03 Oct 2018, 21:57

I think it is ok but feel the chord progressions are way too similar to Nirvana's Serve the Servants. I find it distracting.

I like Big Boring Wedding the best from that LP.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 10 Oct 2018, 22:01

There's a good, maybe great album in 'Under the Bushes, Under the Stars.' As always with GBV even at their peak, the problem is too much material and iffy sequencing. My favorite on that album is probably "Your Name is Wild."
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 10 Oct 2018, 22:33

it's like it hasn't even been sequenced - like it's on shuffle play. in fact, if you listen to it on shuffle play you're likely to hear a stronger sequencing. I like the early ones but I find the sonics problematic. I think "under the bushes.." is where it's sounding like a band instead of like some guys playing music in a bathroom. yeah, some of his strongest material is on those earliest albums but I get weary of that big, hollow, singing into a coffee can sound pretty quick these days. no doubt about it, though. "under the bushes under the stars" is the one that got me.
uggy poopy doody.

Return to “Yakety Yak”