The Complete Monterey Pop Festival

Do talk back
naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: The Complete Monterey Pop Festival

Postby naughty boy » 12 Dec 2017, 22:58

nathan wrote:I want to know what Coan thought of the film!

I bought the first Criterion release a couple years ago (minus the complete Otis and Jimi sets) and watched it for the first time then. I thought half of it was some of the most dreadfully boring shit I have ever seen, and I like a lot of Pennebaker's stuff!

Granted, I think the Mamas and the Papas are pretty much the worst.

The box is on its way, I've been told. It might be a while until I get to see all of it, tho'
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 18 Mar 2018, 02:53

nathan wrote:I bought the first Criterion release a couple years ago (minus the complete Otis and Jimi sets) and watched it for the first time then. I thought half of it was some of the most dreadfully boring shit I have ever seen, and I like a lot of Pennebaker's stuff!

Yep.

I've yet to watch the Otis and Jimi sets, but I just saw Moby Grape doing 'Hey Grandma' on the outtakes disc and it was tremendous.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 18 Mar 2018, 03:51

Wait - Moby Grape is on it?

Fuck.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 18 Mar 2018, 10:02

Just that one song, Charlie.

Quite a few other interesting outtakes (JA, Springfield, Byrds) - I'm going to dig in deeper today. I don't understand why they're so cagey about who's on these discs - not even listed on the accompanying book!

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 02 Oct 2018, 18:37

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 02 Oct 2018, 20:19

Oh, that's made my day, John!

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 02 Oct 2018, 20:25

:D

That makes me happy, Charlie!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 02 Oct 2018, 21:16

That's the stuff!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 02 Oct 2018, 21:28

Short but sweet. Thanks!

"Quite."

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 02 Oct 2018, 22:01

You're very welcome!

What a band, eh? What a band...

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 02 Oct 2018, 22:37

That Tommy Smothers was a sweetheart.

(For those who don't know the backstory, the band originally had a much, much better time slot, but their obnoxious manager pissed off the festival organizers enough that they changed it just to spite him. Tommy obviously felt bad for the band, who after all were not to blame.)

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 03 Oct 2018, 09:49

Yup. And two pieces of folklore have now been proven to be wrong. One, that they didn't get filmed because of MK's conniptions. Even Pennebaker and Adler forgot about it, until Adler ran into Jerry Miller about ten years ago and the subject came up. In the 50+ years since the event, the #1 question he gets asked, by a wide margin, is if the Grape's set was filmed. He couldn't even remember, so he went through the archive, and there it was. The other myth is that they only played four songs, the ones on the Sundazed album. According to Peter Lewis, they played eight, which I think would have been the full set anyway.

A friend of Peter's who was doing a Grape documentary which will probably never be released (not because of MK, but lack of sufficient footage to tell the tale, plus the guy moved back to Maine) was given footage by Pennebaker under strict conditions that no copies leak out. It was basically, keep it on your computer, you can borrow it for free. If you use it in your doc, we want $10,000 per minute. And no other copies exist, so you can show it to your friends, but if they get sneaky with their cell phones and post it on youtube, we'll know where they got it, and you'll hear from our lawyers. Fair deal. So one day I'm at his place, and he whips out Omaha. What a privilege it was to see it, an audience of one.

What a line-up that night:
Moby Grape
Hugh Masekela
The Byrds
Jefferson Airplane
Laura Nyro
Otis Redding

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 08 Oct 2018, 23:53

Jesus - this Al Kooper performance is a fucking chore!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 08 Oct 2018, 23:55

HEN wrote:Jesus - this Al Kooper performance is a fucking chore!

:lol:

He was working at the festival as "assistant stage manager," iirc. He talks about that in his (rather wonderful) book; strangely, he says nothing therein about performing there...

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Oct 2018, 15:53

It's that typical thing in the '60s of white guys doing their African American routine for the adoring hipsters.

Return to “Yakety Yak”